LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin PS2 has finally solved my vibration problems after nearly 3 years !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 12:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Turvey, I am fully expecting jgbackes to tell me where I am wrong. Should be a good learning experience.

BTW, you may have to change your name, my iPad keeps wanting to change it to turkey. One of these days I'm going to miss correcting it!
Old 07-28-13, 12:57 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I know tire shops have always told me that Michelins are the best and I would say in my own personal experience that they have been too, but I would like to know objectively why they are the best.
I have asked that question too and a tire expert told me that modern tires use a combination of rubber and synthetics in various proprietary amounts. This guy told me Michelin uses the highest percentage of real rubber than any other brand. I did some research after hearing this (it was a few years ago). Michelin owns farms and land of rubber producing trees all over the world. They are always buying more. Seems logical because they truly are the best and since it cost a pretty penny to own them.
Old 07-28-13, 01:03 PM
Turvey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Turvey, I am fully expecting jgbackes to tell me where I am wrong. Should be a good learning experience.

BTW, you may have to change your name, my iPad keeps wanting to change it to turkey. One of these days I'm going to miss correcting it!
You can call me what you want! this thread rocks!
Old 07-28-13, 01:11 PM
Turvey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ice350
I have asked that question too and a tire expert told me that modern tires use a combination of rubber and synthetics in various proprietary amounts. This guy told me Michelin uses the highest percentage of real rubber than any other brand. I did some research after hearing this (it was a few years ago). Michelin owns farms and land of rubber producing trees all over the world. They are always buying more. Seems logical because they truly are the best and since it cost a pretty penny to own them.
You are correct but like I said in a previous post it is also down to the tread block molding. Imagine the tread block jets pumping in the compound in 8 places? Michelin pump the jets every 40mm. When the rubber comes out of the mold it makes a reaction and moves where it wants to go. With the Jets positioned in smaller positions the rubber can not move far?

Last edited by Turvey; 07-28-13 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-13, 09:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have been told for years that Michelin takes extra step to make sure their tires are as close to round as possible, they take extra quality steps in production , as well as utilizing the latest technology, production methods, and most advanced designs and materials .

I am hooked. Between this current experience and the amazing experience I had with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS plus tires I had on my dropped GS I am a Michelin fan. After looking at the new PS3, I am looking forward to a set of those as well. Apparently it has better wear, quieter ride, and better performance.

No joke. These tires grip so hard I am afraid I am going to blow a shock/strut from all of the insane load from the corners, speed , and weigh transfer . If I blow a suspension part then it may be a great reason to get some coil overs

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-28-13 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-28-13, 09:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350

In the end when you see then run Michelins at Le Mans you know they know how to make a tire. When you see that they were the company to rise to the challenge of designing a street tire for a car like the Veyron you know these people are a cut above.
Old 07-28-13, 10:33 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a paper written by the makers of my contact thermometer.

Fluke Meter News
  • Center hotter than edges -> Tire pressure too high. Reduce 1 psi for each 5° F delta
  • Edges hotter than center -> Tire pressure too low. Add 1 psi for each 5° F delta

They are discussing racing tires, but I have always used this as a guideline when I'm not using OEM tires. If the tires came with the car I assume that the factory did this work for me.

Last edited by jgbackes; 07-28-13 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-29-13, 09:10 AM
Nospinzone

Interesting paper. I wished they explained the reason for adding/reducing psi at the different temps, but I do believe them. Yes there are some major differences in racing tires, but I have to believe that the principles would remain the same in regards to this discussion.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-13, 10:04 AM
Turvey
Driver School Candidate

Here is a Pic of my PS3's notice how the rim protectors come out so much.

imgur

Below is the picture of the thin ribs from tyre mold, notice how close they are!

imgur

Last edited by Turvey; 07-29-13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-29-13, 03:04 PM
Nospinzone

Those "rim protectors" are interesting. I guess they may spare your rims from curb rash.
Old 07-30-13, 02:43 PM
Bondo1968
Driver School Candidate

I have also found Discount Tire to be very helpful ! However, it is hard for me to believe the Lexus Dealer would not have sent you to a tire shop when they did not solve the problem!
Old 08-02-13, 12:54 PM
Turvey
Driver School Candidate

Those "rim protectors" are interesting. I guess they may spare your rims from curb rash.
I took the pictures on my iphone, for some reason the photo's don't show the true fullness of the rim protectors, the rim protectors are actually 9-10mm over the wheel rim (3/8" for US readers) and the photo does not justify the reality of the PS3 rim protectors. I have noticed a slight resonant frequency noise on some road surfaces, but I am 100% confident it is not the PS3's, I curbed the car on a bend, hit the previous front yokohama and then sliced the rear rim protector on the vredestein ultrac, the resonant frequency noise only happens rarely on certain road surfaces, I'm swaying towards that I have started damage in a wheel bearing? but not convinced yet because it sounds like pipe resonance in tyres and could be the rear vredestein wearing down below 6mm (1/4") of which I have heard rumours of noise problems in this brand. Time will tell but the noise sounds like tyres, but my instinct sways towards bearings because bearing noise is unpredictable in early stages of wear/damage.

If you want to read the full story of my vibration problems then visit: Michelin PS3 finally cured my vibration problems

Jgbackes, thanks for the link and info regarding the Fluke equipment, when I next get paid i'm going to buy one, I have found one on Ebay for £80 brand new. This should then give me opimal balance with tyre pressures and reduce tread wear.

Last edited by Turvey; 08-03-13 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-03-13, 07:14 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks like we won't be hearing from Silver305 on the LS460 forum about his tire/wheel vibration problem anymore. He's on the ES350 forum now. It seems he traded his shaky LS460 for a 2010 CPO ES350 that has steering wheel shakes at idle.

JR
Old 08-03-13, 08:10 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet somehow life goes on...
Old 08-04-13, 09:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FLYCT
It looks like we won't be hearing from Silver305 on the LS460 forum about his tire/wheel vibration problem anymore. He's on the ES350 forum now. It seems he traded his shaky LS460 for a 2010 CPO ES350 that has steering wheel shakes at idle.

JR
I was wondering where he went. I hope he is happier. A little vibration in the wheel can usually be fixed with a software flash or manual adjustment of the rpm idle.