LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Transfer Case Oil Change $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 01:02 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by wayman28
Thanks JiffyPop. I'd be very interested in the results of your fluid change. From what I hear the procedure is a little trickier than one would expect because there's no dipstick and the only fill hole is vertical (as opposed to on the bottom or top of the transfer case) so you'll have to get creative with how to "pump" the fluid in. I'd be curious about the procedure you end up using.

Besides the crazy cost of the Toyota fluid, the main issues are:

1) Since Lexus seems to have reformulated the fluid to solve this shudder, will an "equivalent" aftermarket fluid solve the issue at all?

2) Will the fluid change procedure fix the shudder permanently or just temporarily? My Lexus tech said the underlying issue is the way the transfer case was built. The reformulated fluid definitely fixes the issue in the short-term but the shudder returns after about a year so it's not really worth the expense to do the procedure.

I guess if we discover a fluid change with a cheaper equivalent fluid makes the shudder go away even temporarily then it's much more feasible to do that annually versus paying $150/liter with Lexus.

Looking forward to see how things go with your fluid change when it gets warmer out.

These are $8 at harbor freight and Walmart. I've used them several times to fill all sorts of transfer cases, rear ends and transmissions.
Old 01-09-15, 03:34 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase

These are $8 at harbor freight and Walmart. I've used them several times to fill all sorts of transfer cases, rear ends and transmissions.
Thanks Doublebase. What's the name of the product? I'm having a hard time reading the pic.
Old 01-09-15, 03:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Transfer pump
Pittsburgh Automotive - item#66418
Old 01-11-15, 06:58 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

My 2010 600hL has this "magic" fluid from the factory. It exhibits no shudder when turning, so I would lean to conclude that the fix is permanent, since my car has been running with this fluid for over four years.

In terms of paying for this, I would at least ask Lexus corporate for assistance. They may say yes to paying for it all, they may say no, or they may offer to pay for labor or for the oil. There is nothing to lose for asking, especially since this is a known issue (i.e., they did change the factory fluid), and the price tag is so high.
Old 01-11-15, 07:07 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by caha14
My 2010 600hL has this "magic" fluid from the factory. It exhibits no shudder when turning, so I would lean to conclude that the fix is permanent, since my car has been running with this fluid for over four years.

In terms of paying for this, I would at least ask Lexus corporate for assistance. They may say yes to paying for it all, they may say no, or they may offer to pay for labor or for the oil. There is nothing to lose for asking, especially since this is a known issue (i.e., they did change the factory fluid), and the price tag is so high.
Caha14, just so I'm clear can you confirm that you previously had the shudder problem and went through the TSB procedure to fix it?
Old 01-11-15, 07:17 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by wayman28
Caha14, just so I'm clear can you confirm that you previously had the shudder problem and went through the TSB procedure to fix it?
No TSIB for my car; my VIN is past the cutoff in the TSIB, and thus, as I said, my car came with this new fluid from the factory, and there is no shudder when turning.
Old 01-12-15, 10:17 AM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I suggest that you search the forum, there are couple of members who had this fix done way before I had it on 04/14, they advised me during my purchase process to make sure that this is done. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ease-help.html

Therefore I second that this is permanent fix.
Old 01-12-15, 05:21 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Well said.

This is a know problem on certain Toyotas and Lexus lines. As I said earlier, no ebay or amazon fluids going to fix this issue. Secondly I wouldn't trust some mechanic's statement. One way to confirm this is to call Lexus 1-800. They will transfer to second level support to answer technical questions. Toyota would not have have issued a TSB with fix if that were to be a temporary fix. This oil/fluid suppose to have been delivered to dealerships in drums and not in retail 1 quart cans/bottles.
Old 01-12-15, 07:47 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

No TSIB for my car; my VIN is past the cutoff in the TSIB, and thus, as I said, my car came with this new fluid from the factory, and there is no shudder when turning.
I think the underlying issue is the transfer case itself. Since you never had the shudder problem you probably had a "clean" transfer case. I'm not sure the rest of us who have the shuddering can conclude that the new fluid works permanently based on your experience. Thanks for sharing though.
Old 01-12-15, 07:53 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by satiger
Well said.

This is a know problem on certain Toyotas and Lexus lines. As I said earlier, no ebay or amazon fluids going to fix this issue. Secondly I wouldn't trust some mechanic's statement. One way to confirm this is to call Lexus 1-800. They will transfer to second level support to answer technical questions. Toyota would not have have issued a TSB with fix if that were to be a temporary fix. This oil/fluid suppose to have been delivered to dealerships in drums and not in retail 1 quart cans/bottles.
I understand what you're saying but it wasn't some random mechanic. It was a Lexus dealer tech who had done good work on my car before. According to him he had personally done the TSB procedure a few times and in all cases the shudder came back after about a year. He said he would do it for me if I wanted but his opinion was that it was a waste of money since it's so expensive. Seemed like balanced advice to me.

That said I'll try calling Lexus too. I didnt realize they had a tech support line. What's the number?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-15, 03:31 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I used regular Lexus customer support line. When I had a technical question, they transferred me to second level support.

Personally I would ask that mechanic whether he used specially formulated bulk oil from Toyota or the ones from regular cans during his TSB services. Secondly what did he tell to those customers who according to him returned with the same issue after year or so?. Same TSB one more time, ask them to contact Lexus.....?.
Old 01-13-15, 11:41 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by satiger
I used regular Lexus customer support line. When I had a technical question, they transferred me to second level support.

Personally I would ask that mechanic whether he used specially formulated bulk oil from Toyota or the ones from regular cans during his TSB services. Secondly what did he tell to those customers who according to him returned with the same issue after year or so?. Same TSB one more time, ask them to contact Lexus.....?.
I have no idea what he told them but I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant conversation which is probably partly why he is warning me ahead of time.

I would imagine the mechanic used the fluid that's designated in the TSB. The TSB shows the part number for the old fluid and the part number for the new fluid so it's very clear that they should use the new fluid for the procedure.