LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS 600HL Starting battery - to replace or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 10:43 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
lxurious, could you please help the rest of us who want to follow your route? On the left side of your trunk, you can simply pull the cover out and you will see the battery. Could you check as to what they did with the 3rd wire? Because.. I asked my dealer to install a non lexus/panasonic battery. They said they typically use interstate batteries for Lexus and they installed an interstate battery.. but that caused a warning light in the dash (not sure which one) and they had to swapt it back to the old panasonic - they said that the panasonic tested out fine and that I didn't need a new battery.. I dislike having a 5 year old battery.. Can you please look at what they did with the 3rd wire? How come you don't have the warning lights?
update: I just disconnected the 3rd wire from the panasonic. Started the car and PCS warning light came up. "Check hybrid system" warning came up. I disconnected the batter and reconnected everything and the lights went away. I checked the resistance of the "third wire" harness. It showed 1.94 K ohms resistance. Did they close the circuit of the 3rd wire harness in your car - with a jumper wire, for example? Could you please check? Because if they left the 3rd wire harness circuit open, you would have gotten the warning lights. Thanks!
Yes..I need to know also please. This infamous third wire. I suspect it reports some sort of status back to hybrid system or overall ecu

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 11-23-13, 07:07 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Finally happened to my LS600. My car was going haywire with messages like parking brake not available and check engine light on without car even being on at all!! I tested trunk battery and with neg cable off it read at 8 volts..then with neg cable connected it dropped to 5 volts and hybrid system would not do anything at all. I bought one of these power stations from walmart and charged it to 100% and connected it..it read 6..7..8..9..10..11..12..13v and I hit the Power button and it started my 600 right up!! But I think its time for a new starter battery.. $360 via tradmotion pembroke pines so not bad...thank goodness for power station since car was in garage unjumpable.
Attached Thumbnails 08 LS 600HL Starting battery - to replace or not?-20131123_211702.jpg  
Old 11-23-13, 07:11 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

08 LS 600HL Starting battery - to replace or not?-forumrunner_20131123_221056.png

Old 11-24-13, 05:59 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well my friend, I guess $360 is not so bad.. You got it from your local dealer?
Anyway, its done..
Frankly, this makes me feel better that I also made the right decision, by preempting the annoyance of a dead battery. Now, I am absolutely sure that my theory about changing batteries every 4 years, is correct.. I waited for 5 years, only because its an expensive battery. Typically, if its a normal car, I would have the battery changed in 3 to 4 years.. I had been leasing all my cars and didn't have to change battery in 20 years.. this is the first car I kept for 5+ years (and going to keep longer)... lol..
The 600 is an amazing car.. My other car is a jaguar xjl... its even better looking but the 600 rides today, as if it just came out from the show room and has an amazing ride!

We are both all set for another 5 years.. after which, the car is not worth much anyway.. lol.

I still wish that lxurious would post an answer, to help others. I had even sent him pictures..

Who know, 5 years from now, we might both need a new battery again? lol..
Old 11-24-13, 09:00 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Well my friend, I guess $360 is not so bad.. You got it from your local dealer?
Anyway, its done..
Frankly, this makes me feel better that I also made the right decision, by preempting the annoyance of a dead battery. Now, I am absolutely sure that my theory about changing batteries every 4 years, is correct.. I waited for 5 years, only because its an expensive battery. Typically, if its a normal car, I would have the battery changed in 3 to 4 years.. I had been leasing all my cars and didn't have to change battery in 20 years.. this is the first car I kept for 5+ years (and going to keep longer)... lol..
The 600 is an amazing car.. My other car is a jaguar xjl... its even better looking but the 600 rides today, as if it just came out from the show room and has an amazing ride!

We are both all set for another 5 years.. after which, the car is not worth much anyway.. lol.

I still wish that lxurious would post an answer, to help others. I had even sent him pictures..

Who know, 5 years from now, we might both need a new battery again? lol..
Haven't bought it yet. .waiting to see what local dealer will charge because they will provide warranty. I can install in a few mins but it might be worth dealer doing it. I tested battery this am and its back to 12 volts with no worries for now but I'm keeping my jump box with me just in case it does it again between now and new battery

Old 11-25-13, 10:39 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Just got three quotes ranging from $450 to to $590 installed with 5 year warranty. Full replacement within 2 years and the remaining 3 years are prorated. BUT, I am not convinced my battery needs replacing. I will check at dealer since they will test for free. If it tests good, I'm going to leave it. I know that when I was running accessories for that long without starting the car, it just killed it...but then again, perhaps it should of held a longer charge. The test is what I need for now and I'll buy one if need be...too bad its not covered via CPO
Old 11-25-13, 06:38 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Lexus just load tested my battery and it came back in near perfect condition and they recommend not replacing. I believe them because it is not covered under warranty and the readout confirmed it. So, I will be sure to start the car if I am doing anything with radio or navi next time

Old 11-26-13, 05:21 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Lexus just load tested my battery and it came back in near perfect condition and they recommend not replacing. I believe them because it is not covered under warranty and the readout confirmed it. So, I will be sure to start the car if I am doing anything with radio or navi next time

I would recommend changing it anyway.. considering it needed jump once! One jump is one too much, in my opinion, for a car of this class..
Old 11-26-13, 06:19 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

I would recommend changing it anyway.. considering it needed jump once! One jump is one too much, in my opinion, for a car of this class..
Well, it was my fault to run the battery down in the first place so regardless of the type of car it is...any battery will run down if you do that. If the load test didn't kill the battery and it came back at a 90% score, I'm not going to worry about it. I can spend that $450 elsewhere The fact that it isn't covered under warranty and they still told me not to buy one as greedy as dealerships are, tells me right there I'm good. I hear what you are saying, but if the battery just failed for no reason..that's one thing, but I ran it down with the car off. I'll keep an eye on it with my tester at home too
Old 11-26-13, 08:56 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

cjcity, which state do you live in? If you don't have severe winters you are fine.. but if you do... its absolutely not worth the risk. You should send an email to lxurious with detailed pictures of the 3rd wire - where it goes into the car's electrical system - to help him identify it.

LXurious, you are the only person who has successfully used a die hard.. It would be nice, if you would help others out. I realize you could not find the tech who installed the battery but you could ask the dealer to look at the 3rd wire - or look it up yourself. I have sent you pictures.. I realize you have other wires but it would not be too difficult to find the 3rd wire - it is the wire with some kind of "stub" on it.. This forum relies on people helping others.. I know CJCITY and many others would appreciate your help..
Old 11-26-13, 09:28 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

cjcity, which state do you live in? If you don't have severe winters you are fine.. but if you do... its absolutely not worth the risk. You should send an email to lxurious with detailed pictures of the 3rd wire - where it goes into the car's electrical system - to help him identify it.

LXurious, you are the only person who has successfully used a die hard.. It would be nice, if you would help others out. I realize you could not find the tech who installed the battery but you could ask the dealer to look at the 3rd wire - or look it up yourself. I have sent you pictures.. I realize you have other wires but it would not be too difficult to find the 3rd wire - it is the wire with some kind of "stub" on it.. This forum relies on people helping others.. I know CJCITY and many others would appreciate your help..
CJ City? Haha..I like that version I'm in the south and the car is always garaged. I keep my jump station with me anyway, but I can easily check the voltage whenever to see if its getting weaker but no sign that it has failed other than me running it down.

I'm curious as to know how LXurious did that die hard...they had to of jumped that 3rd temperature sensor wire. Someone else mentioned they got the alert on the dash to check PCS system and then reattached it and it was fine, so that third wire does something for sure
Old 11-26-13, 10:00 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
CJ City? Haha..I like that version I'm in the south and the car is always garaged. I keep my jump station with me anyway, but I can easily check the voltage whenever to see if its getting weaker but no sign that it has failed other than me running it down.

I'm curious as to know how LXurious did that die hard...they had to of jumped that 3rd temperature sensor wire. Someone else mentioned they got the alert on the dash to check PCS system and then reattached it and it was fine, so that third wire does something for sure
lxurios seems to be the only one who seems to have used after market. My dealer tried an interstate battery and he could not get it to work. He had to reinstall the original battery. I disconnected the 3rd wire and warning lights came on. I had to reconnect it. There has got to be a stub/shunt of some kind. Unless you can cut the temperature sensor away - in case the temperature sensor is "wrapped around the battery"? Can you examine the battery closely to see if the temp sensor may be wrapped and can be removed ? it is too cold here in wisconsin for me to look at the battery! lol
Old 11-26-13, 12:55 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

lxurios seems to be the only one who seems to have used after market. My dealer tried an interstate battery and he could not get it to work. He had to reinstall the original battery. I disconnected the 3rd wire and warning lights came on. I had to reconnect it. There has got to be a stub/shunt of some kind. Unless you can cut the temperature sensor away - in case the temperature sensor is "wrapped around the battery"? Can you examine the battery closely to see if the temp sensor may be wrapped and can be removed ? it is too cold here in wisconsin for me to look at the battery! lol
I ain't bootleggin my battery...when it needs replacement, I'm getting the 28800-38150 part number like I am supposed to..especially with the car being CPO through 2017. Don't need some battery that wasnot made for the car with a bootleg jumper wire to defeat an electronic control that is supposed to be connected to it...just sayin. Until he posts pics of his battery setup and the wire, this convo will just continue
Old 11-27-13, 02:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

Just called a few dealers in my area and got quotes from $580-$650 for the battery. I would love to pay what you guys are paying. I don't need it yet but I was just checking.
Old 11-27-13, 03:03 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

Just called another dealer and was quoted $225 for a new battery. I didn't believe them so I confirmed this was for the 600hL. I don't get it, maybe this dealer doesn't know the 600 battery is different and has the extra wire?

Quick Reply: 08 LS 600HL Starting battery - to replace or not?