LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New S-Class might give Lexus some headaches

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 05:14 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im pretty sure Lexus have already designed the new LS and its in their HQ somewhere on a piece of paper. Wait about 3 years and itll be out. Might be late but look on the bright side, theyll know all the tricks of the other cars.

S class cant beat lexus on reliability. Mercs are not what they once were. Maybe its just me, but even their £115k SL63 amg felt cheap to me, somehow I think the S class will too, and most of those hi tech gadgets are most likely optional extras anyway.
Old 05-26-13, 07:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I will admit that the S class is the benchmark in this segment. Nobody can beat the tech that they offer in this segment from Mercedes. BMW is close but still not the best. The tech that the S class gets is what the rest of the entire industry will get over the next 7-15 years. They also offer a much better performance segment and options.
Old 05-26-13, 07:47 PM
ssrfenton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Looking at that immense screen / dashboard, the speedometer and RPM gages remind me of old Bentley/Rolls Royce style. Very vertical looking, classic... I dig it.
That dash is very English Old School. Rolls, Bently, Rover....I,ve seen it many times so this is a return to classic style from Germany...

Not sure what the fuss is about comparing to LS. MB is targeting BMW, Audi executive market to increase market share. The ride will be good but the interior will really have to impress that nich for them to switch. Since most will be leased, reliability/durability are out of the equation so Lexus is another me too in that market.

Really need to see it in the flesh to decide but it is safe to assume the interior materials should be top class
Old 05-26-13, 09:49 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by greenislex
s class owns this segment. lexus does beat it in terms of exclusivity though, because the s class is gonna be everywhere.
The LS is no where near as exclusive as the S Class. You're confusing exclusivity with rarity. Exclusivity is a function of the price since those without the money are excluded from ownership. Rarity is just being uncommon - a discontinued SC400 with low miles is rare but definitely not exclusive because they're so cheap now.

The reason the S Class sells like hotcakes is that everyone knows the S Class is king of luxury cars around the world, and rich people want cache without being ostentatious (think RR and Bentley) when they spend big bucks on a luxury ride. The LS460L is like 30k-40k less expensive than a comparably equipped S550. That's not even getting into adding the Designo paints and interior color schemes special order. AMG wheels, Burmeister sound, etc...the sticker can easily top 125k.

Last edited by aypues; 05-26-13 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 10:09 PM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by milellie11
The LS was never close to the S class. The S class totally leads this segment of luxury cars and it's not even close. Perhaps the Audi A8 pushes it slightly, but when it comes to overall luxury, ride, advanced technology and pure executive business luxury sedan, the S class tops. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that the LS is an "alternative" to the S class as it is not. It may mimick or copy some features and would have you believe that it is close to an S class, but it it is not. There is a reason why the price difference is substantial. Taking reliability out of the equation. I am not a Mercedes owner so i am not biased, but i have driven all of the large luxo sedans. I can say that you have to drive and sit inside an S class to understand that there is no such thing as a "New S-class might give lexus some headaches". lol
That's not correct. The 2004-2006 LS430 was better in reviews than the S430 of the time. Check this comparo out: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...s-ls430-page-7

Lexus 1st, Merc dead last.

Lexus started losing their way with the LS460 as everyone else upped their game.
Old 05-27-13, 12:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the new LS is a refresh at best. If the the S class is all new then the LS needs to step up. I will admit I like the new interior on the LS but that, some new brake lights, and a crease in the hood is not enough for people to call this a new LS. BMW and Mercedes have redesigned their flagships and the LS is still pretty much the same. Lexus also need to push up the horsepower offerings. 380 hp in a flagship V8 sedan is kind of low rent when you consider the Americans offer HP into the 450-500+ range.
Old 05-27-13, 04:21 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if Mercedes stole it's S-Class interior design clues from this

http://www.carbodydesign.com/2013/03...-royce-wraith/
Old 05-27-13, 04:50 PM
aypues
Instructor

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
I wonder if Mercedes stole it's S-Class interior design clues from this

http://www.carbodydesign.com/2013/03...-royce-wraith/
they don't look anything alike and you'll see if you research it more that the S Class interior was leaked months before the Wraith was announced. That said, the S Class' interior is aiming for a higher segment of the market now that Maybach is gone...It has to do double duty.
Old 05-27-13, 08:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 422 Likes on 326 Posts

It is impressive, but there is so much stuff that can break on the car.
Old 05-29-13, 05:02 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Mercedes makes a great car no doubt. they pioneered a ton of new tech abs,air bags etc(and as such are also the most lemon lawed).. but at the end of the day only one thing matters to me...RESALE VALUE... and then mercedes cant hold a candle to lexus..

and Lexus customer service is second to none...any time i went to mercedes service i always felt like i was being scolded for DRIVING... MY mercedes.."its not meant to be driven like that".. sorry grandpa's not here.. just fix the damn thing..

Last edited by Shibumi1; 05-29-13 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-29-13, 09:26 PM
HSVRX350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
But the LS has a Predator grille.........https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...d=136966943443 Official paid model for LS grille.
http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/mr...tml?sort=3&o=4
Old 05-30-13, 02:44 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The real deal! LOL
Old 05-30-13, 10:29 AM
aypues
Instructor

That's a GS!!!
Old 05-30-13, 05:33 PM