LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 600h 5000 Mile Service/Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 06:37 PM
ctatum7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 600h 5000 Mile Service/Oil Change

Is the going rate for an oil change and tire rotation at the dealership $180.00? What other options do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Old 10-31-14, 06:53 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You can do it yourself, I'm sure there is a how to in the Sticky at the top of the forum, or you can have an independent shop do it, or call around to other dealerships. I personally wouldn't take the car to a Jiffy Lube or anything like that.

Some guys have gotten lower prices from Toyota dealers, but some have had issues there.

It uses Toyota synthetic and the 460 uses over 9 quarts of it. There is talk of the oil causing hesitation issues in the 460's. I haven't heard of it in a 600. But there are other options out there.
Old 10-31-14, 07:04 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

No, an oil change for my 600 is 85.95 including parts and labor.

Tire rotation at Discount Tire...FREE! Doesn't matter if you bought the tires from them, still free!
Old 10-31-14, 07:05 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

yep, lexus - home of the $250 oil change!
Old 10-31-14, 07:14 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

No, an oil change is NOT 250.00

85.95 at Flow Lexus Winston Salem, NC
Old 10-31-14, 07:42 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ctatum7
Is the going rate for an oil change and tire rotation at the dealership $180.00? What other options do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Walmart on 280 in Chelsea. I've got them trained to do LS oil changes. Buy two jugs of Pennzoil 0W-20 ($25 each), look under the jug caps or save your receipt, register for Pennzoil/Shell FRN rewards and fill up 20 gallons of gas with a $2/gal discount. Then, buy a box of oil filter kits from Sewell at $5 each. Amazon can fix you up with the special oil filter canister wrench for around $20 as well as drain plug washers for less than $1 each. Then take oil, filter kit, wrench, and washer to Walmart. They'll change your oil for around $15. You'll have to work out the tire rotation on your own, but they're pretty reasonable and VERY well trained (at least at Chelsea). Good luck.
Old 10-31-14, 08:45 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Change

Yes, oil change at most Lexus dealers is around $150. When in Florida for the winter I went to a local Lexus dealer and was quoted $95. I asked what kind of oil they used and they said a Synthetic Blend. You should not use a blend. Full synthetic 0-W-20 only. As for tire rotations you can hear all kinds of reasons for it, and how often. My wife and I have owned 25 Toyota and Lexus products going back to 1978. I never rotate tires and I always put more miles on them than they are rated, before the wear bars are noticeable. Cost of rotation at 5000 mile intervals soon pays for a pair of tires. I have also had tires where they are uni-directional and the rears are larger than the front. Cannot rotate them, so I figure why rotate any tire. I know it cost a lot for an oil change, but when you purchase a luxury car you pay more for everything. Something as simple as the paper cartridge for the oil filter is quite a bit more for an LS, but is the same one used in the Toyota. If you are going to quibble over a few bucks, stay away from Luxury cars (all brands), because you will pay a premium for everything you have done to it. If I do not do the work on it, I only use a reputable Lexus dealer. No independents as they have no real responsibility to you unless you can prove negligence.
Old 10-31-14, 11:07 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101

I know it cost a lot for an oil change, but when you purchase a luxury car you pay more for everything. Something as simple as the paper cartridge for the oil filter is quite a bit more for an LS, but is the same one used in the Toyota. If you are going to quibble over a few bucks, stay away from Luxury cars (all brands), because you will pay a premium for everything you have done to it. If I do not do the work on it, I only use a reputable Lexus dealer. No independents as they have no real responsibility to you unless you can prove negligence.
The above is arguably the WORST advice I've ever read on this forum. It is utter nonsense through and through. The "paper cartridge for the oil filter" for the Lexus comes in a red TOYOTA box, it doesn't say Lexus ANYWHERE on the box. Does the Lexus DEALER charge more for it than the Toyota dealer? You better believe it! But Sewell Lexus charges $5 per kit, buy as few or as many as you want. Same with wiper blade inserts. Rapine at the dealer, no biggie at Sewell. And as the guys post here EVERY SINGLE DAY, better rotors than OEM are available at VERY reasonable cost, better pads (Akebono) are similarly cheap, effective, and low-dust. And many, many members here NEVER go to the Lexus dealer for routine or even serious periodic maintenance. Instead, top notch indies do the job quicker, better, and at lower cost than the dealer's wrenchers. The writer is expressing an attitude, not an opinion. As an attitude, it's despicable (I can afford it, you can't), as advice, it's worth every cent you paid for it, if not LESS!
Old 11-01-14, 12:00 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Something as simple as the paper cartridge for the oil filter is quite a bit more for an LS, but is the same one used in the Toyota. If you are going to quibble over a few bucks, stay away from Luxury cars (all brands), because you will pay a premium for everything you have done to it. If I do not do the work on it, I only use a reputable Lexus dealer. No independents as they have no real responsibility to you unless you can prove negligence.
Wow....you really need to get your facts straight. I don't even know where to start. However, for one thing, the filter used on our vehicle IS a Toyota filter. You go to the Toyota dealer and get the filter for about 6 bucks. There is no such thing as a "Lexus filter" and there is nothing "boutique" about it.

Secondly, there are independants who do NOTHING but certain Marquee brands. For example, locally here is a shop that only does BMW's. Another, nothing but VW & Porsche. Another does only Asian vehicles. Indies DO know what they're doing (at least specialty ones).....and charge about half what the dealer does.

I pay no more for anything on my Lexus than I ever paid on any of the other 20+ vehicles I've owned and in fact, CHEAPER than many (my two BMW's especially). My Ford truck was far more expensive for parts and service than my Lexus is....and certainly more frequent and often. My BMW's were and are service and parts whor*s. I bought my Lexus SPECIFICALLY because of the reliability and relatively low parts costs. The LS shares many components with other Toyota platforms, most noticeably, the Tundra.

Last edited by roadfrog; 11-01-14 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-01-14, 05:39 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Wow....you really need to get your facts straight. I don't even know where to start. However, for one thing, the filter used on our vehicle IS a Toyota filter. You go to the Toyota dealer and get the filter for about 6 bucks. There is no such thing as a "Lexus filter" and there is nothing "boutique" about it.

Secondly, there are independants who do NOTHING but certain Marquee brands. For example, locally here is a shop that only does BMW's. Another, nothing but VW & Porsche. Another does only Asian vehicles. Indies DO know what they're doing (at least specialty ones).....and charge about half what the dealer does.

I pay no more for anything on my Lexus than I ever paid on any of the other 20+ vehicles I've owned and in fact, CHEAPER than many (my two BMW's especially). My Ford truck was far more expensive for parts and service than my Lexus is....and certainly more frequent and often. My BMW's were and are service and parts whor*s. I bought my Lexus SPECIFICALLY because of the reliability and relatively low parts costs. The LS shares many components with other Toyota platforms, most noticeably, the Tundra.
I'll add (as you already know) that you can get lots of original equipment right on ebay. What does a headlight cost at the dealer? I found them on ebay last night for $200 bucks. The ABS hydraulic unit is 600-700 on ebay...a couple of grand at the dealer. I found a steering rack on there for $500 bucks, at the dealer it's over 2k. I'm finding alternators and starters on there for $200...the dealer wants 1200 for the alternator.

I think if you have another car you can use if this thing breaks down, you can take a little time to find parts at reasonable prices.
Old 11-01-14, 08:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'll add (as you already know) that you can get lots of original equipment right on ebay. What does a headlight cost at the dealer? I found them on ebay last night for $200 bucks. The ABS hydraulic unit is 600-700 on ebay...a couple of grand at the dealer. I found a steering rack on there for $500 bucks, at the dealer it's over 2k. I'm finding alternators and starters on there for $200...the dealer wants 1200 for the alternator.

I think if you have another car you can use if this thing breaks down, you can take a little time to find parts at reasonable prices.
Yep. Another good example: I bought a radiator on Ebay with a lifetime warranty...for 69 bucks and free shipping. Lexus price 4-5 hundred dollars. Water pump...50 bucks. Brake rotors...30-40 dollars each withe a year warranty against warping. The list goes on....
Old 11-01-14, 09:37 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
No, an oil change is NOT 250.00

85.95 at Flow Lexus Winston Salem, NC
Johnson Lexus, Durham, $220 with a free tire rotation! Just paid it (for the last time).
Old 11-01-14, 11:25 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

As far as a general maintenance goes any roadside mechanic in the boons can service this car. It's a very easy car to work on that doesn't require special tools like torques bits and it shares many of the common Toyota parts that are in use today. This is primarily the reason why purchasing this car was a no-brainer especially if you do your own work.

Last edited by Devh; 11-01-14 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-01-14, 12:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

$220 with a free tire rotation!
Ouch! That would be about 250 here in Canada. My Toyota dealer charges 39 dollars for a SYNTHETIC fluid change....then adds a charge for each qt after the first 4 qts....so in the case of the LS...a grand sum of about 75 bucks. That's cheaper than the quick lube places.
Old 11-01-14, 01:51 PM
ctatum7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys. I live an hour from the dealership, so the Walmart route or my local mechanic will be the route I take for oil changes any way. Could do them myself, but I have enough to do already.