LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-19, 08:09 AM
Rattfinkk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 ls 460 controll arms

I dont understand why not just replace the whole arms..Any suggestions? why just the bushings?
Attached Files
File Type: docx
ls460.docx (13.4 KB, 221 views)
Old 08-09-19, 09:16 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Rattfinkk
I dont understand why not just replace the whole arms..Any suggestions? why just the bushings?

money. also beter to keep all stock so if can get away with just bushings its better for re-sale
Old 10-05-19, 06:22 PM
amk3rd
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eastside21
Take note of this website: https://www.febest.us

The upper control arms are the least expensive I have found and they make all the bushings for the arms. This includes the rear arms too! I am doing the eight control arm install myself this weekend. The parts appear to be of high quality. They did not have the lower control arms. Those arms were sourced through Rock Auto. For the lower arms I went with Beck Arnley, manufactured in Taiwan!
Eastside21, how are the parts holing up 2yrs into the repair/ upgrade? Ive got to do the job, trying to figure out poly or rubber.
thanks. AMK3RD FTW
Old 02-18-20, 08:31 AM
eastside21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amk3rd
Eastside21, how are the parts holing up 2yrs into the repair/ upgrade? Ive got to do the job, trying to figure out poly or rubber.
thanks. AMK3RD FTW
I've had no issue with any of the replacement parts for the front end. Quality parts from Rock Auto and Febus US
Old 06-09-20, 06:31 PM
LexusHOG
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robert1408
Hey, Vvman! Did your mechanic tighten all those control arms in their frame mounts with the car at its normal ride height? The lower bushings look like the bolt sleeve through the middle can't rotate in the mount after tightening the nut on the long bolt that holds it. I can't tell if the upper bushings are that way but poly bushings are usually free to rotate.

I looked under my '07 LS after seeing your excellent pics. All the lower mounts are easy to get to the mounting bolts.

Nearly all modern control arms are not free to rotate in their mounts. Their movement twists the rubber. They will last lots longer if they are not under a twisting load at normal ride height. Such bushings should be tightened with the suspension at normal ride height. I hope your guy did that. If not it would be easy to loosen them, bounce the car a few times and re-tighten. Those poly uppers should be fine.

I hate to be a wet towel here but I saw so many replacement bushings/control arms prematurely fail from missing this important little detail. I almost don't want to post this...
Hi Robert,
I like the idea to loosen the bolt from bushing and re-tighten. This is the problem I have when I put the upper control arm while front wheel off. I had tighten before put back the wheel so I am not sure if they are under a twisting.

When you say bounce the car a few time before re-tighten, does this apply to Air Suspension?

Thanks
Old 03-01-21, 01:29 AM
jcromero
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anthony1
Btw, check out the prices at rockauto.com very reasonable. that's where I got my parts to press in the polyurethane bushings.
How is this holding up?? I am about to tackle this issue and was thinking about ordering all 8 from Mevotech and adding the bushings from figs engineering. Any issues since the install? Thank you for the help.
Old 03-01-21, 01:35 AM
anthony1
Rookie

It's still holding up fine. It creaks a little just have to lube it with lubicating sprayer. I like it.
Old 03-01-21, 01:37 AM
jcromero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdanielca
if my ball joints are good, I guess I will do this: for the front uppers I shall use FIGS bushings, the lower ones I shall use PSB, I do not ike the design of the upper ones from PSB and anything else not covered by those 2, I shall use febest, including maybe the rears. BUT with the febest bushings I am going to reinforce them with 3M window weld or maybe Liquid Nails polyurethane.. not decided yet.
I am about to tackle this myself, my idea was to use all 8 Mevotech arms and add the figs bushings the way they sell their kit about 580 for all 8 pieces 100 for upper bushings from figs plus whatever the two lower super bushings cost. Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 03-01-21, 01:46 AM
anthony1
Rookie

Go for it. You won't have to replace those bushings again. it corners a little better than stock. My wife couldn't tell the difference...
The following users liked this post:
jcromero (03-09-21)
Old 03-01-21, 04:08 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

jcromero. IMO, you are on the right track using the FIGS (SuperPro) bushings in the upper arms regardless of what brand of upper arm you ultimately go with. You also may want to consider using the updated OEM arms for the lower #2 arms as they appear to be much more robust than any of the aftermarket arms I have seen (I have not seen an aftermarket design that is similar to the updated OEM design) In addition to connecting to the knuckle, the lower arm #2 also supports the struts and tie in with the sway bar links and seem to be the most critical and the most prone to failure. You can get both of these arms from amayama for about $427 including shipping.
The following users liked this post:
jcromero (03-09-21)
Old 03-09-21, 03:31 AM
jcromero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZGS4
jcromero. IMO, you are on the right track using the FIGS (SuperPro) bushings in the upper arms regardless of what brand of upper arm you ultimately go with. You also may want to consider using the updated OEM arms for the lower #2 arms as they appear to be much more robust than any of the aftermarket arms I have seen (I have not seen an aftermarket design that is similar to the updated OEM design) In addition to connecting to the knuckle, the lower arm #2 also supports the struts and tie in with the sway bar links and seem to be the most critical and the most prone to failure. You can get both of these arms from amayama for about $427 including shipping.
I will look into the lowe arm that you mentioned. Figs makes one but they can not get the bushings at the moment. Any link for what you mentioned? Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-11-21, 06:29 PM
jcromero
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the advice. How difficult was it to push the new bushings in to the uppers? If I buy mevotech uppers from Rock Auto plus figs bushings for $100 still way better price than $400 from Figs. I could also do the two oem upgraded lowers and the other 2 lowers from Rock Auto as well. Inner and outer tie rods for about $100 and I believe I have pretty much a new front suspension. I will post pictures of my list and see if I can get additional help. Thank you.
Old 03-11-21, 06:33 PM
jcromero
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the advice. How difficult was it to push the new bushings in to the uppers? If I buy mevotech uppers from Rock Auto plus figs bushings for $100 still way better price than $400 from Figs. I could also do the two oem upgraded lowers and the other 2 lowers from Rock Auto as well. Inner and outer tie rods for about $100 and I believe I have pretty much a new front suspension. I will post pictures of my list and see if I can get additional help. Thank you.
Old 03-12-21, 09:07 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 224 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jcromero
-------
A thought. Mevotech control arms have life-time warranty to the original buyers. Is it worth replacing the bushings on the new Mevotech control arms thereby nullifying their life-time warranty or does it make more sense to leverage Movetech life-time warranty and replace the entire control arms at no cost under the warranty if the bushings go bad? In my experience, it only takes about 30 minutes or so to replace the upper control arms on one side, i.e., not too much work to replace the upper control arms if and when needed. Just a thought.
-----

Last edited by yyymmm31; 03-12-21 at 09:40 AM. Reason: corrected typos
Old 03-12-21, 11:06 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jcromero
I had a local shop press in my bushings for me because I do not have a press, but I understand the job on the upper arm bushings is pretty straight forward if you do have a press. Others who have done this work themselves may chime in. You have a good plan in place, but don't forget about the sway bar links and bushings which are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. Also, don't forget about the ball joint on the steering knuckle that may need to be replaced. That BJ is more of a challenge to press out/in, but manageable as well with a press and some skill.

Quick Reply: 07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement