LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best switch location for Prestigious Society Bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14 | 06:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Default Best switch location for Prestigious Society Bypass?

I just received my PS module today and will be installing it shortly. I will also do a DIY how-to with pics, etc.

For those that have done the install....Where did you mount the switch? I have seen a couple of options, but none truly look OEM or seamless to me.

Suggestions?
Old 02-13-14 | 06:16 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Not going to use the switch often..put it in the armrest or glovebox
Old 02-13-14 | 08:15 PM
RR601
Intermediate

I also could not find a good place for a switch for a hard wired radar detector. I wont use the switch much so mounted a short toggle switch on the panel just under the dash. I can reach it and its out of site.
I looked at a bunch of different switches and locations but nothing looked good. So for me out of site but easy to get to was the next best thing
Old 02-13-14 | 08:19 PM
philj
Driver

if it is for the NAV in motion override I think you can set it up so you can press the mode button on the steering wheel 3 times quickly or the up volume or something like that, if you do that you do not have to use the button.

When I installed it I used a drill to drill a small hole in the upper left of the ash tray and ran the wire through the hole. The button was small enough that I could close the ash tray door and it was out of sight. The button was black so you did not notice it after a while.

Also the ash tray is the right size to hold your phone so it is always handy.

just my idea
Old 02-13-14 | 08:34 PM
Hammer578
Driver School Candidate

Just had mine installed today. Mine uses volume buttons on steering. Twice down and twice up. However my unit maybe bad. It goes in and out of working continuously.
Old 02-13-14 | 08:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

LOL...depends on the phone. I have a Galaxy Note 3.

Not going to use the switch often..put it in the armrest or glovebox
Really? Seems I'd be using it quite often. It only works for 5 mins after pressing the switch, no?
Old 02-13-14 | 08:54 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog

LOL...depends on the phone. I have a Galaxy Note 3.

Really? Seems I'd be using it quite often. It only works for 5 mins after pressing the switch, no?
I thought the only purpose for the switch was to put it back to oem in case you get stopped by the cops (if running movies on front nav screen in view of driver)
Old 02-13-14 | 08:58 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I thought the only purpose for the switch was to put it back to oem in case you get stopped by the cops (if running movies on front nav screen in view of driver)
)

Hmmm....no I don't think so. According to the instructions, the switch disables the NAV for 5 mins (allowing you to punch in addys etc), and then reverts back to normal mode afterwards or if you turn the switch off. However, the DVD player always functions and allows movie play regardless of switch position.
Old 02-13-14 | 09:20 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
)

Hmmm....no I don't think so. According to the instructions, the switch disables the NAV for 5 mins (allowing you to punch in addys etc), and then reverts back to normal mode afterwards or if you turn the switch off. However, the DVD player always functions and allows movie play regardless of switch position.
Oh ok..I guess I misunderstood. .I thought it was an "always on" type of setup
Old 02-13-14 | 09:55 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

but how often are u using the oem gps???fulltime dvd can be turned off thru the radio just dont click view pic icon... 2nd thought i use it too access ipod info on screen while driving but even then its not too difficult to thumb the button under the armrest lid
Old 02-14-14 | 04:57 AM
philj
Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Wen you engage the PS unit the NAV unit thinks you are parked so the map wont show your real location. you engage it to set a address in the NAV unit or make a call or pick a song on your HD and then you go back to OEM so you can see where you are.

However CJITTY I saw your you tube video when I was looking for the Vais unit. (great job by the way) if you have that why do you need the PS unit?
Old 02-14-14 | 07:11 AM
Hammer578
Driver School Candidate

So maybe this is why I thought mine was bad. I thought once you engaged the unit it was always on. So it only engages for you to enter? I guess mine works just fine then.
Old 02-14-14 | 10:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

if you have that why do you need the PS unit?
Ideally, you want both. The PS allows you to access all your NAV screens features - phone lists, navigation, calendar, service info, DVD player to watch movies, etc WHILE you drive. The VaIS allows you to use your cell phone's song lists, apps, messaging, etc on your NAV screen. My next purchase will be the Vais. It's an excellent combination.

So maybe this is why I thought mine was bad. I thought once you engaged the unit it was always on. So it only engages for you to enter? I guess mine works just fine then.
Correct. HOWEVER, you do have the option to have it on all the time through a series of actions which PS refers to as "manual mode":

"The manual mode allows the user to enhance the navigation indefinitely (remove the 5 min limitation). To program from the Auto Mode to Manual Mode (or one mode to the other). Just follow the following steps:

1. Before starting the vehicle, press and hold the navi button.
2. Push twice on the Start Engine button without pressing on the brake pedal (while continuing to hold the navi button).
3. Continue to hold the button for 7 seconds until you hear a click from the module and see the red light blink once.
4. You are now in manual mode and will stay in that mode until you repeat these procedures to program back to AUTO mode."
Old 02-14-14 | 10:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I wish there was a blank in the dash or console like the other Lexus models have. Then I could buy a switch from Toyota or Lexus and have a nice, stock/OEM look.
Old 02-14-14 | 02:33 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by philj
if it is for the NAV in motion override I think you can set it up so you can press the mode button on the steering wheel 3 times quickly or the up volume or something like that, if you do that you do not have to use the button.

When I installed it I used a drill to drill a small hole in the upper left of the ash tray and ran the wire through the hole. The button was small enough that I could close the ash tray door and it was out of sight. The button was black so you did not notice it after a while.

just my idea
I have the PS installed in my '07. Where are the instructions to set it up on the steering wheel's "Mode" button? Right now I have the switch as shown here:

Thanks

Quick Reply: Best switch location for Prestigious Society Bypass?