LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

...yet another TPMS problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14 | 11:35 PM
Defender25
Driver School Candidate

Default ...yet another TPMS problem...

Good morning everybody

I have purchased a 2010/140'000km LS460 last week, which is my first Lexus; so I am new to the forum and to the Lexus community. Even though the car is just gorgeous, I already have an issue with the TMPS. The (non certified dealer) I have purchased the car from does not (want to) know anything about tfixing the Lexus. So I hope to be able to find some hints in this forum....

The problem is as follows: I have two sets of original Lexus wheels and both sets are recognised ok by the system. I manage to reset the TMPS, but evrytime I do the procedure the system works ok for about 20 Minutes / 15 km till the warning is coming up. The warning starts with a first flashing and then solid TMPS warning in the dash board and a solid exclamation mark. The tire presure is ok and the difference in temprature only minimal.

Any hints are highly appreciated.

Best regards
Phil
Old 08-06-14 | 04:54 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Does it do the same with both sets of wheels?
Old 08-06-14 | 05:20 AM
jmcraney

Lots of possibilities. First of all you said "I have two sets of original Lexus wheels and both sets are recognized ok by the system." The TPMS in the LS460s can only recognize 5 sensors - typically 4 on the ground and a spare - and all 5 must report to avoid an alarm condition. If you have some of the registered sensors on wheels that are not mounted on the car but are in close proximity to the car when it is started they will be recognized but will become "non-reporting" sensors when you depart from the area of the unmounted wheels. Your problem seems to be one or more non-reporting sensors. Cause of non-reporting sensors range from unregistered sensors, to defective sensors.

Last edited by jmcraney; 08-07-14 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-06-14 | 07:08 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I have a set of summers and winters for a total of 9 sensors (8 plus spare tire). As jmcraney stated, the LS can only recognize 5 sensors in it's system. So what I did, is take my car to a reputable tire shop nearby and they added TPMS's to my system by copying the same codes from the existing ones. Now my car thinks its the same wheels on the car regardless of which ones are mounted. I think I paid 350 dollars for the new sensors and coding. You can also purchase these kits from Ebay and come with the coder.
Old 08-06-14 | 09:31 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

You need to go to the tire shop and have your current set on the car programmed into the car ecu. It works at first if your other wheel set is near your car at startup..as you leave the house, it's looking for the set in the garage. The tire shop should of done that for free like many do. I don't even buy my tires from my shop but they mount and balance snd and do tpms swap no prob. Takes literally 3 minutes to do. We have no A/B switch like other lexus vehicles. Search on my username and TPMS and you'll see a ton of info on this topic and things you can do yourself with a special tool or custom cloned sensors
Old 08-06-14 | 09:34 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I have a set of summers and winters for a total of 9 sensors (8 plus spare tire). As jmcraney stated, the LS can only recognize 5 sensors in it's system. So what I did, is take my car to a reputable tire shop nearby and they added TPMS's to my system by copying the same codes from the existing ones. Now my car thinks its the same wheels on the car regardless of which ones are mounted. I think I paid 350 dollars for the new sensors and coding. You can also purchase these kits from Ebay and come with the coder.
Yup..Roadfrogs solution of cloned sensors is the best..but my shop does it for free so I couldn't justify the cost when I can get a set of 4 oem sensors for $70 shipped. I bought my ATEQ to do swaps at home if I have a pop up road trip and want to avoid loading my car with oems over to tire shop..I flash system in garage.
Old 08-06-14 | 09:40 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Lots of possibilities. First of all you said "I have two sets of original Lexus wheels and both sets are recognized ok by the system." The TPMS in the LS460s can only recognize 5 sensors - typically 4 on the ground and a spare - and all 5 must report to avoid an alarm condition. If you have some of the registered sensors on wheels that are not mounted on the car but are in close proximity to the car when it is started they will be recognized but will become "non-reporting" sensors when you depart from the area of the unmounted wheels. Your problem seems to be one or more non-reporting sensors. Cause or non-reporting sensors range from unregistered sensors, to defective sensors.
Yup..well stated
Old 08-07-14 | 03:56 AM
Defender25
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks for the hints!

You were right; the car did synchornice with the set of tires I have stored next to the garage where I park the car; did not know the signal does go that far.....
You may not be rigjht though with regards to the foc service for the TMPS swap; nothing seems to be for free in Switzerland ;-(
Old 08-07-14 | 01:14 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Defender25
Many thanks for the hints!

You were right; the car did synchornice with the set of tires I have stored next to the garage where I park the car; did not know the signal does go that far.....
You may not be rigjht though with regards to the foc service for the TMPS swap; nothing seems to be for free in Switzerland ;-(
I believe the $25 Techstream software on ebay will allow you to program sensors IIRC I have seen the screen and the part where you can enter in the TPMS IDs into the ECU. Didn't actually do it though, so not 100% sure
Old 08-11-14 | 12:54 PM
Defender25
Driver School Candidate

How can I reset the initialisation of the TPMS reset; Connecting Cg (pin 4 of the dlc3) with TC (pin 13) for 30" does not solve the problem....

Last edited by Defender25; 08-11-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-13-14 | 06:25 AM
Defender25
Driver School Candidate

In case the ID registration would fail due to a communication error with the ECU while in init mode, what would solve that problem in case connecting TC with CG does not help?