LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls 460 cabin filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 08:14 AM
SUL4589
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls 460 cabin filter

I had my local shop change my cabin filter and guess what.
Trouble with my Auto mode on my climate control. The recirculation /fresh air door had come loose.
Not broken as I have read on the forum. The pin that connects the servo motor to the arm had popped out. The mechanic was able to reconnect the arm with out a major tear down. This is just a heads up for anyone else that may have this happen to them. No huge bill from Lexus
Old 10-02-14, 12:11 PM
Dryrunner
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That happened to me 2 weeks ago while I was changing the filter. I haven't fixed it yet, but it doesn't look hard.
Old 10-02-14, 02:52 PM
SUL4589
Driver School Candidate

It's not it will take 2 people one to hold the door open (in the max open position) and one under the dash to reconnect the arm to the door. Took us about 45 minutes to get it done. My system works fine now
Old 10-02-14, 04:50 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LS Cabin Filter

Why do you allow someone else to do it? It is one of the simplest tasks you can perform. Place air control in the recirculate mode, ignition switch in accessory position, open door inside glove box, slide out old filter, slide in new filter. Good for another year or so.
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (10-10-20)
Old 10-02-14, 04:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 421 Likes on 325 Posts

Thanks for posting that Sul. It sounds like that is a different issue than what happens when someone tries to change the filter when not in the recirc mode. It is good to know you don't have to remove the dash!
Old 10-04-14, 05:42 PM
SUL4589
Driver School Candidate

Default A/C Door that breaks

So as a caution mode I ordered a replacement door for my 2008 LS460. This is the one that brakes when you don't follow the cabin air filter replacement instructions. I got lucky and nothing broke.
I am now the proud new owner of a door. If anyone out there needs one I have $36.00 in one and will sell this one. Just let me know. kcsully@csteldridge.com
Old 04-13-18, 07:22 AM
rogersmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really handy. I have a collection of tools that would make the average mechanic blush. I have replaced struts, brakes, tie rods, and a whole host of other things on my F150.

I would let Lexus change the cabin filter.

The tabs on the shelf, the filter compartment cover, and on the tray holding the filter are very flimsy. The glove box is dark, and black, and difficult to see into. There isn't a lot of room to get your hands in there.

Plus, the supposed OEM filters on Ebay are garbage compared to the ones that Lexus sells.

Add the possibility of screwing up the door, and having to mess around under the dash, it pays for you to let Lexus handle the whole thing.

The couple of bucks I saved trying to do it myself were far exceeded by the cost of replacing the shelf and the filter tray. And I'm hoping I didn't mess up the door.

Never again.
Old 04-15-18, 03:39 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Do it yourself. Very easy. Plus it's the only time I get to sit in the passenger seat. Get a filter with activated carbon. Really helps if you have a commute with a lot of smog. Found some good ones on Amazon.
Old 04-15-18, 04:42 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

"IF" you feel comfortable changing a roll of toilet paper, YOU can do this simple cabin filter change! ..... See post #4 for instructions. Simple 10 minute job doing it the first time then it’s 5 minutes to do the second time.

BTW! Changing the seat filters is a EZ to do task also.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18, 06:15 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersmith
I am really handy. I have a collection of tools that would make the average mechanic blush. I have replaced struts, brakes, tie rods, and a whole host of other things on my F150.

I would let Lexus change the cabin filter.

The tabs on the shelf, the filter compartment cover, and on the tray holding the filter are very flimsy. The glove box is dark, and black, and difficult to see into. There isn't a lot of room to get your hands in there.

Plus, the supposed OEM filters on Ebay are garbage compared to the ones that Lexus sells.

Add the possibility of screwing up the door, and having to mess around under the dash, it pays for you to let Lexus handle the whole thing.

The couple of bucks I saved trying to do it myself were far exceeded by the cost of replacing the shelf and the filter tray. And I'm hoping I didn't mess up the door.

Never again.
Change your own filter. Follow the instructions and take your time.
Old 04-16-18, 02:20 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
Why do you allow someone else to do it? It is one of the simplest tasks you can perform. Place air control in the recirculate mode, ignition switch in accessory position, open door inside glove box, slide out old filter, slide in new filter. Good for another year or so.
EXACTLY. If you set it on recirculate mode the door opens for you. It's when you force it open you have issues. If you place it in recirculate mode and the door DOES NOT OPEN you already have an issue. Swapping the filter is so easy a kid could do it and it takes all of 2 min to swap.

When I got the car, it had the issue (I didn't notice it till the 30 day warranty was up) when left in auto, every time the car started it would be at 75 with A/C off (someone changed the filter with out changing the mode). It's fairly easy to fix, it looks a lot worse than it actually is. There is thread about "tighten the glove box". They show pictures step by step how to get the glove box off (and you can access the switch). It takes about an hour to 2 to do. The process of popping it back on takes all of about 3 seconds but, getting to that point is a different story.

Just avoid it of possible, don't let a 3rd party change your filter, as long as you know what is going on.

Here is the thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tment-diy.html

And if your glove box is hanging a little low, you can kill 2 birds with one stone !
Old 04-17-18, 04:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

LOL. Yeah.... this is literally the easiest maintenance item to diy on the car. Heck....it's even easier than replacing the wiper blades.

As for Ebay filter quality? We're talking about filtering HVAC air. Hardly a concern. I'll continue to pay my 2 dollars for a "crap Chinese filter" that probably is the same filter on the same assembly line in China that gets a "Fram" sticker slapped on it.
Old 04-17-18, 05:09 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SUL4589
I had my local shop change my cabin filter and guess what.
Trouble with my Auto mode on my climate control. The recirculation /fresh air door had come loose.
Not broken as I have read on the forum. The pin that connects the servo motor to the arm had popped out. The mechanic was able to reconnect the arm with out a major tear down. This is just a heads up for anyone else that may have this happen to them. No huge bill from Lexus
Toyota dealer broke mine
Old 04-17-18, 05:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Some have put a sticker on the assembly that says, "place HVAC in recirc"
Old 04-18-18, 12:51 PM
kingbabar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've looked at this over and over but not quite clear on the instructions still.

Instructions say to put it on recirculate before starting. I see that, but when you start then the door is closed to the filter. Are you supposed to remove the cover and then lift that door up to reach in for the filter?
Or are you supposed to then put it in recirculate and once you remove the first cover, do you then put it in open air mode to lift the door?

Thanks! *confused*

Quick Reply: Ls 460 cabin filter