LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DVD Formats

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 11:20 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Regarding DVD-A 5.1 using Cirlinca
My 2009 LS would read 5.1, but it converted it to stereo. My 2012 actually plays the same disc as 5.1.
(I used the Gimell surround test file)

I'm not sure it matters, I don't think the music sounds any better in surround.

Last edited by joeyb; 01-28-14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-28-14, 11:02 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
This is the disc. I bought it on Amazon in 2012. However I don't see it up for sale anymore by Amazon.

Amazon.com: Sonic Boom: Music

I need to find the disc to check whether the files are in AUDIO_TS directory. It's been a while since I have played it. I originally bought it to prove to Lexus that the 2012 LS with the ML system was attenuating the bass when you turned up the volume. I did prove it to them, but they refused to do anything about it.

I have used Cirlinca HD Audio Solo to build a blu ray disc with 5.1 sound and that works on a blu ray player. I have not tried DVD Audio. Now you have me curious so I will download a 5.1 test track, burn it using HD Audio solo, and test it in my car.

Another thing: the post that you mention appears to be for the ML system in the GS. I believe those systems are the Premium Systems. The LS has a Reference system. Maybe it can play 5.1 DVD Audio.
I received the DVD today, tested it and: Playback is stereo on a 2008 Lexus LS600hL. Sonic Boom DVD-A displays 5.1 channels but the ML system outputs 2 channels only.
Old 02-12-14, 03:51 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

As far as I can tell the 2012 LS does play 5.1. I have a few other DVD Audio 5.1 discs and I can hear the different channels (except the subwoofer) distinctly.
Old 02-21-14, 09:14 PM
djpauly28
Driver School Candidate

Just a heads up. I bought a 2014 IS 350 F Sport with Mark Levison Audio. I tried a variety of discs and audio/video files in different formats. If you disable Auto Play and turn the Mark Levison Surround setting OFF, the DVD player WILL play the 5.1 Dolby Digital surround program on most commercially purchased DVD-Audio discs. It will not play the high res DVD-Audio files or any SACD or DTS encoded surround discs. You need to load most discs with the parking brake engaged to see the audio options and start disc playback. When you release the parking brake, the audio will continue to play, and you can navigate through the tracks with the regular CD/DVD controls. Here's a list of what I tried and results, for your reference:

Commercial Discs:
CD: YES
SACD: NO
DualDisc DVD side with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround: YES
DVD with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround: YES
DVD with 24/96 PCM Audio: YES
DVD with DTS Surround Audio: NO (even though it appears to play, nothing plays thru speakers)
CD with DTS Surround Audio: NO

Burned DVD:
DVD with DVD Audio files only: NO
DVD-ROM with FLAC files: NO
DVD-ROM with WAV files: NO
DVD-ROM with iTunes M4A Audio files: YES
DVD-ROM with Mp3s: YES
DVD-ROM with Mp4 Video files: NO
DVD-ROM with MOV Video files: NO
Old 02-24-14, 12:08 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djpauly28
Just a heads up. I bought a 2014 IS 350 F Sport with Mark Levison Audio. I tried a variety of discs and audio/video files in different formats. If you disable Auto Play and turn the Mark Levison Surround setting OFF, the DVD player WILL play the 5.1 Dolby Digital surround program on most commercially purchased DVD-Audio discs. It will not play the high res DVD-Audio files or any SACD or DTS encoded surround discs. You need to load most discs with the parking brake engaged to see the audio options and start disc playback. When you release the parking brake, the audio will continue to play, and you can navigate through the tracks with the regular CD/DVD controls. Here's a list of what I tried and results, for your reference:

Commercial Discs:
CD: YES
SACD: NO
DualDisc DVD side with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround: YES
DVD with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround: YES
DVD with 24/96 PCM Audio: YES
DVD with DTS Surround Audio: NO (even though it appears to play, nothing plays thru speakers)

Burned DVD:
DVD with DVD Audio files only: NO
DVD-ROM with FLAC files: NO
DVD-ROM with WAV files: NO
DVD-ROM with iTunes M4A Audio files: YES
DVD-ROM with Mp3s: YES
DVD-ROM with Mp4 Video files: NO
DVD-ROM with MOV Video files: NO
Thanks for such a complete list! Seems that the Lexus models and years are diffent in supporting files and resolutions. I have no issues with burned DVD-A in 96khz but it is limited to stereo. I'm not saying this is bad, especially as there are really not a lot of songs with more as two channels. Classic music in 5.1 is amazing as it sounds like a live orchestra.