LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brembo Brakes Squeel Lexus free repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16 | 10:14 AM
VIPanda460
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tec80
I found that hammering a bit on Brembo brakes every so often helps to keep them squeak-free. If you never use them hard, they glaze up and start squealing. They aren't there to look pretty through the wheel spokes, they are there to provide added stopping performance - so use them hard every once in a while and they will reward you for it. Think of the squealing as a call for attention.
Hammer to the brakes interesting never tried.

High pitched squealing voice and crying for attention...... hmm kinda reminds me of this one ex-girl... oh nvm
Old 05-12-16 | 10:39 AM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bustarice
If you mean the Brembo replacements they were good for me for a bit too but issue came back so hope yours turns out better. Let us know after a month or 2 lol.
Yes, Brembo pad replacements of course. Dealership never did tell me what they replaced it with but they did say "it's the new pads that work with the FSport/Brembo"... whatever.

I've had the new pads on for close to (maybe over) a month. Absolutely no sound at all but now you have me wondering.... Damn!
Old 05-13-16 | 09:18 AM
Tec80
Advanced

The hammer characteristic is appropriate - my Wife was driving it on the freeway and stabbed the brake pedal at 75MPH in response to a traffic slowdown - the initial bite of the Brembos feels like a huge hammer hitting the front of the car. I think our cars also have EBA (Emergency Brake Assist), which fully applies the brakes when a fast stab at the brake pedal is detected - so it could be partly due to that system activating.
Old 05-13-16 | 09:20 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Yes indeed:
DRIVING DYNAMICS

Advanced Braking Systems
All Lexus models come equipped with four-channel, four-sensor anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD). ABS can help maintain steering control during emergency braking maneuvers. In the LX 570 and GX 460 luxury utility vehicles, ABS operates even in low-range four-wheel drive. Sensors monitor road conditions according to changes in wheel speed. Such responsiveness helps the driver maintain control while traversing hilly, unpaved terrain.

All Lexus models are equipped with EBD, which helps to optimize brake pressure at each wheel, especially during braking while cornering. Brake Assist, also standard on all Lexus models, is designed to determine if the driver is attempting emergency braking and, if the driver has not stepped firmly enough on the brake pedal to engage the ABS, Brake Assist (BA) applies increased braking pressure until the brake pedal is released.
Old 06-01-16 | 06:42 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

After my updated TSB was completed I haven't had any squealing at all.
Old 06-02-16 | 07:37 PM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
After my updated TSB was completed I haven't had any squealing at all.
Did the dealer do the TSB for free for you? Do you happen to have that bulletins? My dealer claimed there is nothing relates to brake squealing.
Old 06-02-16 | 08:21 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My1998LS40
Did the dealer do the TSB for free for you? Do you happen to have that bulletins? My dealer claimed there is nothing relates to brake squealing.
Yes it was free and yes it's the latest update posted February 2016

TSB BR-1105 OBSOLETE NOTICE February 24, 2016: This bulletin is now obsolete. Please see L-SB-0009-16

Brake Squeal F-Sport Package

Repair includes 2 Pad Kits and 2 Anti Squeal Shim kits
Old 06-02-16 | 08:23 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Old 06-06-16 | 05:06 PM
Dryrunner
Driver

I have the Carbotech pads and R1 rotors. Going on 14 months and 16k miles. Still quiet and smoooooth. Dust is minimal and a light gray. I do clean the wheels about once a month or so. I hand wash the car and feel guilty cleaning my wheels with the drought still going on. Sometimes I use windex and paper towels. A pain in the *ss with the sport wheels.
Old 06-09-16 | 11:00 AM
seanl
Intermediate

You take the pads out to dinner, then a movie, then....
I admit that I LOL'd from this!

I have a '12 Sport that according to the service history several complaints logged about front brakes squealing. TSB applied at 48000 miles that included both front pads and rotors. Then the front pads, rotors, and wear sensors were replaced again at 56K miles, which makes no sense for a car that was seeing primarily freeway miles.

I bought the car with 64K and it currently has 65K miles and the brakes are silent. And extremely dusty, it's absolutely the worst I've had on any car I've owned...

Appears as if I'll need to change to aftermarket pads to get rid of the dust :-(

Last edited by seanl; 06-09-16 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-09-16 | 11:16 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Ceramic pads are definitely the route to go with these Brembos!
Old 06-15-16 | 10:29 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Default Brakes are track ready, but dust is annoying

So, everyone I know with larger German cars have brake dust stained wheels. The front wheels are only clean off the assembly line. . .when someone pointed out the LS460 Brembo fitment is using the same pad supplier as some German brands, I'm totally not surprised. For me, that explained the epic amounts of brake dust.

I agree with everyone who said to make some hard stops/warm up the brakes when cold/ in the morning, etc. This gets rid of the squeaks for me. But squeaking = high performance brakes. At the track, all the track tuned cars have a deafening squeak and squeel at all speeds. . until a lap is complete.

So the good news is, these brakes are fantastic! I do track my car (I tracked my 2007 non-sport and now my 2012 sport) and even though the 2012 is heavier (due to air suspension, door/trunk closers, etc) it does handle and brake so much better than the 2007.

June 6, Mid Ohio, I was able to brake from 120mph to 45mph or less on the back straight in about 250ft to make a tight right turn several times. No fade. Only smelled burning brakes 3 times. All day. And all in that one spot.

Last year, with my 2007 LS, at the track, I had aftermarket ceramics with cross-drilled / slotted rotors (all of which is usually not recommended for track use, like the CarboTechs are explicitly against.) They were electric heater HOT in the paddock after I got off the track, I smelled burning brakes every other lap, and they were still hot when I went for the next session an hour later.

The Brembos were not nearly as hot and they only got to burning temp 3 or 4 times. So they work. Do you need this level of performance for the street? Probably not. Add crazy dust, and the answer is no.

So yes, I'm the rare unicorn that tracks a LS460. I dominated my large luxury class (I was the only entry.) And I was definitely not the slowest (I passed a decent amount of pony cars, with lesser suspensions I suppose.)

So I can speak to the supernatural braking ability the Brembos have, but for this car, and for the brand, they have the layers of dust no one wants.

After I assess how much wear I got at the track on these new set of pads, I will also be switching to the Power Stop / Akebono combo. I don't mind braking earlier a couple track days a year so I don't have to clean my wheels 52 times a year.

It looks like fresh fireplace ash and soot on top of my wheels every day, and it drives me nuts.
Old 06-15-16 | 10:38 AM
Tec80
Advanced

After a 1200-mile trip over the weekend, still no dust with the Power Stop pads. They are outstanding - they killed the dust problem dead.
Old 06-15-16 | 11:40 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

After a 1200-mile trip over the weekend, still no dust with the Power Stop pads. They are outstanding - they killed the dust problem dead.
Wow that's awesome!
Old 06-15-16 | 08:35 PM
blahsx
Driver School Candidate

does the car have to be under warranty? the brakes on my 2010 with 95k miles

Quick Reply: Brembo Brakes Squeel Lexus free repair