LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Over 100,000 on your LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 01:08 AM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
Anyone ever change the transmission fluid on their LS460? Did the dealer do it? How much was it?
I bought my 2017 LS 460 in May 2023 and had the ATF serviced with a simple drain and refill by a transmission shop (probably just should have had the Lexus dealer do it on second thought, but I don't know what that would have cost me).

The drain and refill (I supplied the OEM Lexus fluid for them to use because I didn't want the mechanic to refill it from his generic 50 gallon drum ATF he would have doubtless used instead).
It cost me $172 plus they used I think 3 qts maybe 4? At $16 a qt I got a case of from ebay

Old 03-09-24, 11:25 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

2008' 460L 245K miles. Just replaced my engine with a 106K mile junkyard engine. $2100 installed. Hope to get another 150K out of her.
Old 03-09-24, 11:27 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BT3100
2008' 460L 245K miles. Just replaced my engine with a 106K mile junkyard engine. $2100 installed. Hope to get another 150K out of her.
that’s not good. Why did the first one fail?
Old 03-10-24, 04:14 PM
jamiegbf59
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kind of What I Expected

So the family needed a spare vehicle as our two adult children and husbands that live nearby always seem to need to borrow a car once in a while. I also like driving a luxury sedan and wanted to try the LS. I found a one owner 2007 LS460 with 121.000 miles for under $9,000 figuring I would put some money into it. The body was in great shape as it spent the last 17 years in the Houston area. I am in Illinois so this will be its' first exposure to snow and ice although I view this more as a summer/fall ride. The CarFax showed it had regular oil changes and basic maintenance like brakes, battery etc. Water pump was replaced at 90,000 miles.

After changing the air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades, and hood struts (hood would not pop open) myself, I brought it into the mechanic I trust and had him look it over. My intention was to have him change the spark plugs and deal with a small oil leak. When they went to change the plugs they noticed the valve gaskets were leaking oil and when changing the oil they found the oil canister was cracked. I also had them replace the pan gaskets located by the oil canister. Also one of the front control arms needed replacing so the repairs started to pile up. I also had them flush the radiator and basically the radiator crumbled so that needed to be replaced. Finally I replaced the gear shift trim slide cover as the previous one was cracked (big thanks to forum members for help). I will now debate doing a drain and fill with the transmission fluid.

I know compared to German luxury sedans I am pretty lucky but this was a bit more than I expected. I should have a nice driving sedan though but did put another $2500 into it (not including DIY stuff).

I welcome any comments or suggestions on other maintenance items.
Old 03-10-24, 05:33 PM
Hamby86
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jamiegbf59
So the family needed a spare vehicle as our two adult children and husbands that live nearby always seem to need to borrow a car once in a while. I also like driving a luxury sedan and wanted to try the LS. I found a one owner 2007 LS460 with 121.000 miles for under $9,000 figuring I would put some money into it. The body was in great shape as it spent the last 17 years in the Houston area. I am in Illinois so this will be its' first exposure to snow and ice although I view this more as a summer/fall ride. The CarFax showed it had regular oil changes and basic maintenance like brakes, battery etc. Water pump was replaced at 90,000 miles.

After changing the air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades, and hood struts (hood would not pop open) myself, I brought it into the mechanic I trust and had him look it over. My intention was to have him change the spark plugs and deal with a small oil leak. When they went to change the plugs they noticed the valve gaskets were leaking oil and when changing the oil they found the oil canister was cracked. I also had them replace the pan gaskets located by the oil canister. Also one of the front control arms needed replacing so the repairs started to pile up. I also had them flush the radiator and basically the radiator crumbled so that needed to be replaced. Finally I replaced the gear shift trim slide cover as the previous one was cracked (big thanks to forum members for help). I will now debate doing a drain and fill with the transmission fluid.

I know compared to German luxury sedans I am pretty lucky but this was a bit more than I expected. I should have a nice driving sedan though but did put another $2500 into it (not including DIY stuff).

I welcome any comments or suggestions on other maintenance items.
As someone who also recently acquired a 2007 (145k miles now) I knew I would need to put a bit of money into to have it up to my personal standard. Check the trunk button on the trunk itself. Mine was incredibly hard and would not function. It was an easy fix to replace I just followed the steps on this forum. My biggest expense have been new Michelin Defender 2 tires all around to replace the old worn tires previously on the vehicle, new battery, and a few other small minor items like the shift dust cover, hood struts, etc. Other items are not necessary such as weathertech trunk liner, getting an OEM net for the trunk, replacing broken or missing hood clips that cover the engine, replacing the bad tint, full paint correction and detail, and adding a Grom vLite2 (I'm going to do that this month).

While this is my daily driver now I work from home so the LS is in the garage most of the week and my wife's vehicle is what we use if we are all together with the kids. I am however looking forward to taking the LS on some road trips this spring and summer as it is so comfortable on the highway. I did a large post on Cars and Bids of everything I have done and I am doing (waiting on a few OEM items such as wipers) on the auction I won this car.

I've always wanted this era of LS. I used to live in Nagoya Japan and they're made not too far from where I used to live and I sold quite a few of these a long time ago when I worked at Lexus before going to graduate school.
​​​