LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlight timer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 05:51 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Headlight timer

I must be missing something does this make sense to me.
Headlight switch is on auto.
If I go into the nav unit to vehicle settings. I find the headlight timer settings.
If I set it to 30 sec. the headlights turn off when I shut off the car and then wait 30 seconds.

But if I set it to OFF and then turn off the car the headlights should turn off right?
Instead they stay on, and from what I can tell never turn off. I waited 5 minutes before I gave up and changed the setting back.

To me OFF should mean there is no delayed timer and the lights just come on when it is dark and off in daylight. Of courser with the car started and the headlight switch still on auto.
Old 02-11-14, 06:19 PM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayh78
But if I set it to OFF and then turn off the car the headlights should turn off right?
Instead they stay on, and from what I can tell never turn off. I waited 5 minutes before I gave up and changed the setting back.
Did you sit in the car while you did this? The driver side door has to be opened and closed for this function to work.
Old 02-11-14, 06:35 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

I think you need some help understanding how all this works.

The first thing we need to clear up is the "AUTO" position on the stem switch. When the headlights are set to the Auto position they come on when the ambient light level is low and go off when the light level is high but only when the ignition is on. The "Auto" position on the stem switch has nothing to do with automatically turning the lights off after the ignition is turned off.

The delay that you are referring to is related to the feature that automatically turns the headlights off after the ignition is turned off. This auto-off feature works whether the stem switch is in ON position or Auto position. The delay that you are adjusting begins, if the headlights are on when the ignition is turned off, when at least one door is opened followed by all doors and trunk closed.
Old 02-11-14, 11:18 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I think you need some help understanding how all this works.

The first thing we need to clear up is the "AUTO" position on the stem switch. When the headlights are set to the Auto position they come on when the ambient light level is low and go off when the light level is high but only when the ignition is on. The "Auto" position on the stem switch has nothing to do with automatically turning the lights off after the ignition is turned off.

The delay that you are referring to is related to the feature that automatically turns the headlights off after the ignition is turned off. This auto-off feature works whether the stem switch is in ON position or Auto position. The delay that you are adjusting begins, if the headlights are on when the ignition is turned off, when at least one door is opened followed by all doors and trunk closed.

Thanks for the detailed explanation which I needed. But it looks like you have to be a little careful and fully understand it.
I love the fact that the LS is so customizable.
But I was trying to do something I don’t think I can have. Trying to make it like my old car and what I am used to from habit. Which is having the lights cut on & off depending on daylight, but also always cut off when I turn off the car.

The timer was originally set for 30 seconds. I changed that to OFF to try it out.

Later went out to the garage to take out a CD. I went into the passenger seat since the driver’s side is closer to a wall and not as easy to get into, and the passenger side is right beside my entrance door into the garage from my house.
Turned car on and of course the lights came on. Got out closed the door. Did not really pay much attention to the headlights. Figured if they were on they would cut off.
But when I turned around before going in the house I noticed they stayed on. If I had not turned around I may have ended up with a dead battery.
So I changed the timer back to 30 seconds. Repeat and the lights turn off in 30 seconds with just the passenger door opening & closing. But if timer set to off the lights will not cut off with just the passenger door opening & closing.
It has to be the only the driver’s door that opens & closes for the headlight timer to work if it is set to off.
Any other setting and the timer works with the passenger door and driver’s door.