LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2015 ls ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Since you brought up Car & Driver. Even Car & Driver doesn't consider the LS a competitor to the RLX, here is their page on the RLX:

http://www.caranddriver.com/acura/rlx

Scroll down to where they plot out the competition, you will find the GS, as well as the A6, E Class, 5 Series, XF, Genesis, etc. Guess where it comes in even compared to these cars? 9th out of 13.

Certainly not a competitor to the LS.
Old 10-29-15, 12:51 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Since you brought up Car & Driver. Even Car & Driver doesn't consider the LS a competitor to the RLX, here is their page on the RLX:

http://www.caranddriver.com/acura/rlx

Scroll down to where they plot out the competition, you will find the GS, as well as the A6, E Class, 5 Series, XF, Genesis, etc. Guess where it comes in even compared to these cars? 9th out of 13.

Certainly not a competitor to the LS.
Re-read ur link. We are discussing the Rlx Sport Hybrid. That Kia Sedona must be clouding your judgement. Enjoy:
http://m.leftlanenews.com/acura-rlx-...ve-review.html

Last edited by superdenso; 10-29-15 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-29-15, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Sport Hybrid makes no difference, its still the same car with all the same differences I outlined above. The GS450H is $70,000, does that mean it competes with the LS and 7 Series and S Class? No.

The review you posted lays it out:

As the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD (short for Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive) is based on the front-wheel drive RLX, it should come as no surprise that the two models are styled almost exactly the same
When they discuss competitors:

leftlane's bottom line

After being somewhat let down by the RLX P-AWS, we're happy to report that the RLX Sport Hybrid is much more befitting of Acura's flagship tag. Though most of the amenities from the RLX P-AWS' carryover, the hybrid system - which manages to improve both efficiency and overall performance - transforms the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD into something that feels more special.

We're not sure if the market is quite ready for a $65,000 Acura sedan, but the RLX Sport Hybrid is definitely worth a look if you're considering more expensive option like the Lexus GS 450h or the BMW Active Hybrid5.
Again....like the Lexus GS 450h or the BMW Active Hybrid5. No mention of the LS or any other RWD flagship car in this article at all, because the RLX, Sport Hybrid or not does not compete with these vehicles. It doesn't mean the RLX is not a worthwhile car, its just not to that level or in that category.

How about this, LS folks, who else has driven an RLX and thinks its comparable to the LS?

If you have driven an RLX and don't see the difference between it and an LS, then the LS is wasted on you and you should buy an RLX and save some money.

As for the Kia Sedona...again...drive one and drive all the other minivans and tell me why one of the other vans is a better van than the Kia. Why you have to try to make this so personal is beyond me.
Old 10-29-15, 12:29 PM
superdenso
Instructor

The RLX IS A HYbrid AWD platform at a discount. Can you think of another company with a hybrid AWD car that runs 0 to 60 in about 5.3. Go spend some time in an s-class and you learn what a std lux saloon is. Sedona is a good car, have at it.
Old 10-29-15, 01:06 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

About the Kia Sedona - I worked for Hyundai / Kia for 7 years in design. I worked for 5 years for Toyota in design. I know A LOT about what goes on with the Korean automaker and the Japanese automaker. Below is a comprehensive list regarding all the great attributes of the Sedona. The list below can be carried over to most of the vehicles produced by Hyundai / Kia.

7milesout
Old 10-29-15, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superdenso
The RLX IS A HYbrid AWD platform at a discount. Can you think of another company with a hybrid AWD car that runs 0 to 60 in about 5.3.
But again, none of that has anything to do with whether or not the RLX is of the same caliber as the LS. I don't want a hybrid AWD layout, if all I cared about or if even a little of what I care about was a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds I wouldn't have an LS. What appeals to me about the LS is the solidity, refinement, ride and noise isolation...all of which are significantly better than an RLX. I know...I drove a couple RLX's in my search to find an LS style car for ~ $60k. The only option is the Equus, perhaps the K900 but I haven't driven one of them.

If you love the RLX so much, go buy one and join the Acura forums. They're only selling like 400 RLX's a year so you should be able to get a good deal.

Go spend some time in an s-class and you learn what a std lux saloon is.
You clearly haven't done that if you think an RLX is even remotely comparable to any of these big flagship cars lol

Sedona is a good car, have at it.
What does my Sedona have to do with any of this? Do you think you're insulting me by bringing it up or something?

Originally Posted by 7milesout
About the Kia Sedona - I worked for Hyundai / Kia for 7 years in design. I worked for 5 years for Toyota in design. I know A LOT about what goes on with the Korean automaker and the Japanese automaker. Below is a comprehensive list regarding all the great attributes of the Sedona. The list below can be carried over to most of the vehicles produced by Hyundai / Kia.
Don't know what to tell you. We exhaustively drove every minivan, the Sedona was the best built, the nicest inside, the best equipped, the best price...I see absolutely no reason to pay ~ $6k more for a comparable Sienna. Resale value, reliability? More of a question but its a 3 year lease so who cares?

I have been very impressed with the Sedona. Materials are great (seat leather for instance is way better than whats in the LS), its held up well to abuse with kids, hell...the thing was on fire and it wound up being just cosmetic. We'll see how it goes for the rest of the lease, but I have plenty of friends with current Hyundai/Kia products and all are happy.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-29-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 02:35 PM
superdenso
Instructor

I'll pass. But back on topic. The manufacturers build different products to fill gaps in demand. Your point is well taken. When I reach 85k miles advanced drivetrains are on my list. Anything with sound build quality and metals is on my list. Hey, you feel insulted, I can't make you feel that way. Btw gs450h F is slow and sloppy in comparison to the RLX. Just the facts. Please don't throw another tantrum
Old 10-29-15, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'll pass. But back on topic. The manufacturers build different products to fill gaps in demand. Your point is well taken. When I reach 85k miles advanced drivetrains are on my list. Anything with sound build quality and metals is on my list. Hey, you feel insulted, I can't make you feel that way. Btw gs450h F is slow and sloppy in comparison to the RLX. Just the facts. Please don't throw another tantrum
The RLX whether the standard car or the sport hybrid will certainly have sound build quality and metals, its a good car I personally don't think it deserves a lot of the ire it gets from people...what I took issue with was the statement that it was a peer or competitor to the LS, which it isn't.

FWIW, if you think I am insulted or "threw a tantrum" you're quite mistaken. I've thoroughly enjoyed this exchange, and I find you quite amusing.

As for the GS450h vs the RLX Sport Hybrid, my guess is you have driven neither. Neither have I, but based on my ownership of the 4GS 350 and the couple of gas RLX's I drove, unless the 450h is significantly less crisp than the 350, and the RLX Sport Hybrid is significantly crisper than the gas P-AWS RLXs I drove, I would have a hard time ceding that. At least now though you're comparing cars that the manufacturers intend to be compared.

In any event, I wouldn't choose the RLX even compared to a GS because of its FWD setup and transverse layout. After years of having the ES that doesn't appeal to me. Resale on that car is going to be abysmal too...

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-29-15 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 04:13 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ssed/index.htm

Consumer reports wasn't impressed either. I could be wrong, but didn't the Acura RLX plummet in the reliability ratings this year? or was that another Acura model?

Regardless, a front drive, transverse mounted paltform is not in the same class an LS or most other flagship models.
Old 10-29-15, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That review pretty much sums up my experience driving the RLX, like I said, its similar to driving a big Accord.
Old 10-30-15, 11:29 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Default RLX Hybrid is awd<-you spend 120K to get a Lexus

This is the most recent post on the forum: LS460 and Questionable Reliability

The main aspects I'm coming across are:
(1) ENGINE CHATTER.
(2) FRONT ARMS
(3) ASB SYSTEM Brake booster and actuator failure around $2k
In my mind, for the price of the vehicle, these should NOT be failing and doesn't present a very encouraging picture for a prospective buyer whom is absolutely in love with the vehicle otherwise.

Is the LS actually in a lower class buddy...If it doesn't run it's not a luxury car, talk is cheap. Acura/Honda is nite and day more reliable than anything on tires.
Old 10-30-15, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is the LS actually in a lower class buddy...If it doesn't run it's not a luxury car, talk is cheap. Acura/Honda is nite and day more reliable than anything on tires.
Then you should go buy one, join the Acura forums and leave us alone lol

Data doesn't support that position, but arguing with you is pretty pointless.
Old 10-30-15, 12:11 PM
superdenso
Instructor

You're arguing a defenseless position and you know it. So you're a bit late on your suggestion again: already own an Acura and a Twin Turbo v6Hybrid would be a bit behind the curve. Maybe you should buy an Acura/Honda and ditch the Kia. Enjoy your weekend angry-fella.

When Sedona is nothing like Sedona:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-5.
Old 10-30-15, 12:34 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
l...the thing was on fire and it wound up being just cosmetic.
What caused it to catch fire? I mean that sounds very Hyundai / Kia. I solved a near fire problem on LOTS of cars in our plant, you just can't believe the root cause. But I don't know, maybe somebody started your fire accidentally. I have nothing against you SW, but it took me years of shock therapy and barrel loads of liquor to get over working for Hyundai / Kia, so I have 0 respect for them.
Old 10-30-15, 12:37 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

talk is cheap. Acura/Honda is nite and day more reliable than anything on tires.
Actual data doesn't support this assertion. They are good, but Toyota/Lexus are good as well, and the LS, GS, and LX in particular are three of the most reliable cars on the planet.

Every car has its weak spots, even the good ones. The '11+ LS is really remarkable in that it doesn't seem to have any at all.

Quick Reply: 2015 ls ?