LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LED Side Mirror Install DIY with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 04:19 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
You'll love it more with the park lights hooked up. That's the part my buddy said was the difficult part I spoke of in prior postings. I didn't realize how bright the park lights were at night until last night. I was driving next to two cars at night and the white lights were just bright enough for me to see the people in the car next to me haha
LB..there are amber and white LED wire leads with these lights? If so..I might jump into this as well but wire the white lights to the puddle lamps
Old 01-12-15, 04:25 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY

LB..there are amber and white LED wire leads with these lights? If so..I might jump into this as well but wire the white lights to the puddle lamps
Nvm..I went back through thread and read the eBay description.. They have both white and amber leads.. Nice!!
Old 01-12-15, 10:04 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Nvm..I went back through thread and read the eBay description.. They have both white and amber leads.. Nice!!
Yup. I posted a video in another post about this. You can also look through my ig posts. I posted it before SEMA
Old 01-14-15, 09:19 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup. I posted a video in another post about this. You can also look through my ig posts. I posted it before SEMA
Can't get your installer to tell you where he hooked up the parking lights to, haha. Been on TIS for a while, looks like it's going to take a while figure out the wires
Old 01-15-15, 12:00 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
Can't get your installer to tell you where he hooked up the parking lights to, haha. Been on TIS for a while, looks like it's going to take a while figure out the wires
He was using a volt meter to figure out the wiring. If I ask him now 3 months later which wire it was he'll probably not remember exactly. Here's what I can tell you...when he initially hooked it up the white light stayed on all the time. Even with the car off. That had something to do with the car having constant voltage of around 6 volts even with the car off. He said it might have something to do with the system checks the car does. Once he figured that out I figure he went and found a 12 volt source that was only on when the park lights were on. I didn't delve into the details because at the time I didn't care just as long as it worked.
Old 01-19-15, 06:45 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

He was using a volt meter to figure out the wiring. If I ask him now 3 months later which wire it was he'll probably not remember exactly. Here's what I can tell you...when he initially hooked it up the white light stayed on all the time. Even with the car off. That had something to do with the car having constant voltage of around 6 volts even with the car off. He said it might have something to do with the system checks the car does. Once he figured that out I figure he went and found a 12 volt source that was only on when the park lights were on. I didn't delve into the details because at the time I didn't care just as long as it worked.
Sorry guys failed at locating the elusive parking light wire. (And wife was getting upset why my car was down so long ) I checked headlight switch harness, like lbintab said there's a slight voltage going through the harness even though headlight switch is turned off. I might just take it to a shop to get done, hopefully it doesn't cost too much since the wiring is already plumbed
Old 01-19-15, 07:15 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry guys failed at locating the elusive parking light wire. (And wife was getting upset why my car was down so long ) I checked headlight switch harness, like lbintab said there's a slight voltage going through the harness even though headlight switch is turned off. I might just take it to a shop to get done, hopefully it doesn't cost too much since the wiring is already plumbed
Yeah that's what I was saying. But he did figure it out using a volt meter
Old 01-19-15, 07:29 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Yeah that's what I was saying. But he did figure it out using a volt meter
I tried circuit test and multimeter couldn't find a wire that's dead when light switch is off and on when light switch is on
Old 01-20-15, 07:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

I tried circuit test and multimeter couldn't find a wire that's dead when light switch is off and on when light switch is on
Yep, Me neither, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking since I wasn't convinced I wanted this option. Please let us know wat you find....just in case I change my mind!
Old 01-20-15, 07:30 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Option 1) Wire a relay and trigger the negative parking lights
OPtion 2) Tap to the footwell positive wire. (Easiest method)
Old 01-20-15, 09:41 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Originally Posted by lieup
Option 1) Wire a relay and trigger the negative parking lights
OPtion 2) Tap to the footwell positive wire. (Easiest method)
Don't happen to know the wire for option 2, there's a ton of hots in the footwell
Old 01-21-15, 12:22 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

I asked my wiring guru at the shop and he doesn't quite remember exactly what he did but the shop owner thinks he may have wired in a resistor
Old 01-21-15, 07:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Don't happen to know the wire for option 2, there's a ton of hots in the footwell
By doing this though, the lights will be on all the time. Is that what you're after?

The other option, is to just run the wire to the trunk and tap into the rear parking light. I actually think this is easier than running up to the engine bay. I may do that.

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-21-15 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-21-15, 10:20 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
By doing this though, the lights will be on all the time. Is that what you're after?

The other option, is to just run the wire to the trunk and tap into the rear parking light. I actually think this is easier than running up to the engine bay. I may do that.
No I just want them to go on when the headlights are on, as I usually don't just run the parking lights.

I'm wondering if there's a wire in the harness leading to the rear of the car; I know there's the blinker wires in there.

Oh I pulled the plastic engine cover panels off, it'll be a pain to run wires from there. It's cramped as hell. The best bet would be if your changing out the headlight bulbs or fogs, it'll give you more room to tap the wires. I may go this route since I'll be trying out my new Phillips d4s and led bulbs, hahaha
Old 01-21-15, 07:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

No I just want them to go on when the headlights are on, as I usually don't just run the parking lights.

I'm wondering if there's a wire in the harness leading to the rear of the car; I know there's the blinker wires in there.

Oh I pulled the plastic engine cover panels off, it'll be a pain to run wires from there. It's cramped as hell. The best bet would be if your changing out the headlight bulbs or fogs, it'll give you more room to tap the wires. I may go this route since I'll be trying out my new Phillips d4s and led bulbs, hahaha
And so the saga continues. LOL. Each of us waiting for the other to make the first move......

Quick Reply: LED Side Mirror Install DIY with pics