LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking about exhaust mods...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 03:59 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I gotta be honest... I used to love older exhaust, nothing crazy. My Lincoln has a x pipe and dynomax mufflers .. So I get my old school kicks there.

As far as Lexus, I love the quiet ride, wish it was even more isolated. If only they could have the windshield that tones down the ugliness of every day mundane public I get to see every day, I could finally be complete , as far as cars go.

Till then.
Old 01-10-15, 04:14 PM
98sscamaro
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I don't think that is a good idea for two reasons one of which is that you don't want turbulent exiting gas flow along the path of the exhaust and the other because it is known that exhaust leaks under the car has been known to allow carbon monoxide into the cabin. You may not even smell it but it will be there and you have small kids or pets it will be a hazard because C0 saturation into the blood is quick.
If it was that easy then manufactures would have done it long ago to hide exhaust bits.
The exhaust turbulence exiting under the car has no effect, unless you have a rear diffuser, then it will provide downforce if done properly.

The CO potentially being an issue can be a concern. If you have holes under your vehicle somewhere in the trunk, that could make it a concern. You would then have to have slightly over 30% of your emissions being sucked into the car with the windows closed to be exposed to over 150ppm, which is the minimum to be a harmful level of exposure. Also, the spacer would be just behind the end of the cabin, so I think chances are slim for this being a problem. I have had it like this for 5 months and just sat in the car for 30 minutes just yesterday with it idling, windows up, and am fine. I do agree though that it is something to consider.

Anyway if it's a concern for anyone just do it as a temporary thing as I mentioned. That way you can see if you like the sound and the drone is not a problem before having your car permanently modified to something you may not like.
Old 01-11-15, 11:05 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 98sscamaro
A method I used is a trick my exhaust shop gave me years ago.

Put some nuts (as spacers) in between the exhaust flanges that bolt up right near the diff. You just need to jack up the car (make sure to support it with jack stands before getting under the car). Then disconnect the exhaust pipes, put some nuts or washers on the bolts in between the two sections of pipe and then bolt them back together. This allows most the exhaust to bypass the mufflers but not all.

This way if you like it you can leave it as it is or have it more permanently modified. If you don't like it then just put it back to stock or use smaller spacers to quiet it down. This is also obviously very cheap. 👍

Hahaha I did this when I first got my LS. It just sounds really sloppy when your turn the car on and off. I recently deleted my mufflers all together after I installed the new body kit. Below are videos of the two different sounds. First one was with the washers between the mid pipe and muffler. The second video was with the mufflers deleted.

View this post on Instagram
Old 01-12-15, 08:04 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow! sounds impressive!