LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin PS2 has finally solved my vibration problems after nearly 3 years !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 10:36 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah i think i went through 7 sets of tires or so in my m3 (3 years). expensive but they are simply the best tires i have had so far, everything considered
WOW that says a lot Henry. You know I trust your opinion. Wasnt your M3 dropped ??? It was so nice cruising into work this morning with no vibrations. I got to push them a little thius morning and passed a mustang GT on a tight on ramp with ease. Lots of grip. Too bad there is a lot of body roll though. I took some pressure out of the tires last night to soften the ride and it worked well to make it even better. So happy. What a difference a tire makes !!!

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-09-13 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-09-13, 10:46 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

2500?! That is ridiculous. I know people on 22s with tires costing $600 for the set that don't have vibration. I feel bad you don't have a place that can do high speed on the car balancing like we do here in ATL. People say it doesn't matter, I know for a fact it does as particular as I am with tire balancing on my car. But, glad you are finally happy. Just make sure you get that tech's name and follow him wherever he goes. A balance is only as good as the tech doing it..remember that.
Old 07-09-13, 01:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I got the name, tipped him, and will call Discount tire corporate to tell them what a great experience I have had. I usually do that so they are really helpful the next time around.

In the end I am going to go back today and ask for the money back on the certificates for replacement. I have never had a tire replaced under warranty. If it blows, it blows. That will get me back about $300 and bring the total down to closer to $2200 and change. Every web site I found had the PS2s around the same price. I should have pulled the trigger 6 months ago when they had the front on sale at tire rack for $268 each instead of $468. Even the discount tire people said they couldnt match the price
Old 07-09-13, 02:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
2500?! That is ridiculous. I know people on 22s with tires costing $600 for the set that don't have vibration. I feel bad you don't have a place that can do high speed on the car balancing like we do here in ATL. People say it doesn't matter, I know for a fact it does as particular as I am with tire balancing on my car. But, glad you are finally happy. Just make sure you get that tech's name and follow him wherever he goes. A balance is only as good as the tech doing it..remember that.
I would rather do the cheaper tires with the high speed balancing but I don't have the option. Wouldn't you say that if a tire needs high speed balancing that maybe its not the same quality? Not sure. Not trying to bash other tires but Im sure it would be much cheaper to have the option to do that. In a perfect world I would have been able to run the Nitto INVOS that I really wanted, at a much lower price, and with perfect balancing. So you think it may be the tech and not the actual tire ?? I had my tires balanced over both sets about 19 times. NO JOKE !! I've been to the dealer, high end wheel shops, discount tire, and another independent place. Not sure but I would lean towards crappy tires. Its kind of the only common denominator . We ruled out the car, the rims, and ended up at the tires.
Old 07-09-13, 03:11 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After going back to Discount Tire for my radial pull, and them telling me it wasn't multiple times. I have to believe that some of the people working at these tires shops, don't know wtf they are doing or know what they are talking about.
Old 07-09-13, 06:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grouchy
After going back to Discount Tire for my radial pull, and them telling me it wasn't multiple times. I have to believe that some of the people working at these tires shops, don't know wtf they are doing or know what they are talking about.
I know what you mean. What I usualy do is to go back to the same shop and always deal with a manager or assistant manager. If they are not ready I make a point to wait . Only deal with the big guys. I also always make sure to call their corporate office to compliment. This will result in the staff there being notified that you were happy enough to call. The Discount tire company , like walmart, has a lot of room to for staff to move up the ladder. If a tech get a compliment from a customer and is notified by home office its a big deal. I have had guys tell me after that they got a promotion or raise they were waiting for after I called. This makes them pretty damn nice, helpful, and respectful when you come in. Try it. It will work.

Best thing to do is to tell them before they start work on your car that you will call home office to tell them they what a great job they are doing if they take good care of you. They will break their backs for you. You'll see

If you have an issue with a tire at discount tire all you need to do is tell them to take them back. I dont care if they have 1000 miles on them , they will take them back . I have done it multiple times in the past when I had my G35 and did some track driving. I was always on the prowl for the best summer tires that wouldnt break the bank. It allowed me to try tires with no risk. They are great, just let them show you.
Old 07-09-13, 08:41 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Well..Discount Tire struggled to get my balance on point. Ended up at Butler Tire here in ATL and they got it right without the on the car balancing..they did check them after Hunter balance off the car but as they spun on the car, no finishing balance adjustment was required and my car rode on glass. They balance 22s to 30s all day and know what they are doing. I did finally find a guy at discount tire who I only have balance them and he gets it right. I truly believe it is the tech that makes all the difference.

Side note..here is a good find. Some decent reviews on these tires. Im going 255 front and 305 rear for my next 22 tires and giving these a shot for my AWD. You RWD guys could benefit with the 265 size up front for added comfort. $646 shipped...dang!!

Michelin PS2 has finally solved my vibration problems after nearly 3 years !!!!!-forumrunner_20130709_233553.png

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 07-09-13, 08:52 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I know what you mean. What I usualy do is to go back to the same shop and always deal with a manager or assistant manager. If they are not ready I make a point to wait . Only deal with the big guys. I also always make sure to call their corporate office to compliment. This will result in the staff there being notified that you were happy enough to call. The Discount tire company , like walmart, has a lot of room to for staff to move up the ladder. If a tech get a compliment from a customer and is notified by home office its a big deal. I have had guys tell me after that they got a promotion or raise they were waiting for after I called. This makes them pretty damn nice, helpful, and respectful when you come in. Try it. It will work.

Best thing to do is to tell them before they start work on your car that you will call home office to tell them they what a great job they are doing if they take good care of you. They will break their backs for you. You'll see

If you have an issue with a tire at discount tire all you need to do is tell them to take them back. I dont care if they have 1000 miles on them , they will take them back . I have done it multiple times in the past when I had my G35 and did some track driving. I was always on the prowl for the best summer tires that wouldnt break the bank. It allowed me to try tires with no risk. They are great, just let them show you.
I've been told to talk to the head honcho at Discount Tire, which was the manager at the shop. Funny thing was that he was never there every time I showed up. I wanted to complain to corporate but I couldn't find a way to get a hold of them. Checked their website but couldn't find a corporate number.

Since I was getting the run around by about three different employees and getting fed up, I ended up calling another Discount Tire to see if they would work on my car instead. Not sure if it was their manager I spoke to but the guy was pretty awesome and said he would talk to the manager at the store I was at. STILL, manager was never around when I came in. Finally after the 5th time, this particular employee finally helped me out. Figured out which tire was defective and ordered me the tire. If I could get their corporate number, I would definitely call and give this guy a high review, which I did on their Yelp page (who knows if the management checks though).

I think I told them like 20 times that it was a defective tire. Not sure if you read my thread about my issue but these were a few responses I got when I told them it was a tire:

"Don't believe everything you hear at the alignment shop. We are a tire store, we know better"
"Its your suspension, it looks uneven"
"Your wheels aren't true. One wheel is off by .11 of an inch"
"If it was radial pull after we flipped one tire, it should go the other way."
"I've been working here for X years, I would know if it was a radial pull"
Old 07-09-13, 08:56 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With those price who cares how long they last I think imma buy those and sell my others and make my money back hahaha.
Old 07-09-13, 09:43 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lextrician
With those price who cares how long they last I think imma buy those and sell my others and make my money back hahaha.
Yo..if you are referring to the Delinte's, they have a decent treadwear rating and not noisy. For that price. .hell yeah. I always swap to my stocks for long road trips anyway so now that there is a new 305 offering. .I'm all over this.

And Tammer..I know how exciting it is to finally get a good balance. It is like Christmas for real!! But that $2500 is a beast..I'll get 4 sets of these Delinte tires for that lol..but seriously. .so glad you are happy man

Old 07-10-13, 12:56 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

At the rate I go through tires which is about a set a year I couldn't spend that. Hopefully after this air install I can get a proper alignment for the Highway where I'll be riding higher.
Old 07-10-13, 06:17 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have respect for someone who can fork out $2500 for tires. I guess i am getting older now that i think of the things i could do with that money. That being said, i am just going to buy used michellin or pirellis tires next time i am looking for tires. We have a ton of shops here in miami who sell tires with at least 50% tread left and i rather try used tires to see if they make my car vibrate or not so that i can buy them brand new if they have fixed the slight vibration i still have.
On a side note, my brakes are grabbing and the clunk noise is coming and going alot more. I will probably end up buying the brake module somewhere and have my mechanic friend install it for 200 dollars.
If i were to ever buy this car again, I WOULD NOT buy it with the mileage i bought it and WITHOUT warranty. Hell no.. I would much rather buy a GS460 WITH LOW MILES or even the hybrid gs.
Old 07-10-13, 11:18 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yo..if you are referring to the Delinte's, they have a decent treadwear rating and not noisy. For that price. .hell yeah. I always swap to my stocks for long road trips anyway so now that there is a new 305 offering. .I'm all over this.

And Tammer..I know how exciting it is to finally get a good balance. It is like Christmas for real!! But that $2500 is a beast..I'll get 4 sets of these Delinte tires for that lol..but seriously. .so glad you are happy man

Thank you my brother. I appreciate it. Yes, it is like Christmas. I drive to work giddy. I told my wife that car feels like her stock car and rides great. There is a 95% reduction in vibration. Im so happy now. I did go back yesterday and ask for a refund on the tire replacement certificates. It added $300 to the package. So total cost is a little over $2200. I found a website that had the Michelins for 400 less than discount tire and they said they couldnt match it because it was less than their cost. He told me to order and bring in the tires. Since I like the fact that I can return things easily at discount tire I went with them. In the end I never thought I would ever send that kind of money on a set of tires but honestly after nearly 3 years of frustration I was almost willing to do anything. Hell, I even thought about shipping my car to Butler tire in ATL to have the balance done. No joke

Originally Posted by silver305
i have respect for someone who can fork out $2500 for tires. I guess i am getting older now that i think of the things i could do with that money. That being said, i am just going to buy used michellin or pirellis tires next time i am looking for tires. We have a ton of shops here in miami who sell tires with at least 50% tread left and i rather try used tires to see if they make my car vibrate or not so that i can buy them brand new if they have fixed the slight vibration i still have.
On a side note, my brakes are grabbing and the clunk noise is coming and going alot more. I will probably end up buying the brake module somewhere and have my mechanic friend install it for 200 dollars.
If i were to ever buy this car again, I WOULD NOT buy it with the mileage i bought it and WITHOUT warranty. Hell no.. I would much rather buy a GS460 WITH LOW MILES or even the hybrid gs.
I totally understand your frustration . I would say look around and see if you can get a set cheaper or try the used route to see. I had the same annoying and strong cyclical vibration that you have so I know how frustrating it is and how strange tire people look at you when you describe how it vibrates
Old 07-10-13, 07:37 PM
ssrfenton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering your experience I think $2200 for a premium set is close to full retail but you got a fresh set too. Check the tire date codes and I think the cost is higher because they are fresh.

Many others price discount but the tire age could be 12 or 24 months old or more sitting around going out of round.

Now your next set may be same style/brand with higher tread rating providing more value then you can decide on your personal preference for traction vs wear. Tires are one of the most debated topics on auto forums and when this is combined with 20+ inch wheels the topic is always more energetic.
Old 07-11-13, 12:37 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

With my type of driving I would cry if I paid that much for tires I am the most immature one here anyways lmao

Frankyboy has the hookup! He told me, "I got a pair each of 245/30ZR22 & 295/25ZR22 for $480 shipped to Virginia. The tires have a treadwear of 360 which is great and hell for the price, I figured I'd give them a try you know. " (hope he doesn't mind me sharing that) That might be my next purchase since I shredded my rear continentals, hahaha!

I'm very pleased to hear that you finally resolved the issue of vibration though, Tammer. Iv'e been dealing with it for too long now, but Iv'e learnt to live with it somehow haha!

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 has finally solved my vibration problems after nearly 3 years !!!!!