LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Move from 2008 to 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 06:41 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
If you don't like the color, why drop $55 k on something that doesn't speak to you ?

Personally I prefer the newer design so 2013+ holds dearer to my heart. If I was in your shoes, I would keep the car I have..since you took the depreciation hit on one, why take it one another...that is not that much different.
I hear ya, I will make a decision tomorrow when I see it again and take her for a ride. There are some colors I simply wouldn't take, but I'm okay with the color....maybe it doesn't "speak" to me, but the I also didn't think I would want the charcoal gray exterior either, or if I would like the black interior, but ended liking both. So, I'll see how I feel about the color tomorrow. My wife seems to like the "blue", so that is good. But thanks for your thoughts on it for sure.
Old 03-23-14, 07:31 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the spindle grill and agree that the mouse based control takes practice. Seems like a step backwards since most consumer electronics are touch enabled.
Old 03-23-14, 09:41 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
I hear ya, I will make a decision tomorrow when I see it again and take her for a ride. There are some colors I simply wouldn't take, but I'm okay with the color....maybe it doesn't "speak" to me, but the I also didn't think I would want the charcoal gray exterior either, or if I would like the black interior, but ended liking both. So, I'll see how I feel about the color tomorrow. My wife seems to like the "blue", so that is good. But thanks for your thoughts on it for sure.
Even if you don't buy..take some pics of the car. Also the "problem" you have on your hands is a good one to have

Originally Posted by twadem
I prefer the spindle grill and agree that the mouse based control takes practice. Seems like a step backwards since most consumer electronics are touch enabled.
I prefer the spindle grille and love my mouse based control on my new Lexus.

When the 01+ LS came out, and the design change happened in 04/05 there was people who didn't like the upgrade. But looking at resale, the updated car held better value.

I wonder how the 13+ LS will work out vs the 07-12 cars...
Old 03-23-14, 10:24 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention the cabin is much improved, IMO.
Old 03-24-14, 10:49 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Okay....the car drove just as I expected, but a couple of questions. This model is AWD and my 2008 is RWD. I've never had a AWD vehicle, but does that effect gas mileage any? I get about 17-18 around town in my LS, and about 28-30 on the highway depending on conditions and how heavy my foot is, so really like the mileage I'm getting now. Not a deal breaker, but curious as to whether the AWD effects that. Any negatives to AWD? I don't live in a snow/ice area, so not really needed, but is what this car has. I was also surprised the back seats recline and have vibrating seats! What the? I thought that was only on the "L" models. Pretty cool thing, not needed, but is that unusual? Also, my current model has the hard drive, which the 2012 model does not. That sucks, but again, not a deal breaker....how do people set up their music on this system? I do listen to my hard drive music a LOT. Oh....on my 08 I had to get them to fix the wind noise on my driver side window when I got it. I did not notice any wind noise today, but did they end up fixing that issue in the later models? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Last edited by clemgrad85; 03-24-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 02:29 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

On the 2010+ LS models Lexus did away with the hard drive. You will need to use any USB or bluetooth enabled device to connect to the audio system. The 2010 - 2012 models also had a 6 slot DVD/CD changer. They could play DVD Audio - which is a step up from plain CDs.

I think that the 2013+ models only have a single slot CD player. I am not positive about this though.
Old 03-25-14, 05:24 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Any thoughts on my mileage question with AWD? As I mentioned, I get about 17-18 around town in my current 2008 RWD vehicle and 28-30 on the highway, will AWD reduce that mileage some?
Old 03-25-14, 06:19 AM
sarantis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be the contrarian here but it sounds like you have at least a mild case of newgadgetexcitementatosis of which there is no known cure. It appears to now be in your blood and will not be removed until you buy that car. Happens to me all the time. Having said that, you've got a perfectly good car now with no car payment (I would assume) AND you are 55k richer. It will probably go on to give you at least 5 more years of problem free driving if not more. And there's really not much difference in what you want to get. But then again, you have the the disease and therefore will get that car. Enjoy.
Old 03-25-14, 06:35 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sarantis
I may be the contrarian here but it sounds like you have at least a mild case of newgadgetexcitementatosis of which there is no known cure. It appears to now be in your blood and will not be removed until you buy that car. Happens to me all the time. Having said that, you've got a perfectly good car now with no car payment (I would assume) AND you are 55k richer. It will probably go on to give you at least 5 more years of problem free driving if not more. And there's really not much difference in what you want to get. But then again, you have the the disease and therefore will get that car. Enjoy.
Excellent analysis! I've just NEVER had a car this long before so kind of freaking out about the future value. Some people have boats, or like to travel, or drop tons of money on golf or other such habits....my one vice is I like a nice car. I agree, my current car would likely do quite well over the next 3 - 5 years, but will certainly not have much value by then...at least...not much to allow for anything towards another nice vehicle. I could save the money between now and then....true....and have a good chunk of change at that time for another car. One thing I didn't mention, is I will likely do a 3 year single pay lease, and the amount I would put down on the 2012 is about what I'd get for my current 2008. So, basically swapping a 2008 for a 2012. Then, in 2017 I'd have to decide whether to turn it in, or buy it. I'd be accumulating the funds over the next 3 years for that decision anyway, but at least I'd be in a newer car during that time. I did this for my 2008 vehicle and bought it after 3 years. Oh, and yes, it is a paid for car. So, I just have to make the decision. Thanks for everyone listening to me go on and on.
Old 03-25-14, 07:22 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Cars are absolutely the worst investment. They are guaranteed to loose money, collectables excluded. I also vote to keep your car. Take the money and invest it. Put it to work for you instead of dumping it into a new car even though your car is perfectly fine and still has a warranty. It's your money but you might be interested to know that 80% of millionaires don't buy new cars. From a financial perspective it is not a smart decision.
Old 03-25-14, 07:32 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Cars are absolutely the worst investment. They are guaranteed to loose money, collectables excluded. I also vote to keep your car. Take the money and invest it. Put it to work for you instead of dumping it into a new car even though your car is perfectly fine and still has a warranty. It's your money but you might be interested to know that 80% of millionaires don't buy new cars. From a financial perspective it is not a smart decision.
Yes....I agree cars are lousy investments. Looks like I just need to make a big boy decision and move on. I appreciate your opinion, and makes good sense. I have read that book "The Millionaire Next Door", and many of them you wouldn't even know had much money. Thanks again.
Old 03-25-14, 08:43 AM
Mitty
Rookie

I have a 2011 AWD and love it. My model isn't very loaded, as it lacks the ML and some other goodies, but I'm very happy with it. I've only owned it for a little under 2 months and have driven mostly city miles. I also tend to have to wait for kids getting out of practice so I sit with it idling a few time a week. Also, I like to drive it like I stole it once in awhile. So with all that, I am averaging about 16 mpg.

If I wanted to, I could buy new, but I can't ever see myself doing that. I think the best deals going are 3-4 year old CPO Lexus vehicles. Not the cheapest deal, but the best deal when taking into account value, dependability, etc.
Old 03-27-14, 08:01 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Well....this won't likely be that surprising, but drove off the lot yesterday in the 2012 LS 460. After having it for a full day, I have to say it is even smoother and quieter than my '08 LS. I just couldn't turn down a 2012 with just 8800 miles on it. This has some features that I didn't have on my previous car, so might need some assistance on how some of these things work. I can raise the height of the car? Anyway, very cool car for sure.
Old 03-27-14, 09:09 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations!

can't wait to see pix!
Old 03-27-14, 09:17 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I can see how you could not walk away congrats!

Quick Reply: Move from 2008 to 2012?