LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlight Condensation - unique issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 05:12 PM
tonnyj77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Condensation - unique issue

Not to beat a dead horse but I am going to explain my situation. It's a little different than what has been posted in the past. Please hear me out. I'll try to be brief.

- 2007 LS 460
- Passenger side low beam light

Leaving work, start car, turn lights on, lights both work. Lights stay on on my 30 minute drive home. 5 minutes or 30 minutes later: Getting ready to go to store. Passenger side does not come on. Leave store, lights don't come on. I go home, garage car, and next morning lights work again all the way to work. It doesnt matter where I go - 5 minute drive or 1 hour drive but lights will not come on the second time the car is started.

Seems passenger light does not come on every time the car is "warmed up". It's weird.

I also have condensation in headlight. Now, I have an old 2001 GS 430 where the lens is broke. The car is pretty beat down so I just used clear tape to cover…yeah. Shoot me for doing that to a lexus. In any case, light works - been like that for 8 months. So I don't think the condensation is screwing with my LS lights but you never know - Both Lexus mechanics say it does not affect electrical either - I have two by my house.

Now, I tried to turn off lights, turn back on/auto, turn car off and back on/auto, etc. but no flicker or it does not come on for a second or 2 and go off like others posted.

Hoping it's just a bulb. Ordered 2 Toshiba DS4 from HIDconcept.com. Hopefully they are not fake - never bought from them - anyone purchase from them before?
When I get these, I will see if it's the bulb and if it is, I will change both out. However, just wanted to throw this out and see if anyone has had the same issue and know what the cause is.
Old 11-11-13, 07:22 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe someone changed the bulbs before but didn't tighten the cap back properly.
Old 11-12-13, 06:03 AM
tonnyj77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SBlexus
Maybe someone changed the bulbs before but didn't tighten the cap back properly.
That crossed my mind too. I guess I'll have to dig into to see.
Old 11-12-13, 06:40 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

i found a leak on my old car by spraying soap/water solution on the housing and then sprayed some air in the bulb opening and found the bubbles. Sealed the leak with some clear silicone, problem solved. I think you should try a new pair of bulbs AFTER you find the leak and seal it. For some reason, usually the headlight bulb closest to battery always fails first in all cars I have ever owned. I suspect it has to do with surge if lights are on when starting car. on my 460, i never started the car with headlights on or with control in AUTO if dark or in garage. Lexus failed in putting a delay on the circuit to not turn lights on AFTER car has started. If you notice when starting the car with lights on, they flicker as power surges through which kills bulbs and eventually ballasts IMO
Old 11-12-13, 09:36 AM
tonnyj77
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice CJITTY. I will do that.

FYI - I started car today and turned the lights on and only one (driver side) works now! It is definitely out. Supposed to have the bulbs in by tomorrow or Wednesday.
Old 11-12-13, 09:37 AM
tonnyj77
Driver School Candidate

I will keep everyone posted of my findings!
Old 11-15-13, 11:52 AM
tonnyj77
Driver School Candidate

Default Solved!

So I made a "stink" with the Lexus dealership where I bought my car. FYI - light went out/didn't work when I got home 5 hours later from the dealership.
Either thought it was an "as-is" sale, they came to a conclusion to fix my light. The plan was to install a new head assembly (for condensation) and a new bulb. Come to find out, it was the igniter/ballast! So, they gave me a new headlight assembly and had to order the igniter. It should all be done by tomorrow. Now I have two extra bulbs for when the bulbs go out.

Another note: I asked when they change the bulb if they were going to do both and they indicated no. They said this does not need to be done on HID's. If it was halogen; yes unless you don't want to spend the $$$ for the second one. And yes, the color will have different brightness on halogen. When it's HID, it shouldn't matter on our cars - change one, change both - whatever.
Just relaying the message. I've been hearing on here where you should change both. Maybe it matters if they are different manufacturer's/brightness?
Old 11-15-13, 09:21 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tonnyj77
So I made a "stink" with the Lexus dealership where I bought my car. FYI - light went out/didn't work when I got home 5 hours later from the dealership.
Either thought it was an "as-is" sale, they came to a conclusion to fix my light. The plan was to install a new head assembly (for condensation) and a new bulb. Come to find out, it was the igniter/ballast! So, they gave me a new headlight assembly and had to order the igniter. It should all be done by tomorrow. Now I have two extra bulbs for when the bulbs go out.

Another note: I asked when they change the bulb if they were going to do both and they indicated no. They said this does not need to be done on HID's. If it was halogen; yes unless you don't want to spend the $$$ for the second one. And yes, the color will have different brightness on halogen. When it's HID, it shouldn't matter on our cars - change one, change both - whatever.
Just relaying the message. I've been hearing on here where you should change both. Maybe it matters if they are different manufacturer's/brightness?
They are dead wrong on the hid in pairs..they are blowing smoke. Hid bulbs color shift after so many hours and will appear different in color and intensity. .they are full of ****

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 11-18-13, 06:32 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

You should always change HID's in pairs for reasons mention earlier, your service advisor is wrong.