LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 11:34 AM
ZhiuPei
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody experience squeaking after replacing upper control arm bushings?

Just did with the camber adjustable and now everytime i turn the wheel driving slow they squeak like no tomorrow..

Any help.. really appreciated

thanks
Old 12-11-17, 05:12 PM
scotymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced front upper & lower control arms for my 2008 LS last April, however I did not change out the two lower ball joints which seemed to be fine.
It has been seven months and am hearing a rapping sound when going over slight road bumps at less than 45MPH.
Could this indicate the ball joints are shot, or should I be focusing on the front struts/shocks?
Old 12-14-17, 09:26 AM
ZhiuPei
Lead Lap

Anybody got inputs?
Old 12-14-17, 10:26 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 224 Likes on 139 Posts

It seems that it depends on the type of bushing materials in the CA's. I remember reading some postings on the forum that the poly type bushings made some noise, which replaced the OE bushings.
Old 12-14-17, 05:21 PM
ZhiuPei
Lead Lap

i read something similar, but i dont remember if that person mentioned to use a silicone based grease or something like that??
Old 12-17-17, 07:17 AM
Savoykl
Driver School Candidate

Default Control Arms may be replaced on extended warranty

I’m a new member and I’d like to contribute to this thread. I recently purchase a 2010 LS460L AWD with 75,000 miles. I took it to Lexus due to a high pitched low volume squeak while turning the steering wheel. They said it was the right front air strut that was causing it and that it would cost $1600 to replace. My exteneded warranty would not cover it because they said it was a shock not a strut (strut vs shock is a topic for another thread).

I decided to take it to an independent shop to get their opinion and they said the squeak was coming from dried out front control arm bushings. This sounds more likely to me. They said the CAs need to be replaced at a cost of $2500. However, the extended warranty will cover this problem but they are sending out an independent mechanic within one to two business days to verify that they are bad. I'm now inpatiently and anxiously waiting to see what they'll say. I'm afraid they will deny the claim because they were bad before I bought the warranty. If that happens, I'll be needing to find some aftermarket CAs that fit my AWD car. Does anyone know if they are different than the RWD cars?

Last edited by Savoykl; 12-17-17 at 07:48 AM. Reason: To submit an actual post
Old 12-17-17, 09:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Savoykl
I’m a new member and I’d like to contribute to this thread. I recently purchase a 2010 LS460L AWD with 75,000 miles. I took it to Lexus due to a high pitched low volume squeak while turning the steering wheel. They said it was the right front air strut that was causing it and that it would cost $1600 to replace. My exteneded warranty would not cover it because they said it was a shock not a strut (strut vs shock is a topic for another thread).

I decided to take it to an independent shop to get their opinion and they said the squeak was coming from dried out front control arm bushings. This sounds more likely to me. They said the CAs need to be replaced at a cost of $2500. However, the extended warranty will cover this problem but they are sending out an independent mechanic within one to two business days to verify that they are bad. I'm now inpatiently and anxiously waiting to see what they'll say. I'm afraid they will deny the claim because they were bad before I bought the warranty. If that happens, I'll be needing to find some aftermarket CAs that fit my AWD car. Does anyone know if they are different than the RWD cars?
Unfortunately the control arms for the AWD are different from the RWD and there are really no inexpensive aftermarket ones for the AWD now so it will end up costing a lot more then if you had RWD which has low priced after market control arms, it is one of the reasons some people avoid the AWD LS460.
Old 12-17-17, 11:30 AM
Savoykl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
Unfortunately the control arms for the AWD are different from the RWD and there are really no inexpensive aftermarket ones for the AWD now so it will end up costing a lot more then if you had RWD which has low priced after market control arms, it is one of the reasons some people avoid the AWD LS460.
Thanks for the information. I sure hope they do cover the replacement then.
Old 12-17-17, 05:53 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Shoot them with some WD40 and see if the noise goes away. If it gets quiet and they are not broken out just drive it another couple years.
Old 12-18-17, 04:54 PM
Savoykl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Shoot them with some WD40 and see if the noise goes away. If it gets quiet and they are not broken out just drive it another couple years.
Good idea if they don't cover it. But probably some silicone instead.
Old 12-18-17, 06:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Savoykl
Good idea if they don't cover it. But probably some silicone instead.
His point is that spraying with ANYTHING (even Pam cooking spray), is a good trick for narrowing down the cause of squeaks, etc. It's not long term.
Old 11-06-18, 07:08 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

anyone else been doing the bushing swap?

Im in talks with febest now to order some front lower rearward bushings my car needs

Can order some Chinese specials for peanuts on ebay, but don't want to risk that

I was going to go with Armstrong with the poly bushings but worried the ride may be a little harsh, don't want to risk it either

is there any other brands you guys have been using ?
Old 11-07-18, 11:03 AM
anthony1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife couldn’t tell the difference....
It corners better I can live with the noise. Just sprayed some wd40 dry lube and it’s good for a while.
I use the Armstrong control arm bushings and sway bar bushings.

Last edited by anthony1; 11-07-18 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Add more
Old 11-07-18, 08:52 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

The ball joints on mine were shot but the bushings were still in decent shape so check them before just purchasing the bushings.
Old 11-07-18, 10:38 PM
anthony1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought Mevotech control arms with came with new ball joints and swap the rubber bushings with Armstrongs ones. makes the front end much better. Add KYB shocks and it's a great ride.

Quick Reply: 07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement