LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: What would you do about this?
Live with it
40.00%
Contact NHTSA
30.00%
Sue
10.00%
Sell the car and never buy Lexus again
20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus: How to Avoid Fixing Design Flaws

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 05:03 PM
SerentyNow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the suggestion from DaveGS64 is the most constructive reply on the issue of finding a place to try to reproduce the skid and is worth further investigation. The most daunting aspect of this would be reproducing the area of slickness and the exact speed assuming, that is, that one of the tracks in question would allow me to "tamper" with the road surface. My hope was that Lexus would want to do this as, I assume, they have far more experience in this type of testing and more liability from accidents. Were I to sink time and money into this effort and proved my case I would expect to be reimbursed. And there is the possibility that I could not exactly duplicate the conditions. Is it worth a try? Perhaps. The video of such a test ought to be more of an incentive to Lexus. I will mull this over. Having said this it is also worth acknowledging that the inverse is sometimes true and yet, I would have hoped my detailed description of events would convince people that the event created what might be called slow motion awareness. It, for some, may still not provide the hard evidence I, too, would like to have but not everyone has a CSI forensics unit following them.

Now replying to the comments of Nospinzone: The idea to use soapy water was simply a way to reproduce a slick surface that could easily be cleaned up when putting oil on the ground would be frowned upon. And I do think the track rental is better than a parking lot at 7 AM. I really don't want to be arrested, even for a misdemeanor. As to inflation, one of the display modes shows inflation pressure so, yes, I am sure. And, for what it is worth no Lexus representative has suggested this might be an issue.

Regarding the question, how do you know what direction the wheels are facing that is simple: As long as the car is not on a slick surface and the tires, themselves, are not slick the car will go where the wheels are pointed. In this instance the car continued to drift into the outer lane BUT readily returned to the right most lane when the wheel was turned sharply to the right. If the road, or the tires, were still slick then turning the wheel to the right would not have abated the cars movement to the left.

The downhill roll is an issue not because the Lexus does it but because it does it so much faster than any of the many cars I have owned or rented. This is what makes it dangerous. I can not really speak to the issue of why other cars do not roll so freely downhill while in reverse. I suppose I could test, and video other cars to prove the point. But how much work Should I have to do, on my own, to show my concerns are legitimate.
Old 05-19-14, 07:13 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SerentyNow
As long as the car is not on a slick surface and the tires, themselves, are not slick the car will go where the wheels are pointed.
And this is where the laws of physics and you take a split in the road.
Old 05-19-14, 07:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
And this is where the laws of physics and you take a split in the road.
LOL. No kidding. WOW.
Old 05-19-14, 07:40 AM
lexgolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SerentyNow
The downhill roll is an issue not because the Lexus does it but because it does it so much faster than any of the many cars I have owned or rented. This is what makes it dangerous. I can not really speak to the issue of why other cars do not roll so freely downhill while in reverse. I suppose I could test, and video other cars to prove the point. But how much work Should I have to do, on my own, to show my concerns are legitimate.
Let's face it.

You have a car that you feel is:
1: Unsafe
2: The manufacturer does not care about your complaints
3: No one else has seen this phantom problem
4: No one is empathizing with you

I have a suggestion:

SELL THE CAR!