LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson Amp Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 04:21 PM
ambrown307
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mark Levinson Amp Problem

Good Afternoon,

I just purchased a 2007 LS460L about three weeks ago and have been reading these forums - some great information here.

I just had my Mark Levinson stereo quit on me. Just like many symptoms I've read on here - sound and bluetooth doesn't work but all navigation function works.

I checked the 30 AMP fuse on the passenger side and it was blown. With the car off, as I placed a new fuse in, it immediately blew again. I haven't read any other amp problems that had this symptom. My car never had the annoying clicking noise that everyone else complained about.

I plan to call United Radio tomorrow to talk with them about repairing the amp and am hoping that they can shed some light. Anyone else have this problem where the fuse keeps popping?

Aaron
Old 10-18-14, 05:00 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Definitely a short. If the fuse keeps blowing. Just for curiosity sake unplug all the plugs on the amp an then put a new fuse in... see if it blows again. If not its the amp for sure
Old 10-18-14, 06:26 PM
ambrown307
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
Definitely a short. If the fuse keeps blowing. Just for curiosity sake unplug all the plugs on the amp an then put a new fuse in... see if it blows again. If not its the amp for sure
Good call. I'll need to order new fuses. Apparently Toyota uses those weird square ones and the ones from the parts store don't fit right.
Old 10-20-14, 07:18 PM
ambrown307
Driver School Candidate

So I just unplugged the amp and inserted a fuse and it didn't blow so it certainly seems like an amp problem. United Radio is now charging $725 to repair. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my local dealer, Valley Lexus in Modesto, charges $650 for a refurbished one with a warrant so I'll just go through them.
Old 06-01-15, 11:21 AM
hmklee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a same problem as ambrown307. where can I find that 30a fuse?
Old 06-01-15, 04:13 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ambrown307
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my local dealer, Valley Lexus in Modesto, charges $650 for a refurbished one with a warrant so I'll just go through them.
Good to know. Does this include installation or just the part?
Old 03-01-22, 03:53 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Shout out from Fresno County!!!!

Hey this just happened to me, same exact blown fuse with no clicking or popping. How was the new amp installed? Did that fix the problem?

Old 03-02-22, 04:58 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 451 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by derreckla
Shout out from Fresno County!!!!

Hey this just happened to me, same exact blown fuse with no clicking or popping. How was the new amp installed? Did that fix the problem?
Recently went thru this as my ML amp on my 2007 finally gave up the ghost on 1/7/22 at 66,444 miles. 30 amp fuse still good and not blowing and was removed during removal of old amp and install of refurbished amp. Refurb amp from 86280-0W260 Lexus Mark Levinson amplifier 2007 2008 2009 2010 LS460 *REFURBISHED | eBay

With $25 for shipping and $42 tax, total was $642, and I rececived it in 3-4 days. Came with return shipping label for old amp, and I received a $200 credit when it was received and checked out to be in good enough condition for them to replace bad components. So net cost of $442 for the refurbbed amp. Amp running good and even seems like cleaner/stronger power as my old one was probably on its way out and not operating at 100%. Seller was great with communication and a few questions I had. Very professional and an excellent transaction overall.

For removal, I did not have to take out all of the trunk panels. Only the floor panel directly above the amp was removed to access it. I removed the plastic snap retainers for the side panel and carefully flexed it out of the way in order to acces the 3 amp mounting bolts (2 toward rear, 8mm I think and 1 toward front). The two at the rear were removed and the one to the right of these loosened to gain more movement of the amp. The one forward bolt is actually the bracket mount to the car and was removed still attached to the amp. Then, after the amp was removed from the car, the bracket was removed from the amp and later transferred to the refubbed unit.

I wish I would've remembered to take photos and documented better, but I think once you access the amp you'll find it pretty easy, with just a couple of sockets and a short extension required.The panel above the amp has a metal hold down bracket that rotates up, and there's a plastic cover that pops off to access the small bolt (10mm I think) that hold the panel to the trunk. The attached might be of help, good luck.
Attached Files
Old 03-02-22, 06:58 AM
derreckla
Intermediate

Thanks very informative...

Has anyone used one of these amps?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Alpi...client=gws-wiz

there supposed to be plug and play with our cars...
The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (08-13-24)
Old 03-02-22, 04:48 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Same reply from other thread maybe someone has experience...

Here's where we are at...

I took out amp and tried to use Multimeter to test to see if power was running through it...

Then I put the 30amp fuse back in the car with NO AMP - Not blown

Then I tested voltage on main power wire that's "downline" from 30amp fuse that keeps blowing 12volts

Then I thought hey, why don't I plug amp in one plug at a time and see if that's the problem, I plugged just the power wires in thinking if it was a crossed connection at the stereo later on down the line it wouldn't blow....and...IT BLEW with just power plugged into amp with no other plugs (speakers etc) plugged in.

Does this mean I have a bad or blown amp?

Thanks
Old 03-03-22, 02:34 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 451 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by derreckla
Same reply from other thread maybe someone has experience...

Here's where we are at...

I took out amp and tried to use Multimeter to test to see if power was running through it...

Then I put the 30amp fuse back in the car with NO AMP - Not blown

Then I tested voltage on main power wire that's "downline" from 30amp fuse that keeps blowing 12volts

Then I thought hey, why don't I plug amp in one plug at a time and see if that's the problem, I plugged just the power wires in thinking if it was a crossed connection at the stereo later on down the line it wouldn't blow....and...IT BLEW with just power plugged into amp with no other plugs (speakers etc) plugged in.

Does this mean I have a bad or blown amp?

Thanks
Short answer, most likely yes. Out of curiosity, what year and mileage of your car? I believe it may be a capacitor(s) in the power supply part of the amp, as they have a limited lifespan, and cycling the audio system/amp on and off hundreds/thousands of times eventually takes its toll. I think that was the case in my amp, but the 30 amp fuse did not pop. Like others, I got the dreaded ocsillating/clicking noise. Perhaps a failed/burnt out component in yours caused a short in the circuitry?
BlazeViper (03-21-22)
Old 06-23-22, 05:34 AM
LXTASY
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today I ordered an Amp from the Ebay supplier that lwphat66 did, HOWEVER, be aware that there are different production models that Lexus built. The part # on mine is 86280-0W480, which is also what Lexus told me per my VIN #. Not sure what difference this is between 86280-0W260 & 86280-0W480, but just wanted to bring it to the members attention. Mine is a 2008 LS460.
swfla (06-23-22)