LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Carista App Review - Ability To Change Lexus Personalized Settings

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 03:33 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LS460 Carista App Review - Ability To Change Lexus Personalized Settings

Hi all. I decided to try the Carista app after seeing Roadfrog's thread. It was worth the gamble seeing that I would probably get charged to change the Lexus Personalized Settings (LSP) at the dealership and that they told me they would not turn off the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) because of safety issues. I was considering the chinese Techstream kit on ebay but decided to go with the Carista app since I can get the ELM327 through Amazon and can buy the app immediately.

So here is the review of my experience. Please note that individual results may vary based on year of LS you have and hardware used. I also take no responsibility if something goes wrong.

Oh, and if all you may care about is if you can turn off the DRL, I will save you some reading time and confirm that YES you can turn the DRL off.

Test Subject:
2007 LS460 SWB

Hardware used:
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Software used:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rizmos.carista

Review:
Once the ELM327 came in the mail, I searched for where the OBD port was located on the LS (sorry, my mods are usually exterior. other than that, it's basically detailing and filling up gas for me). For those who may be like me, the OBD port is located towards the left side under the steering wheel and right above the break pedal. Once the port was found, I then plugged the ELM327 in and then downloaded the Carista app. I powered up the Carista app and it proceeded to search for the ELM327. It took about what felt like 30 seconds or so for the Carista app and ELM327 to talk to each other.

Okay, now down to what matters. The first screen gives you two options: Check Faults and Customize. This review is for the Customize options. The following is what you can change in the LSP (verbage is not exactly what was on the screen as I just jotted it down on paper):

Doors/Windows/Remote
- Turn signal blinks when locking/unlocking
- Warning when door can't be locked
- Panic button feature
- Trunk lid options
- Re-locking doors options if one does not open doors
- Unlocking options with remote and physical key
- Auto lock options when shifting from Park
- Locking features when shifting to Park
- Unlock option when opening driver door
- Locking door options when smart key is in car
- Starting car options (ability to start the car dependent on location of smart key in car)
- Opening/closing of windows/sunroof options with remote
- Auto arming of alarm options

Lights
- Daytime Running Lights DRL (on or off)
- Interior lights options (duration when unlocking)
- Automatic headlights activation threshold
- Seatbuckle lighting option
- Door handle and center console lighting options
- Puddle lights on side mirrors lighting options

Other
- Rear shade options

Going against the LSP pdf, the Carista app can change everything (and more) on the pdf except for the tilt steering wheel option. Here is the pdf for convenience sake:

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/LS_LPS.pdf

In order to make any changes to the LSP, you have to buy the pro version of the Carista app ($10). Once I purchased the pro version, I proceeded to change the settings of the LSP. I did not try to change all the features, just the ones I wanted to change (turn off DRL, unlocking all doors with one press, opening trunk with short press, and duration of puddle lights when unlocking). Since changing these worked like a charm, I am assuming there are no issues when changing the others).

Issues:
Only issue I had is that a "loss connectivity" message came up after trying each change in succession. The only fix to activate each change was to get out of the app and go back in to do each change seperately. I cannot confirm if this is the fault of the Carista app or the ELM327 Other than that, the Carista app did what I wanted it to do.

Final Thoughts:
Unless your dealership can change your LSP's for free, the Carista app is a great alternative. And even if the dealership does change LSP's for free, some are not willing to turn off your DRL (like what they told me over the phone) or will say that it is not possible to do it.

If you got this far, congratulations. Sorry for the long post but I think it is worth the read.
Old 04-07-14, 04:30 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Seems like a nice alternative to the Techstream. Seems like adding the pro version brings it to around the same price as Techstream without having to bring out a laptop to connect to the car.

I myself just bought and setup my Techstream, and the biggest pain was setting up an XP laptop. I have all mac's and windows 7 laptops, so it was easier to just set up the Xp one. Once setup though, it's nice to play around with the different options.
Old 04-07-14, 06:46 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

Darn it...... the only setting I would want to change is the tilt steering wheel option to stay where it's put when I get in and out of the car every day.

Oh well...........

Old 04-07-14, 06:52 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Darn it...... the only setting I would want to change is the tilt steering wheel option to stay where it's put when I get in and out of the car every day.

Oh well...........

me too. that was one of my wants also. i believe that constant moving parts/features are prone to wear and potentially break. that was one of the features i could have done without...
Old 04-08-14, 10:42 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the review! Btw, the setting to enable/disable the auto slide/tilt of the steering wheel is coming up in the next version of Carista (and will be a free update to existing users). Actually, I'll have a beta version available for you guys that includes that setting very soon - probably this week.

About the issue you ran into when changing settings: it's definitely NOT normal to have to back out of the app between changing settings (unless you're turning off the ignition or something). Please try it again and press the "Report problem" button when you see an error message. That will allow you to send me a log of what happened with the communication and I'll be able to diagnose it better (and make sure you include your email or at least forum name so I know who sent it). Thanks.
Old 04-08-14, 03:41 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How about the driver seat move back when engine shut off, like the newer model?
Old 04-08-14, 03:48 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lieup
How about the driver seat move back when engine shut off, like the newer model?
If your car supports that setting, the next version of Carista will allow you to enable or disable it (or set it to half-distance). But if the car doesn't have this function to begin with, then Carista can't do anything about that.
Old 04-13-14, 05:27 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Ok, we've just made a new beta-test version available for you guys to try! It includes the "easy exit" setting for the seat, but not for the steering wheel. We're still working on the steering wheel - it turns out it's more complicated than other settings. But we have added at least 20 new settings (not all applicable to the GS) and improved ECU support for diagnostics, so check it out

Get the beta here: http://www.caristaapp.com/beta/
Old 04-16-14, 05:30 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be nice if the app. allow you to adjust the air suspension height.
Old 04-16-14, 05:47 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Now this would be Awesome...adjust the air suspension? I don't think this could be done from the ODB port.
Old 06-12-14, 03:17 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

The new version is out! There are many new settings added, many of them related to the climate control system, displays, etc. Unfortunately, this version does not include the auto-tilt-away of the steering wheel because it turned out that the implementation of that setting is different from all the others. But it does include the auto-slide-back of the seat.

Check it out via in the link in my signature
Old 06-12-14, 05:30 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
The new version is out! There are many new settings added, many of them related to the climate control system, displays, etc. Unfortunately, this version does not include the auto-tilt-away of the steering wheel because it turned out that the implementation of that setting is different from all the others. But it does include the auto-slide-back of the seat. Check it out via in the link in my signature
Any update on an iOS/iPhone version of this app?
Old 06-13-14, 03:03 AM
Persocon
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

wow very good alternative to ebay techstream, as greg3852 said, it's getting a laptop that works with techstream is hard, I had to dig up an old one that has a bad battery so extension cord had to be pulled inside the car to power the old heavy laptop. This is a very fast and convenient way.
Old 06-13-14, 05:06 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tee
Any update on an iOS/iPhone version of this app?
The update is that we're about to start working on it now. We still need to do some more research and maybe even build a prototype before I can promise that we'll have an equivalent app for iOS. But so far it's looking good. Of course, it would have to use a WiFi device instead of Bluetooth, since Apple doesn't allow standard Bluetooth data communication. But still, it seems doable.

Originally Posted by Persocon
wow very good alternative to ebay techstream, as greg3852 said, it's getting a laptop that works with techstream is hard, I had to dig up an old one that has a bad battery so extension cord had to be pulled inside the car to power the old heavy laptop. This is a very fast and convenient way.
Old 06-13-14, 10:16 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

Oh, for the steering wheel tilt/extension on an iPhone device!

Quick Reply: LS460 Carista App Review - Ability To Change Lexus Personalized Settings