LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A Couple of Repair Questions...08 LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 03:39 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
Got you, is there a way to visually/mechanically validate this issue before going to the dealer?
Other than the typical noise associated with the worn bushings, some techs were able to tell right away when the car is on the lift b/c the rubber housing for the bushings are visibly torn. Not all bushings had visible tearing though but the control arms still had to be replaced.
Old 11-18-13, 10:47 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So I went to the dealership and they put it on the lift. The bushings have little tears in them, but nothing major. They said they replace the bushings as soon as they see this due to safety concerns.

They offered to replace them at a discounted rate. $2,100.

With that being said is there a way of me purchasing a warranty from this dealer in Texas and then having it covered? What is the protocol when you purchase these warranties over the phone?
Old 11-18-13, 11:07 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Does anyone know the part number associated with these control arms? I can't find them at all. =[

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S460-2008.html
Old 11-19-13, 10:19 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by USCRugby
So I went to the dealership and they put it on the lift. The bushings have little tears in them, but nothing major. They said they replace the bushings as soon as they see this due to safety concerns.

With that being said is there a way of me purchasing a warranty from this dealer in Texas and then having it covered? What is the protocol when you purchase these warranties over the phone?
Warranty might cost over $2,100.00 if you can get it.
Old 11-19-13, 11:59 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know the part number associated with these control arms? I can't find them at all. =[

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S460-2008.html
You should call them and give them your VIN# to be sure you identify the correct part #'s
Old 11-20-13, 08:59 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

I did a search and was a lot of info. I'm not a mechanic. What are bushings? I looked on ebay and they were only 200 dollars. When I read threads it says something about brushings?

I'm confused
They are "Bushings", like rubber padding pressed into the control arms. Lexus won't just sell you the bushings, they sell you the entire control arms with the bushings already pressed in. I have a 2009 and they were all cracked, to the tune of $5,000, and at 38,000 miles.
Old 11-20-13, 09:04 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

So I was driving on the highway for about 45 mins and the Tire Pressure System Warning light comes on for 5 mins and then turns off. I then check the tire pressure on all the tires using the console and they are all good to go. I also have Costco put air in my tire at the beginning of every month. Do I need to do anything regarding this?

I have problems with my lights turning off. After reading many threads regarding this topic, I should assume it's a bad door sensor? How much are these? I like to order my parts and then have Lexus fix them.

I started to experience terrible wind noise by the drivers side window last week. I looked into this further and noticed when the windows closed, the small rubber barrier that goes outside the glass gets pinched and wind gets inside the window. It happens at the last second the windows pushes against the entire frame. I have to hold the rubber back and have someone else close the window slowly to reduce this noise. As soon as I roll down the windows and back up, it's going to be bad again. Should Lexus cover this?

I have an 08 LS 460 with 55k miles on it.
Sorry, but I could not find your question about getting a warranty. If your car's "Factory Warranty" has expired, you CANNOT get a Genuine Lexus Extended Warranty. However, there are after-market warranties you might explore and find a reputable one. Good luck. Luckily I got my Lexus Warranty before the factory one ran out.
Old 11-20-13, 09:08 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

I found your link. If your Lexus Factory Warranty has expired, you CANNOT get a Genuine Lexus Extended Warranty. Lexus paid MY SHOP $5,000 to replace all mine. If they will replace ALL THE CONTROL ARMS AND BUSHINGS for $2,100, and you are going to keep the car quite a while, I'd do it. Otherwise, I would not drive a LS-460 around the block without a warranty on them. Too much to go wrong. And when it does, it's EXPENSIVE.
Old 11-21-13, 07:13 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Well the car is driving fine and you hear no noise when driving / turning. The other mechanic I saw, said they were in good condition and that a little cracking ins't something to fix.
Old 11-22-13, 11:58 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Well the car is driving fine and you hear no noise when driving / turning. The other mechanic I saw, said they were in good condition and that a little cracking ins't something to fix.
I was having NO issues with my LS-460 either. I just wanted my mechanic to take a look at the brakes and see how much pad I had left. I had about 38,000 miles on it. I'm pretty hard on brakes and that's a pretty heavy car. He got it on the lift and told me brakes were the least of my worries, ALL the control arm bushings were cracked, and EXPENSIVE. I called Lexus, they sent an Adjuster out to a NON-Dealership shop, and told them to "Replace them ALL." Lexus shelled out $5,000 to MY SHOP, not THEIR DEALERSHIP, so to do nothing, it's only going to get worse. The rubbber bushings will continue to deteriorate, crack and pay now, or pay later. If you are going to trade soon, I'd let it slide and put the $2,100 toward the newer one. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 01-01-14, 09:17 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Again, thanks a lot to everyone on this forum! Dealer replaced control arms along with the water pump (see thread).

Originally Posted by is150
That's exactly what I told my dealership. They had to keep my car till the next morning for a rep to come in and verify there was to much movement in the bushings. Once verified they replaced the control arms per the service bulletin.