LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cost to own 2010 LS460 AWD vs 2014 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 11:27 AM
Mitty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to buy a car purely with your head, then nobody really NEEDS anything more than an Accord or Camry. Buy a loaded one of those and drive it for 10 years.....end of story.

Beyond the NEEDs, is WANT.

If you are shopping for something that you WANT, then don't try to take any half-measures.

I think a CPO LS is one of the best overall options out there when shopping for a "WANT" type of vehicle. You get the prestige, the looks, the power, but you also get the quality and piece of mind with the CPO. The heart gets the car it wants, and the CPO shuts the brain up from vetoing the purchase!
Old 04-14-14, 12:06 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitty
If you want to buy a car purely with your head, then nobody really NEEDS anything more than an Accord or Camry. Buy a loaded one of those and drive it for 10 years.....end of story.

Beyond the NEEDs, is WANT.

If you are shopping for something that you WANT, then don't try to take any half-measures.

I think a CPO LS is one of the best overall options out there when shopping for a "WANT" type of vehicle. You get the prestige, the looks, the power, but you also get the quality and piece of mind with the CPO. The heart gets the car it wants, and the CPO shuts the brain up from vetoing the purchase!
Great point, Mitty! I guess I'm just trying to justify in my head what I really WANT... It does seem that a CPO LS460 in the $40K range is a pretty great value for an amazing machine--and I imagine 3 years of driving one will permanently spoil me for every other car on the planet. The idea that I could drive one for 3 years with virtually no fear of abnormally high maintenance expense (due to the CPO) does appeal to my BRAIN side... Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-14-14, 05:33 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

I have a '08 ES350 (year doesn't matter) and never really paid attention to the LS because I thought it might be too similar. Recently, I test drove a 2014 GS350 and 2010 LS back to back. Ended up buying the LS and it is nothing like my ES. You should be able to pay less than $35K for a 2010 LS w/ 50 -60k miles. CPO might cost more though.
Old 04-14-14, 07:31 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Another wrinkle in my LS460 hunt. I had pretty much decided to go forward with the purchase of the 2010 AWD model in Kansas City (61K miles, CPO, $37,250). I decided to call the local Lexus dealer one last time to see if they had gotten any fresh trades. They hadn't, but when I told them I was heading for Kansas City tomorrow to buy the 2010, they decided to drop the price of a 2011 AWD LS460 from $48K to $40K (supposedly to keep my business in town).

This suddenly made the local (Omaha) deal pretty attractive. The car is Deep Sea Mica (which will be tough to keep clean) with a black interior, so not my first color choice, but it only has 33K miles and is a 1-owner vehicle bought, serviced, and traded in locally. It's basically a year newer with half the miles for an additional $3K.

I did notice that it didn't have the button on the console to adjust the suspension height -- does that mean it does not have the Air Suspension package? I think that came standard on the 2010 AWDs -- did it become an option on the 2011s? If so, and the car doesn't have it, should I be concerned? Or perhaps happy in some ways, since it's one less thing to break over time (and I've heard the air suspension repairs can get pretty pricey)? What's the general consensus on whether the air ride is a must-have or not?

I'm going to go take the local 2011 LS for a test drive over lunch tomorrow. If everything looks good, that's probably the route I'll take. The deal seems too good to pass up...

Any opinions from the forum on whether that's a good deal? Thoughts on the possible lack of the air suspension system? Thanks!
Old 04-14-14, 09:13 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by riknchar
Another wrinkle in my LS460 hunt. I had pretty much decided to go forward with the purchase of the 2010 AWD model in Kansas City (61K miles, CPO, $37,250). I decided to call the local Lexus dealer one last time to see if they had gotten any fresh trades. They hadn't, but when I told them I was heading for Kansas City tomorrow to buy the 2010, they decided to drop the price of a 2011 AWD LS460 from $48K to $40K (supposedly to keep my business in town).

This suddenly made the local (Omaha) deal pretty attractive. The car is Deep Sea Mica (which will be tough to keep clean) with a black interior, so not my first color choice, but it only has 33K miles and is a 1-owner vehicle bought, serviced, and traded in locally. It's basically a year newer with half the miles for an additional $3K.

I did notice that it didn't have the button on the console to adjust the suspension height -- does that mean it does not have the Air Suspension package? I think that came standard on the 2010 AWDs -- did it become an option on the 2011s? If so, and the car doesn't have it, should I be concerned? Or perhaps happy in some ways, since it's one less thing to break over time (and I've heard the air suspension repairs can get pretty pricey)? What's the general consensus on whether the air ride is a must-have or not?

I'm going to go take the local 2011 LS for a test drive over lunch tomorrow. If everything looks good, that's probably the route I'll take. The deal seems too good to pass up...

Any opinions from the forum on whether that's a good deal? Thoughts on the possible lack of the air suspension system? Thanks!
I just recently paid $40k for 2010 w/15k, rwd, swb, non-ML.
Old 04-17-14, 09:30 AM
Mitty
Rookie

Originally Posted by riknchar

In 2011, the air suspension became an OPTION on the AWD LS....not standard like it did in 2010. I have a 2011 AWD without the A/S and that's what I wanted. My car is also lacking the ML system, which I didn't want to do without, but when you go used (CPO in my case) you can't always dictate what you get. I love the car. Good luck.
Old 04-18-14, 05:40 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Thanks to everyone who provided advice! I pulled the trigger last night on the 2011 at the local Lexus of Omaha dealership. The car is AWD, but does not have the air ride suspension (you were right about it being an option in 2011, Mitty). After a lot of research, I'm totally fine without the Air Ride.

The Lexus dealer did an outstanding job of detailing the car and preparing it for delivery. It really did look brand new!

After driving it for less than one day, all I can say is WHAT AN AUTOMOBILIE!!! I really feel pampered by its size, smoothness, refinement, and overall luxury.

My only complaint on this particular CPO is that, at 33,000 miles, it really could use a fresh set of tires. The Lexus dealer checked the tread depth and found it at 7/32. They said the threshold for replacement is 5/32, and for the price they were giving me, could not replace the tires before delivery. Oh well, I'm sure the stock tires will get me through the summer just fine. I've heard good things about the Michelin Primacy MXM4s, so that may be my Fall purchase to prepare for winter.

Thanks again for everyone on this forum! I've learned so much by reading the posts, and I feel like I'm now a "permanent" Lexus guy.
Old 04-18-14, 06:23 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Good deal - it's amazing how much profit there is in used cars (unlike new cars) for them to be able to lower the price that much just to "keep your business in town" and still make money on the deal! The dark blue looks very regal on a big car like the LS460 and the black interior is easier to keep clean and re-dye when the seats get creased, cracked and dirty (which Lexus/Toyota leather does after a few years).
Old 04-18-14, 08:25 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Good deal - it's amazing how much profit there is in used cars (unlike new cars) for them to be able to lower the price that much just to "keep your business in town" and still make money on the deal! The dark blue looks very regal on a big car like the LS460 and the black interior is easier to keep clean and re-dye when the seats get creased, cracked and dirty (which Lexus/Toyota leather does after a few years).
So true! I really was shocked when the local Lexus guys dropped their price by $7K. There is definitely plenty of negotiating room on used Lexus cars -- the key is to find two different (but perfectly acceptable) cars at two different Lexus dealers, then stand back and let the competition begin...

I really prefer the look of the light colored seats. I have the Ecru color in my '09 SC430, and it looks great (only 12K miles on the car, so still basically brand new). However, I've recently had some serious dye transfer problems from blue jeans and black wool coats, and so I completely agree that the Black interior is the way to go for long-term looks/durability. I'll have to be super-careful in my SC, but not as much so in my LS. The blue exterior really does look more "regal" on the LS460, doesn't it? Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-20-14, 02:14 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this thread late. Glad you went with the LS. I went from Toyota Avalon (similar to an ES in my opinion) to a 2010 LS 460 L. Man what a difference. I've had my LS for about a year and a half. I don't think I will ever own another car. I may trade in he future for a newer one, but nothing else compares. I'm already trying to figure out how I can get all 3 of my children into Lexus and they are only 12, 7, and 7. It's either that or a Mustang to drive my wife nuts. She cannot stand American muscle cars, especially a Mustangs. Again, glad you chose the LS. I cannot imagine you being disappointed.