LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Opinions wanted on plastidip for 07 LS 460L

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 09:26 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
cant belive plasti dip has made its way into the ls forums , i thought it was just for thye teenagers buying up the sc400s and hondas,

plasti dip is a cheap , band aid style 'mod' , do not use platidip on a classy car like the 460 please
This is comical. .when done right you can't even tell and paid a fraction of the price.
Old 04-18-14, 09:39 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
This is comical. .when done right you can't even tell and paid a fraction of the price.
To each his own......show me any dipped car and I can point out a bunch of things that make it look "cheap" regardless how well it's done or how expensive it is. If you must dip, only do small items like emblems, maybe grill.....but not the car itself. Just my $.02
Old 04-18-14, 11:27 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark

To each his own......show me any dipped car and I can point out a bunch of things that make it look "cheap" regardless how well it's done or how expensive it is. If you must dip, only do small items like emblems, maybe grill.....but not the car itself. Just my $.02
I'm talkin grills specifically in my case..people think my grill came that way..I can see some issues with entire cars being dipped, but is that any worse than a bunch of paint chips, oxidation and other things that appear in a 7 year old car's finish for example? I have seen some pretty nice dipped cars, but it has to be done right or even non enthusiasts would be like..heyyyy
Old 04-18-14, 01:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
LOL. Are you serious?

So what you're saying is, I should remove the emblems, take them to a paint shop and spend hundreds of dollars to get the same effect.....because .....well....this is where I lose your logic.
It would cost you $20 to $30 in materials to paint your emblems properly.

Plasti dip is in the same category with twist ties, zip ties, knock off body kits and shocker stickers on the rear window.

I understand on cheap cars , as just a temporary fix , but keep it away from the high end vehicles.
Old 04-19-14, 05:30 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I'm talkin grills specifically in my case..people think my grill came that way..I can see some issues with entire cars being dipped, but is that any worse than a bunch of paint chips, oxidation and other things that appear in a 7 year old car's finish for example? I have seen some pretty nice dipped cars, but it has to be done right or even non enthusiasts would be like..heyyyy

Small stuff is OK.....still confused on how hard it is to paint emblems or even grills....done those many times myself unless you're only doing a temp thing.

As far as a full dip.....on a car "done right" open the door and look at the jams or open the hood and look at the line where the dip stops or even where the bumpers meet the fenders and that should tell you all you need to know about why I'm not a fan of dipping, but to each his/her own !!
Old 04-19-14, 07:10 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

As far as a full dip.....on a car "done right" open the door and look at the jams or open the hood and look at the line where the dip stops or even where the bumpers meet the fenders and that should tell you all you need to know about why I'm not a fan of dipping,
I didn't see one post here that talked about dipping an entire car, we're talking grills and emblems...."done right" was ALSO in reference to grills.
Old 04-19-14, 11:57 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO the black wheels on a silver body makes it look like you are running 4 spare tires - hardly an elegant look for this flagship.
Old 04-19-14, 03:20 PM
QB330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the car as is for now... But if you're gonna do it, wait until you have your money right. This is a Lexus, not a box Chevy, you've got a standard to uphold. Lol. Good luck.