LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Paint flaking off rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-14, 01:49 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Paint flaking off rims

So my rims are having some paint issues. Looking for advice from the experts here.

Factory rims, paint around center hub is flaking and bubbling away. Chunks are coming off. If I try any sort of repair, I will have to take the paint off the entire rim. Is this something that Lexus would repair even though it is out of warranty? Car only has 54k miles but is an 07

I will add that I just bought the car a few weeks ago, but dealer I bought it from is 3 hrs away. So that would be over a 6hr drive to bring it to them.

Thoughts?

Paint flaking off rims-img_5050.jpg

Last edited by greg3852; 03-22-14 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-22-14, 02:21 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested in the feedback here, as I have the same problem with chrome flaking off of my rims. . .
Old 03-22-14, 02:23 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm 100% sure you'll be on your own with this. I don't see them doing this even under warranty. Especially now that it's out of warranty
Old 03-22-14, 02:32 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

i still have platinum warranty, any chance for help from lexus??
Old 03-22-14, 03:32 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

I believe it specifically excludes wheels, tires, paint and trim. But it never hurts to ask.

Old 03-22-14, 03:33 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

You are correct, i just went and re-read the contract
Old 03-22-14, 03:48 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an estimate to have them powder coated. Or look for a used set to buy - Could be cheaper.
Old 03-22-14, 04:09 PM
BigWalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the painted wheels any wheel repair shop could do a simple light sand and respray of them, Sewell Audi did it to all 4 wheels on my LS at my request before the sale. Chrome wheels are a different story as they would need to be completely stripped and re chrome dipped... cost over value i'm not sure its worth it because I don't think it will ever be perfect again or match 100%.
Old 03-22-14, 05:04 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Posted a picture in the original post. If I were to pull on any of the bubbled paint, it will come off.

Do you think I'd have any luck haggling with the dealership since it was painted perfect when I picked it up less than 2 weeks ago? I would think they would want to keep me somewhat happy. I think I'm going to try this route.
Old 03-22-14, 05:13 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

I got a quote locally for $600 to do all 4 of my oem 19s in hyper silver. .same color as previous gen GS. I like that slightly darker silver with shine. This includes dismount, prep, powder coat, clear and remount and balance with lifetime warranty
Old 03-22-14, 05:22 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Posted a picture in the original post. If I were to pull on any of the bubbled paint, it will come off.

Do you think I'd have any luck haggling with the dealership since it was painted perfect when I picked it up less than 2 weeks ago? I would think they would want to keep me somewhat happy. I think I'm going to try this route.
Wouldn't hurt..dealers do a half azz job of touch ups before sale..especially wheels..I have two with that issue
Old 03-22-14, 06:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
I'm 100% sure you'll be on your own with this. I don't see them doing this even under warranty. Especially now that it's out of warranty
I have had this happen to my 08 GX and 08 IS and under the original 4yr/50k warranty both were covered. They actually replaced them and on the GX I had them replaced right at 49k miles. It is a known problem and I actually had a discussion with my service advisor last week about it and he said they have to send them back to the manufacturer instead of fixing them because fixing them would be a cost to them vs sending them back to the company that manufactures them.

Unfortunately for the OP, he's out of warranty so he is in his own.
Old 03-22-14, 06:37 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd go a little further than "luck"... This is a known problem with Lexus wheels, as others have pointed out. More importantly, if you say the wheels were "painted perfect" when you picked up the car, this tells me that they knew exactly what they were selling you and did just enough to cover it up. Damage like this doesn't happen in two weeks. I would be polite and professional about it, but firm that they should make this right. Incidentally, these particular wheels can be had for very cheap these days.
Old 03-22-14, 06:45 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice. I actually emailed the dealer and offered to make the 3 hour drive to them if they agree to resand and spray the wheels and fix the glovebox. I explained that the wheels in no way looked like this when I bought it, and whoever touched them up did a half-assed job. Hopefully they will agree since I'm willing to take a whole day and use my gas to drive up to them. It'll cost them nothing but their time and a little paint.

Side question, do we have any direct contacts or company reps from Lexus that frequent the forum? I know most of the computer related forums I belong to have company reps who are members of the forum.
Old 03-22-14, 06:52 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I actually emailed the dealer and offered to make the 3 hour drive to them if they agree to resand and spray the wheels and fix the glovebox. I explained that the wheels in no way looked like this when I bought it, and whoever touched them up did a half-assed job. Hopefully they will agree since I'm willing to take a whole day and use my gas to drive up to them. It'll cost them nothing but their time and a little paint.

Side question, do we have any direct contacts or company reps from Lexus that frequent the forum? I know most of the computer related forums I belong to have company reps who are members of the forum.
There are a few self-identified master technicians and sales consultants on the forum. Beyond that, there are most likely representatives from corporate, district managers, etc., but those are incognito as far as I know.

Where in MA are you?

Quick Reply: Paint flaking off rims