LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 07:35 PM
thelawnet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I wish number 8 would give us toe numbers for the front but apparently it seems that it's based on over all travel from left to right and this is where I'm stuck.
For the rear it makes sense to have toe in for stability.
Number 8 is the process of actually checking/measuring the suspension parts (suspension and control arms), to check if they need replacement.

The toe-in numbers for the back or front wheels are measured as follows:

* measure the distance between the centres of the rear of the left and right wheels - this is B
* measure the distance between the centres of the front of the front and and right wheels - this is A
* B-A is the toe-in distance.
* The toe-in angle meanwhile is the sum of the left and right toe angles.

It seems Toyota don't specify that you measure the individual toe angles separately.

Therefore:

* TOTAL front toe should be -0°10' to +0°10'
* TOTAL rear toe should be 0°5' to +0°25'

Common sense would suggest that you want individual toe measurements to be half of that,, i.e. front -0°5' to +0°5', and rear 0°2.5' to 0°12.5'
Old 11-16-14, 08:01 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Keep in mind that camber cannot be adjusted independently from toe on our cars. Camber and toe are linked so just because the camber is off it doesn't indicate anything is wrong until toe is adjusted and it will usually come back into specification.
It's good that you found the problem with the original alignment.
Old 11-16-14, 08:09 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by thelawnet
Number 8 is the process of actually checking/measuring the suspension parts (suspension and control arms), to check if they need replacement.

The toe-in numbers for the back or front wheels are measured as follows:

* measure the distance between the centres of the rear of the left and right wheels - this is B
* measure the distance between the centres of the front of the front and and right wheels - this is A
* B-A is the toe-in distance.
* The toe-in angle meanwhile is the sum of the left and right toe angles.

It seems Toyota don't specify that you measure the individual toe angles separately.

Therefore:

* TOTAL front toe should be -0°10' to +0°10'
* TOTAL rear toe should be 0°5' to +0°25'

Common sense would suggest that you want individual toe measurements to be half of that,, i.e. front -0°5' to +0°5', and rear 0°2.5' to 0°12.5'
Excellent and thanks, I'm happy you calculated a tighter tolerance. I will be taking my car in for an over due alignment soon.
Old 11-16-14, 08:31 PM
thelawnet
Driver School Candidate

Keep in mind that camber cannot be adjusted independently from toe on our cars. Camber and toe are linked so just because the camber is off it doesn't indicate anything is wrong until toe is adjusted and it will usually come back into specification.
It's good that you found the problem with the original alignment.
You can adjust the FRONT camber and FRONT caster by turning the suspension cross member (adjusts caster and camber, but one side caster more than the other), moving front to rear (adjusts caster), or left to right (adjusts camber). On the AWD cars there are separate left front, left right, rear right and rear left cams for adjusting this. For toe-in you adjust the rack end lengths .

The rear camber/caster is not adjustable - for toe-in you turn the adjust cams.
Old 11-16-14, 08:48 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by thelawnet
You can adjust the FRONT camber and FRONT caster by turning the suspension cross member (adjusts caster and camber, but one side caster more than the other), moving front to rear (adjusts caster), or left to right (adjusts camber). On the AWD cars there are separate left front, left right, rear right and rear left cams for adjusting this. For toe-in you adjust the rack end lengths .

The rear camber/caster is not adjustable - for toe-in you turn the adjust cams.
Interesting, I did not know that you could adjust the camber or caster in the front. Are there eccentric bolts or some kind of play which you slide and then lock up.
Old 11-17-14, 04:33 AM
thelawnet
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, I did not know that you could adjust the camber or caster in the front. Are there eccentric bolts or some kind of play which you slide and then lock up.
For the AWD:

http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/ls...ent/page_2034/

For the RWD:

http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/ls...ent/page_1978/
Old 11-17-14, 12:22 PM
Devh
Racer

Very interesting and I wouldn't have guess that that both the RWD and the AWD are completely different in the way the Camber and Caster is adjusted.
It appears that the AWD is done with eccentric cams and the RWD is done with shifting the cross member plate and then locking it up.
The alignment on these cars is a lot more sophisticated then I imagined and will require a trained technician and a lot of time.
Old 11-17-14, 01:50 PM
saustin
Driver School Candidate

Default Ride Quality

My 2010 460L picks up every little bump and crack in the road and, it also floats (like has been described). I'm not use to that because my 2006 430 did not and had a much smoother ride.. The 460L has air suspension and AWD. The ride bothers me every time I drive.