LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brk Accumulator/Actuator and GPS ALL FAIL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 02:42 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Riick
I'm looking hard at buying an '07 460, and wondering
HOW COMMON is the brake accumulator problem?

Common enough to steel myself for it happening before 100k miles,
or, sporadic, some people have the problem, some don't/
If you are talking about failure, it is not common. if it you are talking about noise, it is common. I have experienced it in every other 460 I drove/owned.
Old 03-09-16, 03:36 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I always wondered about the commonality of reported problems on user forums. While there is no sure-fire way to know for sure, there is some estimating that can be done. Of course, just bear in mind that any data you pull will in now way will be representative, but it might give you a ballpark, well, more like city park.

1. Search for the problem and see how many different users have reported it here.
2. Determine, the best you can over that same span of reported problems, the amount of overall users or owners.
3. Ratio and determine the percentage of those who experienced it versus those that have not.

The caveat to all of this is how many people here have not reported it? We assume all users here would indicate that they experienced it, but that isn't always the case. How many people out there that have the problem but aren't even registered here. A lot I'm sure. Conversely, how many users out there have not reported and aren't registered here? Even more probably. The other issue is mileage and age of vehicle per user. Like me, I would skew the numbers as my car is new, but you could technically count me as a user that has not reported it.

In any case, just an interesting thought. Good luck and for the record, I have not experienced it.
I wonder the same things too...like are these problems here, or are they prevelant everywhere? Google helps a little...Google the problem and if the only findings you come up with is a thread on clublexus, it's probably not as big a deal as some make it out to be.
Old 03-09-16, 04:40 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine was replaced at 25,000 miles. Also my ML amp at the same time. Looking at my records I figure with the Valve recall and front window glass upgrades etc. Lexus paid out at least 10 to 12k in claims under the original warranty on this 2007. When a new model came out of the box like this me and the rest of the techs would not be happy to say the least. Volvo did this to us a couple times. At least Lexus stepped up and fixed them. Mercedes, Audi, VW and BMW usually cant even fix them or just strokes you till you give up. How any of those companies are still in business is really a surprise to me.
Old 03-10-16, 06:24 AM
gte819s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
If you are talking about failure, it is not common. if it you are talking about noise, it is common. I have experienced it in every other 460 I drove/owned.
Whats the difference between failure and noise. I thought the noise was the symptom of eventual failure.
Old 03-10-16, 05:03 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the noise is just endemic of the actuator and mutually-exclusive of any potential failure. Well, I guess it depends on the noise.

The noise we are talking about is a "clicking" upon the depression of the brake pedal. Turn your radio off, go five MPH then press the brake and let us know if you hear it. That noise, we presume, is just a natural part of the car's braking system. We have theories on what it may be, but no one knows for sure. It's very subtle and can be easily missed, but once you hear it you will always hear it lol, unless you drown it out with the radio. It becomes transparent at higher speeds due to road noise, that's how low it is for me at least.

If it's a different noise, then no idea.
Old 03-10-16, 07:38 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gte819s
Whats the difference between failure and noise. I thought the noise was the symptom of eventual failure.
With failure you will get lights and messages to take the car to the dealer immediately. I had the noise in two cars, they get to be very annoying but again not a safety issue until the actuator fail and lights come on then safety is a risk.

Again, you can always ignore the noise, turn the radio on or whatever... If this is acceptable to you for the investment you made, then as long you don't see lights in the dash then you are probably ok.

Last edited by hfahmy; 03-10-16 at 07:47 PM.