LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vaistech Ivic 5d - Lots of issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 07:45 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Vaistech Ivic 5d - Lots of issues.

Ok. I know that the Ivic-5d has a "learning curve" etc. But seriously, mine seems to be never ending.

Keep in mind that I have a Samsung Note 3

So far I've FINALLY managed to get it all set up, however a couple of problems remain and no amount of Googling or searching seems to provide any relief.

1. When my home screen is displayed on my nav screen, half (ok, 1/3) of my apps/icons don't show up on the screen. Because the newer Android systems dont allow landscape mode on the home screen, the entire bottom row of apps of that page on my phone is missing. Also, the lower row that you can place on the bottom of every screen has one of the icons only partly showing. When I look at Cjitty's youtube video with his Galaxy, all his apps are shown and he seems to have a true landscape look.

2. I bought a bluetooth mouse that is really cool (Microsoft Arc Touch), but I can't seem to ge it to work with my Note 3. Not blaming the Ivic here, as it has nothing to do with their product. Not sure if I need to get a different mouse, but again...Cjitty got his to work with a cheap Ebay mouse....

3. Is the cursor on the Ivic screen supposed to be clunky and basically unusable? I expected to be able to move the cursor/pointer around the screen by dragging my finger on it.

4. Can't swipe the pages on my phone left and right on the ivic screen. However, there were a few ocassions where I WAS able to.

5. The "Ivic Port" app is brutal. Sometimes when I unplug my phone, it stays in Landscape mode and I have to uninstall the app to get everything working again. Powering up and down does not fix it. Also, sometimes the screen will not brighten back up and requires a reboot to get that working again so I can see the screen. Making adjusrtmebnts in the app does not change the issue ("force portrait mode" etc).

6. My Samsung MHL adapter does not charge my phone. I thought it would. I need to plug an external micro usb cord into the adapter to charge.

Perhaps a firmware update on the ivic might fix some of these issues?

This is not going well and is so far, a big dissapointment.
Old 11-17-14, 08:25 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear you are having issues.
Old 11-18-14, 12:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for 3 and 4, it has to do with the navigation system (touch screen). it's just how the lexus setup is. since the factory setup is more for touching and not dragging, the touch sensing is not ideal for it. like you said, it can work, you just have to practice and imho press quite hard on it. fwiw the later years with remote touch, it works a lot easier (with the same ivic unit)

for 6, you just need to make sure you get the exact compatible mhl adapter. i have run into a lot of cases where people got the mhl that don't charge. more than likely it's the compatibility issue on the mhl adapter

for 1, i personally have not seen it before. all the ones i have done the phone can be put into landscape just fine and everything is displayed on screen. for 5, i haven't used the app so far though so can't say much about it
Old 11-18-14, 04:00 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have issues too. Mainly that it does not work for long without juddering, crashing and needing a reboot.
Old 11-18-14, 04:50 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

2. I bought the exact mouse he did for $6 and it worked perfectly.

The whole thing became too much of a pain for me. Plugging it in, hoping it rotated correctly, and then when unplugging my phone, hoping it disconnected correctly. I found you almost have to use the mouse. It's too slow otherwise.
Old 11-18-14, 10:53 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Ok. I know that the Ivic-5d has a "learning curve" etc. But seriously, mine seems to be never ending.

Keep in mind that I have a Samsung Note 3

So far I've FINALLY managed to get it all set up, however a couple of problems remain and no amount of Googling or searching seems to provide any relief.

1. When my home screen is displayed on my nav screen, half (ok, 1/3) of my apps/icons don't show up on the screen. Because the newer Android systems dont allow landscape mode on the home screen, the entire bottom row of apps of that page on my phone is missing. Also, the lower row that you can place on the bottom of every screen has one of the icons only partly showing. When I look at Cjitty's youtube video with his Galaxy, all his apps are shown and he seems to have a true landscape look. According to Vaistech they will be releasing phone updates September/October 2014(behind schedule), this should help as my S5 does the same thing. There is a feature within the IVIC software that allows you to customize the landscape, haven't played with it yet.

2. I bought a bluetooth mouse that is really cool (Microsoft Arc Touch), but I can't seem to ge it to work with my Note 3. Not blaming the Ivic here, as it has nothing to do with their product. Not sure if I need to get a different mouse, but again...Cjitty got his to work with a cheap Ebay mouse....Bought the same cheap mouse, mine works fine. Although there is a button sequence that puts mouse into BT scan mode, maybe that's the problem.

3. Is the cursor on the Ivic screen supposed to be clunky and basically unusable? I expected to be able to move the cursor/pointer around the screen by dragging my finger on it. IVIC on screen basically worthless, use the mouse

4. Can't swipe the pages on my phone left and right on the ivic screen. However, there were a few ocassions where I WAS able to.Refer to above solution

5. The "Ivic Port" app is brutal. Sometimes when I unplug my phone, it stays in Landscape mode and I have to uninstall the app to get everything working again. Powering up and down does not fix it. Also, sometimes the screen will not brighten back up and requires a reboot to get that working again so I can see the screen. Making adjusrtmebnts in the app does not change the issue ("force portrait mode" etc). Yup, this sucks about the app. I ussually force close instead of uninstall. Still a PITA

6. My Samsung MHL adapter does not charge my phone. I thought it would. I need to plug an external micro usb cord into the adapter to charge.LMK, if you find a reliable one for the USB 3.0, S5 doesn't charge either

Perhaps a firmware update on the ivic might fix some of these issues?
As stated above, per Vaistech. Firmware update should have been September/October

This is not going well and is so far, a big disappointment.
Another problem I have is if the phone is unplugged with the ivic on, sometimes you need to cycle through screens in order to get the stock screens to work. If not there are gray vertical bars

Last edited by Dirteeboy; 11-18-14 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-18-14, 05:46 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Well I found a mouse to work. This piece of kit is a thing of beauty! It's a Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse T630

Now I just have to figure out a few more bugs...especially the landscape screen from my phone with the missing icons/apps and the failure of the ivicport app to restore my portrait mode after disconnecting. ARGH!

Last edited by roadfrog; 11-19-14 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-19-14, 06:13 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
Another problem I have is if the phone is unplugged with the ivic on, sometimes you need to cycle through screens in order to get the stock screens to work. If not there are gray vertical bars
Thanks Buddy. Sounds like we're in the same boat. I did a firmware update and also spent a half hour with tech support today and they acknowledged an issue with the Note 3 and the S5 (as you stated). They advised that I downoad a launcher such as Nova to customize the icon placement etc. Hopefully a firmware update will solve this once I figure out how the launcher works.