LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Super Luxury Car Rankings by USNews

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-14, 10:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by escapedcon
The only thing that makes sense is that maybe BMW is mostly after the "lease" market and they really do not care about long term reliability.

want a BMW? lease it and let us make more money off of you (as opposed to buying it) + we'll sell the piece of crap after you turn it in, to some fan boy that really wants a BMW but cannot afford leasing .

and after the sale, who cares...screw the fan boy.
Yep, that's pretty much what she said. More politely of course and less direct, but it supports what many have been saying about BMW.
Old 10-12-14, 01:31 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that explains the 745Li that I almost bought. 2009 with 60k for only 14,000. I almost signed the papers, but I just couldnt live with the MPG! but glad I didnt bother lol
Old 10-12-14, 09:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cgawelko
All that explains the 745Li that I almost bought. 2009 with 60k for only 14,000. I almost signed the papers, but I just couldnt live with the MPG! but glad I didnt bother lol
Most dealers will send E65's to auction when they get them on trade....they don't want the headache. The local auctions here are getting between 3-7k dollars for these cars. The auction is full of them. Shameful.

Local listings show 2003 7 series going for about 7k dollars with less than 60k miles.

When I traded-in mine with 70k miles for my LS in January, they gave me 7k dollars. Imagine the poor slob who pays around 120k dollars on a flagship car and then 8-10 years later gets maybe 10k back. Any car that depreciates nearly 100% in ten years......

And to be clear, this is not unique to the E65. My buddy is desperate to get rid of his 3 series for the same reason. Every week it's a new repair. He only has 80k miles.
Old 10-12-14, 10:26 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
And to be clear, this is not unique to the E65. My buddy is desperate to get rid of his 3 series for the same reason. Every week it's a new repair. He only has 80k miles.
This is how I pay my bills. Lol! I deal with the old clients from when I worked strictly on exotic cars as a private mechanic (the dealer would let the customer pick their mechanic because they can meet you and talk and whatever else and have contact 24/7) and just recently a lady with a 2006 bmw 3 series needed a new rack and pinion and the dealer wanted $5000 to do it. I told her $2800 and she was acting like I was telling her $10, she was stoked. Bmw owners must be used to getting raped with a sharp stick wrapped in razorwire. poor fanboys...

I couldnt imagine owning a car like these without doing all my own work and getting one that will be in the shop biweekly....
Old 10-12-14, 01:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cgawelko
This is how I pay my bills. Lol! I deal with the old clients from when I worked strictly on exotic cars as a private mechanic (the dealer would let the customer pick their mechanic because they can meet you and talk and whatever else and have contact 24/7) and just recently a lady with a 2006 bmw 3 series needed a new rack and pinion and the dealer wanted $5000 to do it. I told her $2800 and she was acting like I was telling her $10, she was stoked. Bmw owners must be used to getting raped with a sharp stick wrapped in razorwire. poor fanboys...

I couldnt imagine owning a car like these without doing all my own work and getting one that will be in the shop biweekly....
LOL. This is why companies like AGA (All German Auto) are thriving. They've engineered and manufactured these specialty items to capitalize on the BMW-specific issues. Alongside their, always full shop, they must be raking it in.

A half hour drive from me is a large shop that also specializes in German repair...mostly MB and BMW. They too are VERY busy. Shortly after I bought my 7 series, I approached them about my blue smoke/oil consumption. He had that pained, "you're not gonna like what I have to say", look and proceeded to tell me that I should get rid of the car ASAP and described the 7 series as disposable cars. He quoted me 7k dollars for the repair but added that other VERY expensive repairs were on the way. He was soooo right. ARGH.

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-12-14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 05:51 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Mine was an 03, but all the forum members had varying year from 02-14 and ALL of them had issues.

Yes, Time Magazine did up a list of the 50 worst cars in history...the 7 series E65 BMW was on that list alongside, Edsel, AMC Pacer and Ford Pinto. Great company for a "Flagship".

At the 2014 Vancouver International Auto Show, I was looking over the 7 series, when a pretty lady approached me in an expensive business suit. She turned out to be the West Coast Rep for BMW of some kind. Anyway, as I was looking over this 7 series, she says, "nice car huh"? I replied, "yes it LOOKS very nice". She kinda looked at me with that "but?" look and went on to told her about my previous ownership experience of said 7 series. She kinda nodded and acknowledged the issues experienced by 7 series owners, but that "BMW has addresses them". I went on to tell her that this was simply not true and that the same issues have been going on right up to the current year. She finally ceded and said, most people simply lease these cars and unload them after two or three years for another lease and these lease were returns were sold as CPO'd cars for a couple more years. She the says, if you want reliability in a luxury car, you;re going to have to go Japanese. LOL. I laughed and said, "funny you should say that"....I traded in my 7 for a Lexus LS460, three months ago." She smiled and said, "well it sounds like you're happy. Good luck." My point is, I think she was completely cognizant of the reputation BMW is getting and that she had basically drank the Kool-Aid and hoped others would too.
Lol! Very true.

Similar story, I was talking to a shop foreman for BMW and he mentioning the extended length of maintenance service that BMW uses...15k between oil changes (prior to them going with the turbo charged engines), and now 10k miles for their oil changes...maintenance free transmissions (that we're blowing up before 120k miles). BMW certainly has this all figured out...they cater and market towards those leases and you see those bmw's all over the roads, but their reliability is ridiculous.

The 535's had serious mechanical fuel pump problems, BMW actually went so far to buy the company that made the pumps, it didn't matter, those things were still breaking down. BMW extended their warranty on the pumps until 100k miles, but after that you were on your own, and they will never stop breaking. Supposedly they have corrected the nightmare on their newer cars by changing how the pump is driven, but if you own the older 535 you're out of luck. There's other problems too...the carbon buildup on the intake valves (due to direct injection being in the cylinder and not spraying behind the intake valve) has left carbon deposits that must be cleaned. This is a major job! The intake has to come off and a tube must be placed behind the closed valve where walnut shells are blasted onto the back of the valve. I want to say this is a 1200 dollar job. Ouch.
Old 10-12-14, 06:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

That same job (carbon build up) requires removing the heads, intake, fuel system, etc. and cost 3-5k dollars at an independent. Many forum members tried to use Seafoam injested into the intake and left to sit for a few days, but it did nothing. The kit from AGA is seen here: https://www.agacoolantpipe.com/produ...ry-air-cleaner