LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Navigation problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 08:02 AM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Navigation problem

My 2007 LS460 navigation system has lost its mind. Is there any way to reboot it or go back to default? I had it updated about a month ago and it was fine. Then all of a sudden its giving me false information/location. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-14, 05:12 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How false is the information?

If you're just "a little off" there's a way to calibrate the location of the car on the map. I saw it this AM - I think it's one of the last options on the 3rd screen for natigation settings.

If the error is large, does it act up no matter your location, or is it confined to a specific area?

To me (and I'm a newbie in this area), localized errors are a problem with the GPS signal i.e. interference.

If the problem is wide-spread, then maybe there's something amiss with the GPS antenna or the Navi system itself.

Since you updated just a month ago - I'd involve Lexus in this problem - even Navigation updates are warrantied for 12/12000.
Old 09-30-14, 06:32 AM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

wbrian63,

I think your advice is very good.

hms09,

I think your car is not receiving the GPS signal and is operating in the DR mode. Lots of possibilities for causes. There is a direct indication on your nav screen to show when the GPS signal is being received. You need to check and let us know if you are receiving the GPS signal.

Here are some links to threads that might be helpful:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-problem.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-jammers.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-2012-ls.html
Old 09-30-14, 07:15 AM
hms09
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies. I cannot seem to find Any indicator that tells me if I'm getting a signal.

Here's whats happening. It seems to be " stuck" on a location in Florida. I went thru this area last week. But when returning to South Carolina its still giving me streets in Madison,FL. The red arrow moves and the street names change as I move about but incorrect. Hope this helps. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-14, 08:27 AM
jmcraney

I don't think you are receiving the GPS signals. You should try disconnecting all devices such as radar detectors, phone chargers etc. and turn your personal devices like cell phones and laptop computers off.
Old 09-30-14, 08:28 AM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

IS your NAV in the right region? you need to make sure that your NAV is in the right region. I believe SC and FL are in different database. Not sure that this will fix the problem but one thing to get out of the way
Old 09-30-14, 11:27 AM
hms09
Pole Position

All of a sudden my Nav unit is working correctly. Guess I'll never know what happened. But now I have the Ggarmin in the console in case of another failure. Just can't trust it anymore.

Trending Topics

Old 09-30-14, 12:22 PM
jmcraney

Glad your system is working again. Here are pictures of the GPS status indicator for locked and unlocked in case you need them for future reference.

Old 09-30-14, 02:17 PM
hms09
Pole Position

Thanks JM. But I'm afraid I do not know the meaning of locked and unlocked. Can you explain?
Old 09-30-14, 02:49 PM
jmcraney

Locked is the desirable state, meaning that your nav system is receiving signals from 3 or 4 satellites in the GPS constellation, and is able to calculate your position accurately.

Unlocked is the undesirable state, meaning that your nav system is not able to determine your position because it is not receiving signals from enough satellites. The system may not be able to lock because the satellite signals are eclipsed by terrain or terrestrial objects. Or, it may not be able to lock because other signals are interfering with the GPS signals. Or, it may not be able to lock because the antenna or receiver in your car broken.

When the nav system is unlocked, present position is calculated from the last good GPS position by using the car's magnetic compass, for direction of travel and distance traveled, measured from wheel rotations. This is called Dead Reckoning navigation and position accuracy deteriorates with time because of compass accuracy and variations in tire diameter.

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-30-14 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 06:11 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you buy this car used? If it has Locked up, turn the car off, turn it back on and see if it fixes the problem.

Is it possible it has a Prestigious society bypass? By clicking --++ on the steering wheel volume, this would hang up the GPS at exactly that position you are in.

IF it locks up again while driving, press the SETUP button. If you can use all the functions in setup, WHILE driving, then you have PS Bypass and it is locking your GPS because you were adjusting the radio and clicked --++ on the steering wheel volume.

Just a suggestion!