LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY Spark Plug Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 12:46 PM
DanIrl
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered the Denso Iridium IKBH20TT plugs , they are compatible for our cars on a lot of sites, and for the money its a now brainer, ill get the swapped in as soon as they arrive
Old 06-04-18, 07:22 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 224 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by DanIrl
I ordered the Denso Iridium IKBH20TT plugs , they are compatible for our cars on a lot of sites, and for the money its a now brainer, ill get the swapped in as soon as they arrive
---
Not sure of the spark plug requirements in Ireland. My US LS460 user manual specifies on Page 672:
Spark plug
Make DENSO FK20HBR11
Gap 0.043 in. (1.1 mm)
Since spark plugs play a crucial role in the engine performance and gas consumption, I adhered to the factory's specified requirements for spark plugs when I replaced spark plugs on my car. In fact, I went to a local Toyota dealer to purchase the spark plugs because it seemed to me that the prices of DENSO spark plugs on eBay and Amazon were to low to be genuine. Some of the DESON FK20HBR11 spark plugs were priced at $5/each on Ebay.
----
Old 06-05-18, 05:15 AM
DanIrl
Rookie

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
---
Not sure of the spark plug requirements in Ireland. My US LS460 user manual specifies on Page 672:
Spark plug
Make DENSO FK20HBR11
Gap 0.043 in. (1.1 mm)
Since spark plugs play a crucial role in the engine performance and gas consumption, I adhered to the factory's specified requirements for spark plugs when I replaced spark plugs on my car. In fact, I went to a local Toyota dealer to purchase the spark plugs because it seemed to me that the prices of DENSO spark plugs on eBay and Amazon were to low to be genuine. Some of the DESON FK20HBR11 spark plugs were priced at $5/each on Ebay.
----

Yep, my manual states the same, but my manual is also 11 years old! A friend who works with Toyota states they sometimes use the Denso 4705 IKBH20TT and hey have the same life as the DENSO FK20HBR11 just newer tech.

I'll update once fitted.
Old 06-05-18, 06:59 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

---
Spark plug
Make DENSO FK20HBR11
Gap 0.043 in. (1.1 mm)
----
There are a lot of fakes on ebay, so you're right to be wary of the low prices. I ordered a set of the DENSO FK20HBR11 plugs directly from a Toyota dealer for $103.84 + shipping.

The Toyota part number is 90919-01249. Maybe you can get them from a dealer in Ireland or the UK.
Old 06-05-18, 07:41 AM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

---
Spark plug
Make DENSO FK20HBR11
Gap 0.043 in. (1.1 mm)
----

I got DENSO IKBH20TT for about $7/ea on ebay. I looked up part numbers on Denso website and checked with CL forum here for the recommendation. If the seller is good and has plenty of good ratings, I wouldn't worry about it. Spark plugs are cheap items. You can get Denso O2 sensors for good prices also. I got one of mine for about $70 where the dealer wanted $300. This O2 sensor is for a camry. I uploaded what I bought on ebay in one of my threads.

I don't trust dealer and really hate their prices and their shoddy workmanship. They hire young kids and they are under pressure to turn over cars. A good oil change should take at least 40 minutes to an hour. I have been changing engine oil for over 10 years. it still take me at least 50 minutes. You wait at least 20 minutes for oil to completely drain out. I don't think dealer mechanic is given 20 minutes or proper time to drain out oil.

My LS is in an independent mechanic shop now for maintenance items like changing valve cover gaskets, fuel pump gaskets, pvc valves, all O2 sensors, differential fluid flush, coolant flush, transmission filter and fluid change, etc. I had changed spark plugs, cabin air filter myself. Guess what my mechanic found that the dealer mechanic messed up on? One of the bolts on intake manifold was loose and there was some engine oil leaking out. Unbelievable. The bolt was not even loose. It was like the bolt was not even tightened to begin with.

I only go to dealer mechanic if they cover the whole cost or if they repair car under warranty but I avoid stealership as much as possible.
Old 06-05-18, 05:17 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Spudo769
I was shopping for a 5/8 inch magnetic spark plug socket and came across this: https://www.amazon.com/Ares-Magnetic...ustomerReviews

Does it look like a good idea?
I did this just a couple of weeks ago, and YES, this swivel, magnetic socket with an extension is incredibly useful.

magnetic spark plug socket on an extension magnetic spark plug socket on an extension

I bought mine because of the rear plugs on my wife's RX300, but it was just as helpful on the LS. I thought I'd never use it, again, and considered giving it away, but oh, it's so nice to have the magnetic attachment when putting them through the valve cover!

I managed to do all 8 of mine with removing only the battery (L with air, too). You have to do some twisting to figure out how they'll come out, and I needed to remove a couple more valve cover 'collars' than expected, but I wasn't about the use a pry bar in there or jack the engine up.

Mine had 118K on 'em, after two subsequent tanks of fuel, there's not one whit of difference in MPG.

Last edited by mckellyb; 12-01-19 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-11-18, 11:46 AM
DanIrl
Rookie

I fitted my Denso 4705 plugs today, Pretty straight forward job except that one of the bolts would not come out of the battery tray, it seems like th hole had filled with water, the bolt just wouldnt come out so it made swapping that plug closest to the firewall a little more awkward. Havent drivien the car yet but it started first time which is always good! No error codes or unusal sounds coming from the engine bay which is always nice!
Old 09-04-18, 01:31 PM
TXGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had Lexus replace the ATF on my GS460 (3.5 quarts). They charged me $130.00. The car has 235,000 miles on it. I typically have them do this service very 30K miles. So far, so good.
Old 11-16-18, 09:23 AM
fooldall1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As always, you're my go-to guy for LS460 info. Thanks for the great write up. I have 90k on my car now and considered tackling this job this weekend.

Really, thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
roadfrog (11-16-18)
Old 11-16-18, 11:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Do a follow up and let us know how it went. Glad the guide helped you!
Old 11-16-18, 12:37 PM
fooldall1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious what the change interval are for plugs and coils- or, just "Whenever they fail"?
Old 09-16-19, 05:16 PM
ebr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this great thread. I changed mine last Friday at 61,140 miles. I was told by a service advisor at the dealership where I bought it last March that it is really important to replace the spark plugs at the 60K recommended mileage. He said people think they will work for much longer, which is true in and of itself, but that the service department starts seeing damaged coils resulting from plug mileage going beyond the 60K mark. My old plugs didn't look bad, but the difference the new plugs make is quite noticeable. The idle is now so smooth it is unbelievable, and acceleration is also improved (although the car was such a beast before and I don't stomp on it much anyway). Early indications suggest my mileage has improved by 0.5 to 1 mpg.

A few pointers that really helped (some from others and a few of my own):
  • the magnetic spark plug socket extension is indispensible - I wouldnt try it without this. I bought a 6" one at Autozone for $12.
  • stuffing a shirt below the coils between the engine block and sidewall stopped several dropped 10mm bolts and coil seals from falling when I dropped them. It would have been a true pain and time eater to have to fish them out otherwise.
  • some of the wire connectors were so hard to get off I was afraid I would break them. Most responded to either of two pliers I had, or a combo of thumb squeezing and using a door trim tool to pry the connectors from the bottom. I found that the coils closest to the firewall on both sides could be removed completely out of the way with the seals pulled out, and the coil slightly rotated, so that the wire connectors did not have to be removed. Just go slow and at your own risk - if the wires are brittle they could break.
  • for the most difficult access plug next to the firewall on the drivers side, in addition to unbolting the brake module, I left the coils out for the 2nd and 3rd plugs on this side. That gave me improved access to that nasty plug. All the others were pretty easy in comparison. After getting that coil in, I put the 2nd and 3rd coils back in.
Thanks for so much great advice - I'm new to this forum but finding it extremely helpful!
texas008 (04-19-22)
Old 11-30-19, 04:20 PM
apaper
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Kudos

Great Post ROADFROG. Many thanks for taking the time. I'll be doing this in the coming weeks.

Cheers!
Old 11-30-19, 08:38 PM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by diamente
I got DENSO IKBH20TT for about $7/ea on ebay. I looked up part numbers on Denso website and checked with CL forum here for the recommendation. If the seller is good and has plenty of good ratings, I wouldn't worry about it. Spark plugs are cheap items. You can get Denso O2 sensors for good prices also. I got one of mine for about $70 where the dealer wanted $300. This O2 sensor is for a camry. I uploaded what I bought on ebay in one of my threads.

I don't trust dealer and really hate their prices and their shoddy workmanship. They hire young kids and they are under pressure to turn over cars. A good oil change should take at least 40 minutes to an hour. I have been changing engine oil for over 10 years. it still take me at least 50 minutes. You wait at least 20 minutes for oil to completely drain out. I don't think dealer mechanic is given 20 minutes or proper time to drain out oil.

My LS is in an independent mechanic shop now for maintenance items like changing valve cover gaskets, fuel pump gaskets, pvc valves, all O2 sensors, differential fluid flush, coolant flush, transmission filter and fluid change, etc. I had changed spark plugs, cabin air filter myself. Guess what my mechanic found that the dealer mechanic messed up on? One of the bolts on intake manifold was loose and there was some engine oil leaking out. Unbelievable. The bolt was not even loose. It was like the bolt was not even tightened to begin with.

I only go to dealer mechanic if they cover the whole cost or if they repair car under warranty but I avoid stealership as much as possible.
here's my update.
My mileage on street is 19MPG. and on freeway up to 28MPG but almost 95% of time is 19mpg combined.

I decided to spend about $3.4K in parts and labor cost for a shop to change all my 02 sensors (4), spark plug seals, fuel pump gaskets, water pump, engine coolant, differential fluid, transmission fluid, transmission oil filter, pcv valve, thermostat, valve cover gaskets (2 of them, right and left side, no interchangeable), serpentine belt.

I got all my parts from Ebay and I made sure they were genuine DENSO. if you need my ebay order history, let me know.

I changed air filter, spark plugs, cabin air filter (make sure you follow the steps, push the recirculate button so vent is up). I didn't follow that and damaged the AC. it's fixable but I am too lazy to fix it.

I was out of time and energy after changing out spark plugs. While changing i found out spark plugs were soaked in oil. The spark plug seals need to be replaced. I decided to let someone change out the seals. The spark plug was one of the hardest job i had ever taken. But it's actually easy now since i know how to do the job. I was stuck on removing spark plugs closest to the firewall and that took me about 2 days. Spark plug #4 and #8.
Refer to engine diagram here https://www.2carpros.com/questions/f...-expedition-v8

here's my youtube playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ry_dygegHpNcxy

the one on spark plug
make sure you remove all seals. I think there are 2 at least and it should be bare metal. otherwise, there is no clearance to pull out and install spark plugs #4 and #8.

Make sure you check out my post on fake denso parts on Ebay. I got fake Denso O2 sensor from ebay. I was able to replace one of them myself with a genuine part.

scutch (01-02-20)
Old 01-02-20, 12:41 PM
Bigsk8r
Rookie

This thread has been very useful to me and I thank all the contributors.

Last week I was at my fathers place in Wyoming and decided to do oil, filter, and spark plugs on my LS600h L in his heated pole barn. This thread and the full service manual set that I bought recently were indispensable in getting that done.

I will tell you that if you have the 600h... I would not do it again. Draining the inverter fluid, removing the electrical connection from hybrid battery to capacitor, and dismantling the main inverter wire harness to clear the back two plugs on the pax side was a lot more trepidation than it was worth. I'll pay the $$ to a reputable service shop next time.

Quick Reply: DIY Spark Plug Replacment