LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 11:29 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
I did seat design at Toyota. All these parts in the attached sketches from the link in the previous reply bring back a lot of memories. But I never had seat cooling in the seats I designed. Just heating.

I'm going to check my filter, I don't think my seat cools as well as it should.

Originally Posted by nospinzone
I may not have money up the wazoo, but I want cool air up there!
Best quote on CL yet. And I'm in agreement 100%!

Last edited by 7milesout; 05-13-15 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 01:17 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I used the seat cooling feature for the first time about a week ago.
As I've never had a car with this feature, im not exactly sure what I should be feeling or rather just how it supposed to work in its most effective state.
What I did feel was like a cool sensation on the under portion of my thighs and coolness on my lower back. But to be honest, im not sure if this feature was used on a really hot day, I would get much benefit out of this feature.
I'm almost positive the 460 has this feature, because when I was shopping for an LS and looking at the myriad of MyLexus maintenance histories, I came across two different vehicles where the customer had complained about the functionality of their cooled seats, and the tech noted that they "Cleaned seat filters"
I guess the only thing I can do is pull mine out and take a look at it. Clean it out or replace it if need be, then try the feature out again.
Has anyone cleaned theirs out/replaced it and found the cooling element to perform better?
Old 05-13-15, 02:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

I use mine all the time in the Summer. I have a dark blue uniform and when I'm off duty and I get into my car and feel that nice cool air.....it makes the commute so much nicer. Even better if I use my remote start and get the seats cooled before I get in.
Old 05-14-15, 12:47 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I never use the heated or cooled seats. My wife loves the heated seats in winter.
Old 05-14-15, 04:20 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Default The butt speaks for itself...

So I was chit-chatting with my butt earlier today, and it said something that got me thinking. My butt said, "as you know, I deal with some very low quality and sometimes even dangerous air, so it's not the quality of the air that I find important, it's the quantity."

I didn't think much of that statement at the time, but I just had a thought. What if I remove the filter and just leave it off? My butt doesn't care about the quality (filtered), it cares about quantity. Maybe without the filter it would be less restrictive and blow more quantity. That would make my butt happy!

Plus, I get the feeling that the filter may tend to filter my flatulence aroma. No man wants that ... we prefer to SHARE! I'm going to take it off and see if I get more flow.

To be honest, I have yet to let one slip in the LS. The car still smells new. I don't want to ruin a good thing.

7milesout
Old 05-14-15, 04:21 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Has anyone found this filter? Can they point out where it is, maybe a photo of it?
Old 05-14-15, 04:44 PM
7milesout
Advanced

I just did. I took pics but it will be tomorrow before I can post them because I need to compress them. But I will describe. It is fairly centered under the seat. It's about the size of a cup (where you'd put your mouth) in diameter. It has shaggy white foam sticking out the bottom, and a black plastic ring ... which is what is about the size of a cup in diameter.

I had to sit on the garage floor, move the seat mostly forward and as high as I could get it. If you shine a light you can see the shaggy white foam barely. Put your hand in there and twist the whole thing by the plastic and it comes off. Mine looked very clean ... not flatulence laden at all. I doubt it will flow more air but I will check it tomorrow.

7milesout
The following users liked this post:
NYCProdigy (07-09-20)
Old 05-14-15, 06:33 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Perfect. Thank you kind sir.
Old 05-14-15, 06:53 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There isn't one in the LS600h right? I can find the fan in the parts diagrams but no filter. Haven't looked under the seat yet (my son is driving the car this week - his g/f is up to visit) but I'll look this weekend. Just wondering if there's a point. I have the heated & cooled rear seats but not sure based on the parts diagrams if they're filtered like the 460.
Old 05-14-15, 06:55 PM
trbolvr
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Tinkering on 07 LS460 we picked up yesterday and found rubber air tube to drivers seat bottom pulled off of the plastic elbow that feeds the cooling "element". I had to unbolt seat and tilt it up to get some room to work so I snapped a pic of the filter that is attached to the fan. It had a small piece of cloth tape that I peeled off before it could be turned and removed. (1/8 turn). Vacuumed it off and reinstalled .
Attached Thumbnails DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?-filter-1-.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by trbolvr:
glerobi (10-16-18), NYCProdigy (07-09-20), scutch (12-27-19)
Old 05-14-15, 07:14 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by trbolvr
Tinkering on 07 LS460 we picked up yesterday and found rubber air tube to drivers seat bottom pulled off of the plastic elbow that feeds the cooling "element". I had to unbolt seat and tilt it up to get some room to work so I snapped a pic of the filter that is attached to the fan. It had a small piece of cloth tape that I peeled off before it could be turned and removed. (1/8 turn). Vacuumed it off and reinstalled .
Very helpful picture, thank you!

Originally Posted by 7milesout

To be honest, I have yet to let one slip in the LS. The car still smells new. I don't want to ruin a good thing.

7milesout
Old 05-14-15, 11:09 PM
CaseyA98
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced filters!!!!

DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?-image.jpg
If I did this correctly you were able to see the dirty filter and the new filter, they arrived today and it literally took me five minutes to replace both filters on each side of the seats. I removed my weathertech mats pushed the seats forward. When my hand was underneaththebseat you can feel the small filter piece, give it a light twist and they came off. Then, I twisted the new filter on pushed my seats back into the normal position and put back my weathertech mats. I will see tomorrow if it makes a difference either way the filters are clean and new I also noticed to get more air to the driver seat last summer I decided to unhook the rear carpet on the back of the front seats and it directed the air when it was on the floor up to the seats fan and my back and bum stayed a lot cooler :-) it seemed to work and or was super easy to do. GOOD LUCK GANG!!!!
glerobi (10-16-18)
Old 05-15-15, 05:45 AM
7milesout
Advanced

You suckers beat me to it! But I'm going to post my pictures anyway.

Also, it really did seem to cool better without the filter. I did feel more air. However, the car was cool from being in the garage, and it being morning. When I drive out to lunch today I will reconfirm. I may wind up going filterless. My butt did prefer this morning's air flow performance.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?-seat_filter1.jpg   DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?-seat_filter2.jpg   DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?-seat_filter3.jpg  
glerobi (10-16-18)
Old 05-15-15, 06:32 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Mine looked very clean ... not flatulence laden at all. I doubt it will flow more air but I will check it tomorrow.

7milesout
You sir are a liar. I see definitive proof in those photos of severe, excessive flatulence.
Old 05-15-15, 07:03 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Well ... not as bad as Casey's. And, it's not my flatulence. It's the previous owner's.

Quick Reply: DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?