LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 with no nav system. Install one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 03:12 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 2007 with no nav system. Install one?

I searched here but do not find any threads on anyone possibly installing a nav system. Mine does not have one and I was considering trying to find a salvaged unit and installing. I believe my car is set up with the backup cameras, etc, but I don't know if it is a major hassle to install one of these.

I found a salvaged unit in another state, but no idea of any other wiring or installation gear I might need. I can do that research, but I was wondering if anyone has done this with any success (or failure).

Thanks,
Old 07-06-13, 06:09 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I searched here but do not find any threads on anyone possibly installing a nav system. Mine does not have one and I was considering trying to find a salvaged unit and installing. I believe my car is set up with the backup cameras, etc, but I don't know if it is a major hassle to install one of these.

I found a salvaged unit in another state, but no idea of any other wiring or installation gear I might need. I can do that research, but I was wondering if anyone has done this with any success (or failure).

Thanks,
Can you post a few pics of your interior and one underneath the tag lights area where the rear veiw is located.
Old 07-06-13, 09:25 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not worth it in my opinion. The nav is garbage anyways. My phone does a better job.
Old 07-07-13, 12:31 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Not worth it in my opinion. The nav is garbage anyways. My phone does a better job.
Agreed for maybe half the cost of an OEM nav you can get a plenty good Head Unit with up to date easier nav to use, blue tooth music straming, and possibly a full range equalizer for your music. Sure it might not look factory but if you have the option why not?
Old 07-07-13, 08:34 AM
mikelmco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Agree!!!

The nav sucks.........
Old 07-07-13, 08:36 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I am mistaken. I do not have the backup camera. I have the sensors in the bumpers but no backup camera. Based upon the replies above, I am scrapping my idea to install a OEM nav unit. Sorry for any waste of time reading my post.

Thanks
Old 07-07-13, 12:38 PM
mikelmco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I am mistaken. I do not have the backup camera. I have the sensors in the bumpers but no backup camera. Based upon the replies above, I am scrapping my idea to install a OEM nav unit. Sorry for any waste of time reading my post.

Thanks
Never a waste of time. Always learning more......now you know the nav is not good. I envy your position actually as you get to go out and get the latest and greatest and never have to worry about paying upwards of 300 to upgrade the maps in our fine cars.
Old 07-07-13, 05:06 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Echo pretty much what everyone said. I don't even use the nav on my car. Bought a proclip phone holder and use my phone for navigation.
Old 07-08-13, 05:40 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

you can always try a custom stereo shop to see if they can install an double din nav unit in place of the oem radio...
Old 07-09-13, 12:50 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with most...the factory NAV sux big time. Most NAVs you find your location and get the option of GO or SAVE...which is really all you need. My '08 goes into an' inquisition' after finding destination. The steps in the book yield nothing like what the display shows. A real POS!

I added an aftermarket Kenwood NAV, audio, bluetooth, DVD, CD, backup camera, yadda, yadda into my '09 Tacoma and it works fine. It uses the Garmin NAV platform. MUCH more intuitive than the lame Lexus NAV...PLUS you, or passenger, can alter settings while rolling. You can even watch a DVD while rolling, not recommended.

I looked into putting one of these in my '08 LS, but there weren't any aftermarket escutcheons that would match the existing layout of the dash, so I just use a Garmin 50LM GPS for the long road trips or finding something new around the 'hood. The escutcheon for the Taco looks like it grew there.
Old 07-23-13, 07:17 PM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Agree with most...the factory NAV sux big time. Most NAVs you find your location and get the option of GO or SAVE...which is really all you need. My '08 goes into an' inquisition' after finding destination. The steps in the book yield nothing like what the display shows. A real POS!

I added an aftermarket Kenwood NAV, audio, bluetooth, DVD, CD, backup camera, yadda, yadda into my '09 Tacoma and it works fine. It uses the Garmin NAV platform. MUCH more intuitive than the lame Lexus NAV...PLUS you, or passenger, can alter settings while rolling. You can even watch a DVD while rolling, not recommended.

I looked into putting one of these in my '08 LS, but there weren't any aftermarket escutcheons that would match the existing layout of the dash, so I just use a Garmin 50LM GPS for the long road trips or finding something new around the 'hood. The escutcheon for the Taco looks like it grew there.
Factory NAV sux alright! My SC430 NAV screwed up after I tried to upgrade with new DVD 😂
My 08 LS460 don't have NAV and I like it that way..