LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Super Luxury Car Rankings by USNews

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 03:52 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
You gotta look at it from a "car reviewer" point of view. Everyone wants Bentley Continental Super Sport power and luxury, for a Fiat 500 price.
Uh.......... seen the price of a Fiat 500 lately? Same piece of crap, twice the price!

Point taken, though
Old 10-09-14, 05:01 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the Fiat 500 you can purchase a LIFETIME warranty for, so the entire time you own the car, BTB its covered. Some old guy at the carshow bought his Abarth with it. I actually quite love those things. I drove them before they were EPA certified and legally allowed to be driven in the US (my uncle works at the Chrysler plant) and those things are TRULY go-karts. especially the Abarth or the Abarth Essesse.

but yeah. They are all about SLS65 BLACK power and screw cost of ownership. If they factored the reliability, overengineering of the LS, and the MPG, LS would be #1.
Old 10-09-14, 09:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

but yeah. They are all about SLS65 BLACK power and screw cost of ownership. If they factored the reliability, overengineering of the LS, and the MPG, LS would be #1.
NO, NO, NO!!!! Haven't you heard??!! The LS460 is a piece of crap and we should be trading them in for 10-15 year-old 400's and 430's!! C'mon man...do your research!

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-10-14 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-09-14, 09:44 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
NO, NO, NO!!!! Haven't you heard??!! The LS460 is a piece of crap and we should be trading them in for 10-15 year-old 400's and 430's!! C'mon man...do your research! LOL.
The 460 is a lemon that doesn't make lemonade. That's what me friends sister's boy friends nanny's uncle who works at a BMW dealership that's good friends with a Lexus mechanic online told me so it must be true.
Old 10-10-14, 06:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
The 460 is a lemon that doesn't make lemonade. That's what me friends sister's boy friends nanny's uncle who works at a BMW dealership that's good friends with a Lexus mechanic online told me so it must be true.
OMG.....thanks..........I now have to clean off all the coffee I just spewed all over my laptop!!
Old 10-10-14, 08:50 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by cgawelko

The LS is actually a lot more low tech then the Mercedes or most European brands.
This is a good thing because it's easier to diagnose, fix and least likely to have any electronic quirks.
The LS is essentially a big Toyota and in many respects drives like one too.
Old 10-10-14, 09:45 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

The LS is actually a lot more low tech then the Mercedes or most European brands.
This is a good thing because it's easier to diagnose, fix and least likely to have any electronic quirks.
The LS is essentially a big Toyota and in many respects drives like one too.
I meant overengineered as in how it was built, not the technology in it. The engines are far beyond the rest. Take the 1UZFE for example. 2 distributor caps, 2 ignitors, 2 coils, 4 coolant temp sensors each with a different job, its almost impossible to kill a Lexus engine. I drove a BMW for a few years, even raced circuit with one, and I had one blow up at 160k, then I had my track rat, at 203,000 miles the water pump went out, the irregularity in the bearings, made the radiator fan wobble, and it ripped out the coolant overflow line, tore up the shroud, and the fan shattered. Car overheated and blew the headgasket. No fan, no air and it had no electric fans.
Old 10-10-14, 10:01 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

. I drove a BMW for a few years, even raced circuit with one, and I had one blow up at 160k
My 7 series (4.4 liter), was blowing blue smoke and burning oil at 55k miles. POS. Also blew the coolant pipe (buried inside the engine) at 65k miles, which resulted in a 5k dollar repair...4950 dollars of that was labor for a 50 dollar part. THEN the carbon blockages in the engine passes which prevented passing emissions tests which required almost 8k dollars in repairs at 70k miles. "Flagship", my ****

Yeah.... I love my LS.
Old 10-10-14, 10:22 AM
Devh
Racer

My 7 series (4.4 liter), was blowing blue smoke and burning oil at 55k miles. POS. Also blew the coolant pipe (buried inside the engine) at 65k miles, which resulted in a 5k dollar repair...4950 dollars of that was labor for a 50 dollar part. THEN the carbon blockages in the engine passes which prevented passing emissions tests which required almost 8k dollars in repairs at 70k miles. "Flagship", my ****

Yeah.... I love my LS.
BMW cant make a reliable V8. As you mentioned one of their biggest problems is the coolant line that runs symmetrical to the engine that leaks and ends up costing a fortune to repair because you need to remove the heads.
It's fine if they got it wrong initially but each subsequent V8 they made afterwards never addressed the issue. This speaks volumes towards their arrogance when they are only interested in improving the horsepower or other goodies rather then a redesign of the coolant tube.
Old 10-10-14, 10:28 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

BMW cant make a reliable V8. As you mentioned one of their biggest problems is the coolant line that runs symmetrical to the engine that leaks and ends up costing a fortune to repair because you need to remove the heads.
It's fine if they got it wrong initially but each subsequent V8 they made afterwards never addressed the issue. This speaks volumes towards their arrogance when they are only interested in improving the horsepower or other goodies rather then a redesign of the coolant tube.
Arrogance is right. NOT ONE recall for ANY of the common issues they designed. The ones I mentioned above were so common that the BImmer forums were rife with these issues. There were other problems as well, but those ones above were effecting 90% of the E65's of the members on the forum. Blown amps, transmissions seals, eengine oil leaks even after repairing/replacing gaskets, etc.
Old 10-10-14, 11:04 AM
Devh
Racer

Arrogance is right. NOT ONE recall for ANY of the common issues they designed. The ones I mentioned above were so common that the BImmer forums were rife with these issues. There were other problems as well, but those ones above were effecting 90% of the E65's of the members on the forum. Blown amps, transmissions seals, eengine oil leaks even after repairing/replacing gaskets, etc.
I heard it has taken the aftermarket to develop improved parts that BMW refuses to address.
I know GM gets a bad rap for their interiors or ignition recalls but they make a great small block V8 because they stick to simplicity. Those engine dimensions are also smaller and lighter then BMWs.
Old 10-10-14, 11:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I heard it has taken the aftermarket to develop improved parts that BMW refuses to address.
I know GM gets a bad rap for their interiors or ignition recalls but they make a great small block V8 because they stick to simplicity. Those engine dimensions are also smaller and lighter then BMWs.
Yep. All German Auto in L.A. addresses almost all of the issues. A special expandable pipe that eliminates the need to remove the heads and intake for the coolant pipe. Another kit to replace the valve stem seals that eliminates the need to remove the heads. And another kit that cleans the air passages of the coke and carbon, which is causing the dreaded PO491 SES code that results in emission failure testing. They are making a killing.
Old 10-11-14, 09:10 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Yeah.... I love my LS.
What year was it? The 7 series - the ones built over the last ten years - are considered to be one of the worst built cars in history...with the 535 not far behind. I've talked to a factory rep - because I was going to buy either one - and he said that even he can't fix the 7 series...they don't know how to fix its electrical problems...and he said the 535 will be in the shop for a major repair every other month. I also talked to a shop foreman and he agreed that both are some of the worst cars ever built, he said, "not just BMW, but ever built". You can pick up a 535 that cost 50k new, for 16 grand now...and a 750 for 7-10k.
Old 10-11-14, 05:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
What year was it? The 7 series - the ones built over the last ten years - are considered to be one of the worst built cars in history...with the 535 not far behind. I've talked to a factory rep - because I was going to buy either one - and he said that even he can't fix the 7 series...they don't know how to fix its electrical problems...and he said the 535 will be in the shop for a major repair every other month. I also talked to a shop foreman and he agreed that both are some of the worst cars ever built, he said, "not just BMW, but ever built". You can pick up a 535 that cost 50k new, for 16 grand now...and a 750 for 7-10k.
Mine was an 03, but all the forum members had varying year from 02-14 and ALL of them had issues.

Yes, Time Magazine did up a list of the 50 worst cars in history...the 7 series E65 BMW was on that list alongside, Edsel, AMC Pacer and Ford Pinto. Great company for a "Flagship".

At the 2014 Vancouver International Auto Show, I was looking over the 7 series, when a pretty lady approached me in an expensive business suit. She turned out to be the West Coast Rep for BMW of some kind. Anyway, as I was looking over this 7 series, she says, "nice car huh"? I replied, "yes it LOOKS very nice". She kinda looked at me with that "but?" look and went on to told her about my previous ownership experience of said 7 series. She kinda nodded and acknowledged the issues experienced by 7 series owners, but that "BMW has addresses them". I went on to tell her that this was simply not true and that the same issues have been going on right up to the current year. She finally ceded and said, most people simply lease these cars and unload them after two or three years for another lease and these lease were returns were sold as CPO'd cars for a couple more years. She the says, if you want reliability in a luxury car, you;re going to have to go Japanese. LOL. I laughed and said, "funny you should say that"....I traded in my 7 for a Lexus LS460, three months ago." She smiled and said, "well it sounds like you're happy. Good luck." My point is, I think she was completely cognizant of the reputation BMW is getting and that she had basically drank the Kool-Aid and hoped others would too.
Old 10-11-14, 08:08 PM
escapedcon
Driver

Mine was an 03, but all the forum members had varying year from 02-14 and ALL of them had issues.

Yes, Time Magazine did up a list of the 50 worst cars in history...the 7 series E65 BMW was on that list alongside, Edsel, AMC Pacer and Ford Pinto. Great company for a "Flagship".

At the 2014 Vancouver International Auto Show, I was looking over the 7 series, when a pretty lady approached me in an expensive business suit. She turned out to be the West Coast Rep for BMW of some kind. Anyway, as I was looking over this 7 series, she says, "nice car huh"? I replied, "yes it LOOKS very nice". She kinda looked at me with that "but?" look and went on to told her about my previous ownership experience of said 7 series. She kinda nodded and acknowledged the issues experienced by 7 series owners, but that "BMW has addresses them". I went on to tell her that this was simply not true and that the same issues have been going on right up to the current year. She finally ceded and said, most people simply lease these cars and unload them after two or three years for another lease and these lease were returns were sold as CPO'd cars for a couple more years. She the says, if you want reliability in a luxury car, you;re going to have to go Japanese. LOL. I laughed and said, "funny you should say that"....I traded in my 7 for a Lexus LS460, three months ago." She smiled and said, "well it sounds like you're happy. Good luck." My point is, I think she was completely cognizant of the reputation BMW is getting and that she had basically drank the Kool-Aid and hoped others would too.
The only thing that makes sense is that maybe BMW is mostly after the "lease" market and they really do not care about long term reliability.

want a BMW? lease it and let us make more money off of you (as opposed to buying it) + we'll sell the piece of crap after you turn it in, to some fan boy that really wants a BMW but cannot afford leasing .

and after the sale, who cares...screw the fan boy.

Quick Reply: Super Luxury Car Rankings by USNews