LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is there an easy way to refill the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14 | 09:57 PM
CareyPJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As noted above, the trans has to be at a specific temperature (determined when hooked up to a computer) when topping up the fluid. It's pretty much the same procedure that is used in filling my previous BMW 745i.
Yep, I was able to activate the fluid temperature detection mode, but the blinking D indicated that the ATF temperature was too high. After waiting for 15 minutes or so for it to cool down, the second iteration yielded the same "higher than proper temperature", so i resorted to just measuring the fluid I needed to drain (instead of the precise, "If the ATF flows from the overflow tube and the ATF flows in a thin stream, the fluid amount is normal.")

I think I'll take it to the dealer next time, when I reach 200k.
Old 02-11-14 | 06:59 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Lavrishevo
Does your procedure apply to an LS 430 or and LS 460?
Way different transmissions.
Old 02-11-14 | 07:29 AM
vasy
Driver School Candidate

Default Sealed or not

This is my understanding about "sealed" transmission. When Toyota says sealed transmission, it means that the inside of the transmission is not open to ambient air under normal driving condition. This is achieved by not having a dipstick. WS fluid is hygroscopic. If WS fluid absorbs moisture from the air, its service life gets shortened. Some Toyota cars use WS fluid but still have dipsticks. These cars, according to Toyota, need to have their transmission fluid changed around 100,000 miles. I agree that even for sealed transmission, it's a good idea to change the fluid around 100,000 miles, if you plan to keep the car for a long time.
Old 02-11-14 | 07:44 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlawr
Lavrishevo
Does your procedure apply to an LS 430 or and LS 460?
Way different transmissions.
Correct. This procedure is for the 04 - 06 430, as I mentioned. It is actually very similar to the 460. Almost exactly the same procedure.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8373646-post9.html

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-11-14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-11-14 | 09:14 PM
shrikelex
Driver

I've always take my cars to the Valvoline, dem boys know what to do, I aint seen oil in years, just easier that way, aint know way I'm messing with some tranny fluid, stuff is nasty
Old 02-13-14 | 03:50 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

CareyP

It's imperative that the fluid level is correct for the tranny to function properly in these new model. Older model with dip stick the tolerance is more. If I were you I would take it to the dealer and pay a few bucks for them to adjust to the proper level. Since you did 90% of the work I can't image they will charge much. But again it's the stealership. Lol.
Old 02-13-14 | 09:20 PM
CareyPJ
Rookie

Yes, I plan to have the dealer review my work.

What a nightmare !

I'll let everyone know the final verdict.
Old 02-16-14 | 03:30 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Ls-460 tranny oil

Originally Posted by CareyPJ

I'm approaching 100k in my 2007 LS460, so I drained the transmission fluid & assumed it would be easy to refill (just like my GS400).

Imagine my surprise when the socket wouldn't fit into the gap between the transmission case & some insulation to access the "refill plug".

A long 24mm wrench finally did the trick, but what a pain!

Any thoughts or tricks to share?

I have the WS ATF fluid, but haven't ventured onto the next steps of "Fill Transmission" & then "Adjust Fluid Level".

Thanks
I have friends and I have a neighbor who who work for Lexus and on Lexus cars. One works at a MAJOR DEALERSHIP. They all say NEVER even think about changing the transmission fluid. It's a sealed unit and takes special equipment to do it anyway. These are personal friends of mine and I trust them. They say "LEAVE IT ALONE."

Last edited by Carnut; 02-16-14 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Left out most important part
Old 02-16-14 | 04:55 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Ask your friend why Aisin, the manufacturer of the transmission, designed it to be serviced. Not to mention that in Canada Lexus instructs the 430 transmission be serviced every 60k yet in the US it's "lifetime". For those who are really serious about this subject, may I suggest taking a sample of your transmission fluid at the your next interval and then have it analyzed by a lab. It's cheap and several members in the 430 forum have done this. It will tell you exactly the condition of the lubricant. I realize that the 460 and 04-06 430 do not have the same exact transmission but they are very similar and use the same WS synthetic fluid and both lack dipsticks. Neither are sealed but have both a drain and refill port.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

This is a great thread on the 430 side that shows some real data. I plan on doing it myself next time I have mine drained and refilled.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...id-thread.html

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-16-14 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (07-26-21)
Old 02-17-14 | 09:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Ask your friend why Aisin, the manufacturer of the transmission, designed it to be serviced. Not to mention that in Canada Lexus instructs the 430 transmission be serviced every 60k yet in the US it's "lifetime". For those who are really serious about this subject, may I suggest taking a sample of your transmission fluid at the your next interval and then have it analyzed by a lab. It's cheap and several members in the 430 forum have done this. It will tell you exactly the condition of the lubricant. I realize that the 460 and 04-06 430 do not have the same exact transmission but they are very similar and use the same WS synthetic fluid and both lack dipsticks. Neither are sealed but have both a drain and refill port.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

This is a great thread on the 430 side that shows some real data. I plan on doing it myself next time I have mine drained and refilled.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...id-thread.html
BMW has the same logic as Lexus with regards to transmissions: Lifetime fluid. However, after much debate at Bimmerfest.com, Blackstone fluid samples/analysis, etc, folks were heading to shops getting their fluid changes done. That post above with the analysis of the Lexus transmission (lifetime fluid), is exactly why I will change my fluid out. There is no "lifetime fluid" (although I guess that depends ion Lexus' definition of lifetime). Those levels of wear metals and additives remaining etc, clearly indicates that we should be changing the fluid regularly. For 175 bucks, it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. When I replace mine I will send in a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (07-26-21)
Old 12-19-22 | 09:33 PM
GenXY
Rookie

I'm approaching 100k in my 2007 LS460, so I drained the transmission fluid & assumed it would be easy to refill (just like my GS400).

Imagine my surprise when the socket wouldn't fit into the gap between the transmission case & some insulation to access the "refill plug".

I have the WS ATF fluid, but haven't ventured onto the next steps of "Fill Transmission" & then "Adjust Fluid Level".

Thanks
You could try using a pump to fill the pan through the overflow hole.

Check out this video @16:58

Last edited by GenXY; 12-19-22 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-20-22 | 07:06 AM
jud149
Advanced

Thanks
Next time try the dealer. They charged me around $160 a couple of years ago. You can barely buy the fluid and filter for that.
Old 12-20-22 | 08:05 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GenXY

Check out this video @16:58https://youtu.be/6dKEMI_YFrQ?t=1015
I got kinda creeped out trying to watch that video.
Old 12-20-22 | 08:36 AM
twostick
9th Gear

I have a free app on my phone called Torque and a Bluetooth dongle that you can get for $15-$20 that will read every sensor on the car including trans temp as well as fault codes. It will also erase codes.

Kevin
Old 12-20-22 | 08:50 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Carista app is considered to be best for Lexus by many forum members. And it works with IOS too.

Quick Reply: Is there an easy way to refill the transmission?