LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying a 2008 LS 460 - Accidents?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 08:25 AM
greddy09sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a 2008 LS 460 - Accidents?

I've been lurking here for over 6 months and inches from finally owning an LS.

I just put a deposit on a 2008 LS460 comfort package. $29K. 66K miles.

Autocheck confirms no accidents. I notice rear bumper plastic clips been replaced. Salesman say records indicates dealership did paint the front and rear bumpers due to rock chips and dents. Is that believable? Or it's been hit? I know that if accidents doesn't go through insurance claims then it won't show up on history reports. Should I be worried? Should I run a carfax and see the difference with Auto check?

Salesman recommend getting a third party inspector to inspect the car. Dealer will fix everything car inspector finds. He recommended me an inspector. Site looks legit but i'm afraid they might be working for each other. So, to be unbiased, I decided to bring the car inspected by Lexus today. Let you know what I find.

If bumpers been painted, its' ok to buy right? Or should I take off and run!

Also, the rear seats recline. I thought only L version have reclining seats?

Thanks in advance for any advise/comments

Here's some details about the car if you want to read it:

2008 Lexus LS460 Comfort - Climate Leather - Sunroof - NAV - Rear Cam - Power Shade - Xenon HIDs - Very Clean - Only 66K Miles
2008 Lexus LS460 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl) with Obsidian Exterior, Black Interior. Loaded with Comfort Package, 4.6L V8 EFI Engine, Leather Seats, Heated And Ventilated Front Seats, Power Front Seats, Driver Seat Memory, Power Glass Moonroof, Leather And Wood Steering Wheel Trim, Heated Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Audio Steering Wheel Controls, AM/FM/CD Audio System, Navigation System, Rearview Camera, Automatic Climate Control, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Power Exterior Mirrors, Rear Power Sunshade, Power Trunk, Xenon HID Lights, 18 Inch Wheels and more.

Last edited by greddy09sc; 04-01-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-01-14, 08:47 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation Get a carfax

Yes, by all means, spend the $40.00 on a carfax. I'm very glad I did.

I was ready to send a deposit check on a 2011 IS350C F-Sport because the autocheck showed no accidents and the dealer told me that the car was perfect. Something told me to get a carfax and it revealed that the car had rear ended another vehicle and had acquired substantial damage that was repaired. I moved on.

I'm not saying that a carfax is the best, but in this particular case, it did reveal the truth.

Best of luck with your purchase.

StillLine
Old 04-01-14, 10:09 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like it may have been hit since the L is missing off the trunk. Only the L series reclines.
Old 04-01-14, 10:45 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, get the Carfax, but even that will not show all accidents the car may have been in. Got to just have the car inspected well. Would be nice if you could have an auto body guy look at it, even if you have to pay him. But if it doesn't feel and look right, I would move on.
Old 04-01-14, 11:11 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Yes, by all means, spend the $40.00 on a carfax. I'm very glad I did.

I was ready to send a deposit check on a 2011 IS350C F-Sport because the autocheck showed no accidents and the dealer told me that the car was perfect. Something told me to get a carfax and it revealed that the car had rear ended another vehicle and had acquired substantial damage that was repaired. I moved on.

I'm not saying that a carfax is the best, but in this particular case, it did reveal the truth.

Best of luck with your purchase.

StillLine
AutoCheck & CarFax both can be hit or miss, when I was searching for my first 460 the CarFax was clean but the AutoCheck show flood vehicle so not always the case.

Originally Posted by Rayh78
Sounds like it may have been hit since the L is missing off the trunk. Only the L series reclines.
Not always the case, some 460 SWB can be build out to order with certain options. CJITTY's old SWB had rear cooling and reclining rear seats with leather on all four door armrest. Check out this thread he put together.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-and-vids.html
Old 04-01-14, 11:31 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

Definitely get the car inspected but NOT at the place the dealer recommended. Save the money on the carfax and take it by a body shop and ask the guy to look over it - an experienced body shop guy will spot any accident repairs. It may have just had scratches on the bumper covers but it could also have been in an multicar accident.
Old 04-01-14, 11:38 AM
dapimpee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple months ago i came across a gs450 with clean records on both Autocheck and Carfax at the local Lexus dealership. However, when i came out and checked the car i spotted a cracked front bumper, and the edge of the front hood was not in a straigh line with the rest of the car, side doors have been repainted. I asked the sale guy , he inspected the car and told me yes the car has been in the accident. .
Old 04-01-14, 12:53 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
AutoCheck & CarFax both can be hit or miss, when I was searching for my first 460 the CarFax was clean but the AutoCheck show flood vehicle so not always the case.

Not always the case, some 460 SWB can be build out to order with certain options. CJITTY's old SWB had rear cooling and reclining rear seats with leather on all four door armrest. Check out this thread he put together.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-and-vids.html
Yeah I have the Old CJITTY Option-rear seat recline and heat/cool.leather armrest in my SWB, I almost bought the L, but like I said in a prior post somebody got busy in the rear seats at some point in time and the smell of the leather just didn't seem right lol.
Old 04-01-14, 01:10 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

CarFax comments have me curious as on my recent purchase of my 2012 LS 460, the CarFax was supplied online as well as in my sales paperwork, and it showed "No Issues Reported" for items such as Total Loss, Structural Damage, Airbag Deployment, and Other Accidents/Damage. Am I reading correctly that these can't always be dependable? I did make sure the VIN on the CarFax matched the VIN on the vehicle, so a little curious if this is something that is often rigged? I'd be bummed and a little upset if this wasn't correct.

Also, my 2012 LS 460 is NOT an "L" version, and I have reclining seats (and vibrating seats). Even the sales person was a little surprised to see this, but apparently some people were able to get the reclining seat package? It is not an "L" though.
Old 04-01-14, 03:06 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

Carfax and Autocheck reports are only as good as the data reported to them. Carfax has their buyback guarrantee if anything catastrophic is missed but I haven't read the small print.............
Old 04-01-14, 04:22 PM
greddy09sc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your comments. Looks like Carfax is as good as AutoCheck. I got the carfax and it's cleared. No Accidents.

Took the car in to Lexus for an inspection and car inspected fine.

Dealer confirm me that it's not an L version so I assume this car had the rear recliner and rear cool seats customized. A plus for me.

On another note, There's some rock chips and scratches on the hood. I asked to have it touch up and he say there's too many rock chips to touch up. They can send to their body shop for total hood painted free of charge.
I believe a painted hood and it's clear coat will never be as good as the original, right?

Should I take advantage of the free paint or live with the rock chips and have it's original paint?
Old 04-01-14, 05:11 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well myself if it were a beemer I like the body a little rough looking, rock chips bring em on! far as a Lexus, fresh paint would likely rule, Now, if it were a Porsche 911 I see a lot of sellers stress Original paint so I think you'd be fine with a repaint "Nothing like the smell of Fresh Paint" enjoy!
Old 04-01-14, 06:30 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by greddy09sc
Thanks for all your comments. Looks like Carfax is as good as AutoCheck. I got the carfax and it's cleared. No Accidents.

Took the car in to Lexus for an inspection and car inspected fine.

Dealer confirm me that it's not an L version so I assume this car had the rear recliner and rear cool seats customized. A plus for me.
My old 460 short wheel base had the rear recline and cooled seats too...nothing custom going on. Just a package called comfort plus. You should check the faq thread for the thread called 460 options cheat sheet. The rear recline is very slight..not like the exec package with right rear seat full recline with ottoman. Take it to an independent body shop so they can give you a proper body inspection
Old 04-09-14, 02:24 PM
greddy09sc
Driver School Candidate

Lexus inspection discovered left shock leaking and due for replacement. The Used car dealership say they will order the replacement of both shocks from Lexus and replace it for me free of charge. I looked at the shocks after it's been replacned and it say KYB on the shocks.

Is this factory replacement shocks or something they bought from an Auto part store?
Thanks.
Old 04-09-14, 02:32 PM
dapimpee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my RX rear bumper repainted due to the big scratch with no collision involve so anything is possible. Bring a professional inspector.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2008 LS 460 - Accidents?