LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Odd problem from rear of car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 06:36 AM
Mfnheff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd problem from rear of car.

Shortly after we got our 08 ls460 my gf asked if I had felt a weird brake issue. She said it was like the car would "jerk" or "bump". The way she described it was more like how a car with an auto tranny will "creep" if you aren't holding the brake pedal down firmly. Yesterday I was driving the car, with her in it. Stop at a light. All is well. Brake off, gas on to leave...holy crap it felt like someone hit us on the left rear of the car. I actually stopped and looked behind us to see what the hell happened. She says "that's the feeling I was telling you about". When we got the car I had it on a lift and noticed the left rear sway bar link was broken, but there was no damage to indicate a reason. I can't find anything else on this problem anywhere and can't tell if it's brake related or trans related. Our local lexus dealer is going to check it out on wed at 9am. Anyone else heard of or dealt with anything like this? Calipers were in great shape when I did the brakes with no hanging or signs of trouble. Everything works like it should 99% of the time. But damn if that 1% won't scare you. Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-13, 04:13 PM
jmcraney

Received 272 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfnheff
Shortly after we got our 08 ls460 my gf asked if I had felt a weird brake issue. She said it was like the car would "jerk" or "bump". The way she described it was more like how a car with an auto tranny will "creep" if you aren't holding the brake pedal down firmly. Yesterday I was driving the car, with her in it. Stop at a light. All is well. Brake off, gas on to leave...holy crap it felt like someone hit us on the left rear of the car. I actually stopped and looked behind us to see what the hell happened. She says "that's the feeling I was telling you about". When we got the car I had it on a lift and noticed the left rear sway bar link was broken, but there was no damage to indicate a reason. I can't find anything else on this problem anywhere and can't tell if it's brake related or trans related. Our local lexus dealer is going to check it out on wed at 9am. Anyone else heard of or dealt with anything like this? Calipers were in great shape when I did the brakes with no hanging or signs of trouble. Everything works like it should 99% of the time. But damn if that 1% won't scare you. Thanks in advance
Please report this "event" to the NHTSA at: http://safercar.gov

It's easy to do and your report may save someone's life.

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-09-13 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 05:16 PM
Mfnheff
Driver School Candidate

Duly noted.
As a side note this problem happened again today. Being stopped for a short period of time(no longer than a traffic light cycle) seems to trigger whatever is causing the problem. I read a couple posts of problems with the "hold" feature activating after being stopped and then no releasing, but no lights come on and there are no issues past the initial problem. And my gf uses the hold feature from time to time and never has the problem. It almost feels like the parking brake is activating then forcefully releasing. I hope the techs at lexus can figure this out but I'm not holding my breath since it will be tricky to duplicate. And seems to be if it can't be duplicated when they're in the car the problem doesn't exist. We'll see
Old 09-09-13, 06:18 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your parking brake set to manual or auto engage? But to think about it it wouldn't be an issue unless you put it in park would the parking brake engage manually. I wonder if your parking brake is malfunctioning.

Last edited by is150; 09-09-13 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 06:36 PM
Mfnheff
Driver School Candidate

Is150, that's what I'm thinking. Since the parking brake is electrically operated I could see an issue happening. The only other thing I could think of would be a transmission issue but I think that would be more of a stretch.
Old 09-11-13, 02:04 PM
Mfnheff
Driver School Candidate

Trip to dealer went about as expected...no problems. Car is 100% mechanically sounds. Oh well. Ill keep looking into this
Old 09-11-13, 03:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thats odd. I dont think a sway bar issue would do that
Old 09-12-13, 12:02 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a lexus ls 2007. it had a manufacturing defect - that the brake hold would not release on rare occasions. I went to the dealer many times but they found no problem.
Once I got rear ended - because the guy behind me saw traffic light turn green, he saw me trying to move but the car just didn't move. I saw him coming and tried to hit the gas in panic but the car refused to budge. He rear ended me. I yelled at the lexus dealer and only after that, they found the problem.. a "hidden" service bulletin is what they found... it was not easy to find.
Old 09-12-13, 01:01 PM
kingnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
I had a lexus ls 2007. it had a manufacturing defect - that the brake hold would not release on rare occasions. I went to the dealer many times but they found no problem.
Once I got rear ended - because the guy behind me saw traffic light turn green, he saw me trying to move but the car just didn't move. I saw him coming and tried to hit the gas in panic but the car refused to budge. He rear ended me. I yelled at the lexus dealer and only after that, they found the problem.. a "hidden" service bulletin is what they found... it was not easy to find.
link to TSB?
Old 09-12-13, 02:47 PM
Mfnheff
Driver School Candidate

I would also like to see/link the tsb. The dealer we went to of course asked who did the brakes (me) then said they might not be installed correctly (not to sound like a ****, but not a chance), tried to sell my gf front(!) lower control arms with the caveat those might not fix the problem (no ****). Then, on the write up, said we were there for front end noise. Hello mcfly, anyone listening? Frustrating part is I know there is something wrong, I can't find it. I don't trust any of the local shops, and it seems that the lexus techs are duds. I even googled the problem on other cars with similar hold systems and came up empty handed. Only thing I can think to do is go through the parking brake assembly and make sure there isn't anything suspicious looking there, then adjust the shoes a little looser than they are now. But a link to that tsb would be awesome.
Old 09-12-13, 03:25 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenan...30328&type=tsb
second from the last tsb
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...Results.action here is is from nhtsa website.
Not sure if the nhtsa link is working but just go to nhtsa website and click on the tab for recalls. Enter the vehicle information. All recalls will pop up as well as a tab for all the service bulletins

Last edited by is150; 09-12-13 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 05:34 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kingnut
link to TSB?
I don't have any idea about the tsb itself. It happened in 2008/09 and I don't have that car anymore.