LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 11:14 AM
IDALO
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
If I understand what you're describing, I considered making such a kit. But I thought it would be LOUD. Outside of what I would consider "Lexus Elegant." The sound? I would think would be spectacular. But loud. Such that my family would be pissed if I cranked it in the garage at 6 am on a Saturday morning. I made designs and almost made prototypes. But stopped after considering how loud it was going to be.

But, I look forward to pictures.
I did look into your vents, but as I was strapped for budget, I decided to try the home-brew method. the video of your vents was impressive with the amount of sound, but again I was strapped for cash. Also since I am experienced in welding (though not convincing in upcoming pics this was due to the fact that we were in a rush and the welds got a little too hot, causing some crappy fab work) I figured I'd throw caution to the wind and just try it out, as I can revert the change with just a little bit of extra material to compensate for what was lost with cutting and welding.
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (09-23-20)
Old 04-04-19, 04:32 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I am getting old, I bought my LS for different reasons than you have.
I would just buy an LC!
Old 04-05-19, 07:22 AM
IDALO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkittlesen
I am getting old, I bought my LS for different reasons than you have.
I would just buy an LC!
if I had the scratch for an LC I definitely would have taken that route, or an ISF... overall goal for my LS is VIP show car (insert hate here lol) but it's my passion. just wanted to make a little noise for the fun of it.
Old 04-05-19, 08:14 AM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

This is how I did mine and it sounds amazing! Compliments all the time.

Old 04-05-19, 09:49 AM
IDALO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Black_SC
This is how I did mine and it sounds amazing! Compliments all the time.

Pretty much exactly how mine was done, like I said before, little drone on initial acceleration to get up to speed in town, but after that... back to subtle LS goodness lol, I love the sound at WOT just need to dynamat above the factory muffler location!
Old 04-05-19, 11:29 AM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IDALO

Pretty much exactly how mine was done, like I said before, little drone on initial acceleration to get up to speed in town, but after that... back to subtle LS goodness lol, I love the sound at WOT just need to dynamat above the factory muffler location!
Yea, WOT is amazing! These cars are way to quiet stock, i needed some sort of feedback haha. I kind of want it louder but then I'm reminded i have a cammed Z06 for that haha.
Old 04-05-19, 12:17 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Another member did a similar thing on here. And it sounded AWESOME. As in the sound quality was awesome. But … it was L O U D.

Do I like the sound? Yes. But I would not want that much noise every day. Again, the family would be pissed if I fired that thing up at 6 am on Saturday.

After hearing the other member's car, I would say his was not Lexus Elegant. I'd have hear yours too. I'm not saying I think it sounds bad. I'm certain it sounds awesome. But my opinion, it's not LS 460 Elegant. Maybe for an LFA it would be appropriate. Maybe even the LC500 … maybe.

I'm looking forward to a sound clip. But I will also mention that a sound clip will probably not do the quality of your car's sound any justice.
Old 04-07-19, 03:30 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Sound deadening does nothing to cure drone. I’ve tried my self in past cars...

Drone is very common on 1UR and 2UR motors. However levels vary depending on what you have replaced.
Old 04-14-19, 03:07 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Just had my third generation axle back built. Now running Vibrant 2.5” 304 stainless mufflers reduced down to 2.25” pipe. Finally I found the recipe to cutting drone. This time I added a short tailpipe which I noticed in many overpriced JDM axle backs. In the 1700-2200RPM range my last set up droned pretty bad at anything more than 10% throttle. Now there is very little to no drone. Nothing but a V8 sound track. Quiet conversations are possible but when you hammer the throttle turn the Mark Levinson off. It does have a somewhat exotic V8 sound. I can imagine some PPE headers and a tune could would really be a difference maker. With secondarys gone and H pipe setup the tach needle climbs much faster and seems to shift harder with the F car Direct Shift transmission. The rev match down shifts are addicting and crisp paddle rowing up shifts really put that grin on your face especially in a 4400lb flagship LOL.

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 04-14-19 at 03:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VanCityLS4:
Boomin (12-24-19), FreddyG (12-24-19)
Old 04-14-19, 03:15 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

A few more

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 04-14-19 at 03:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (12-24-19)
Old 04-14-19, 06:16 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

"There's no drone" = Every forum poster to ever install any exhaust on any car in the history of the world.
Old 04-14-19, 06:54 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

We all have our perception and tolerance to frequencies of drone. In comparison to the last mufflers it’s night and day.
Old 04-14-19, 07:11 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Now there is very little to no drone
I quote my self since the salty ex BMW owner used two words from my entire sentence.
Old 04-14-19, 07:46 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

As much as I loved the sound of the exhaust note when I remove my muffs for two days, the novelty QUICKLY wore off. Drone is drone....it's not a perception. It's there or it isn't. After installing the exhaust vents, I was happy to have subtlety in the exhaust note and riddance of the drone.
Old 04-14-19, 08:55 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
I quote my self since the salty ex BMW owner used two words from my entire sentence.
Butt hurt much? I hadn't even read all the way through the whole thread, I was referring to the original OP. But glad I could get you spun up enough to make two replies. I was poking fun at the subject in general. And yes, typically people who spend a bunch of money on exhaust mods don't like to admit there's drone. I've been there myself.
And I'm not an "ex" BMW anything, current fleet.

Last edited by PwrdbyM; 04-14-19 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!