LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 09:55 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyRhino
yea. I've talked to an have been in hard core contact with the owners of several build shops an tuners around including PPE,JBA, an Flowtech. It seems as if JBA is the closes ticket but nobody's willing to take the leap lol except me. I'll keep you/youz posted. Because #I'm doing it period. For me its really a fitting issue..as anything will flow better than stock number 1, however I'm going TT like right away seriously. So initial performance of High HP an TQ I'm not shooting for because it's a TT set up. Im very Tempted to do JBA because of the hype from @dirtydeeds
If you plan on going to twin turbo's, then why spend the money on a set of headers (not going to be cheap to have a set of one off, custom built headers even if you do them in mild steel instead of stainless).

Also, if you do a twin turbo setup, who is going to tune it? The most important part of ANY F/I build is the tuning. Without the tuning to tell it what to do, it's just a bunch of parts.

Are you building the twin setup or is a shop doing it? By the way, when you typed in TT, I thought that you were talking about a twin turbo setup, but if not, then Please disregard my comments.
Old 12-24-19, 10:29 AM
GreyRhino
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
The LS and the ISF have the same block so why wouldn’t the PPE’s bolt up. The factory headers even look 99% the same. There could be some steering rack or flange clearance issues but it shouldn’t be too far off. A GS460 member had PPEs and said they only needed mild modification.
dope I hope your right! If thats the case can you please have dude hit me up with the exact part number an perhaps a pic.. I'm buying immediately. Plus I talked to "Eric" at PPE.. Several times an he said they are down to help, however no confirmation LS460 or GS460 fitment. PPE is local so whatever one dyno's the best as it sits even if it's Tundra dyno results an then secondly whatever one is cheaper between JBA an PPE.. I'll run with. So if you guys could help I'm buying immediately. But neither brand without direct Lexus guys confirming fitment especially how they over came it.
Old 09-21-20, 04:44 PM
Santa01
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please let us know how the maggies sound!
Old 09-23-20, 10:51 AM
Santa01
Rookie

please do!
Old 09-23-20, 10:53 AM
Santa01
Rookie

what did you think of the spacers for your exhaust? Did they satisfy you?
Old 09-26-20, 03:24 AM
oldred
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought my LS 460 with secondary cats, resonators, and rear mufflers removed. Factory rear mufflers had been replaced with two short straight-through glass packs.

The car had hideous drone at 1,200-2,000 rpm (right where the car spends most of its time). Wasn't too bad above 2,000 rpm, but below that awful. The car would vibrate when drone was peaking at ~1,500 rpm. Added to that, the exhaust note wasn't very nice, had loose cackly sound, and was really loud. Wake-the-kids-up loud.

I found some factory resonators from a wreck. Had them welded in and, while the boys were under there I had the crossover removed (car now has "true duals"). Drone is GONE. Super quiet at cruise now, with a nice v8 burble when I get into it.

IMO anyone who wants a louder exhaust should leave the resonators in place. Toyota knew what they were doing there (surprise surprise, the resonators stop the resonant frequencies that cause drone).

My 2c.
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (09-26-20)
Old 09-26-20, 09:15 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Did you mean anyone who wants louder should remove resonators?
Old 09-26-20, 03:31 PM
oldred
Rookie

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
Did you mean anyone who wants louder should remove resonators?
Only if by louder they mean drone. My car is still plenty loud with the resonators in.
Old 09-27-20, 09:43 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

You can get rid of drone by installing some J-pipes on the exhaust. They are also know as Heinholz chambers. If you google them, you'll see how they work because google can explain them better than I can.

They do work though because the exhaust on our Sunday/Funday car has a 3" stainless steel setup that has no mufflers or resonators in it behind a V8 and there is Zero drone with that.

The following users liked this post:
sdls (09-27-20)
Old 09-27-20, 10:28 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
You can get rid of drone by installing some J-pipes on the exhaust. They are also know as Heinholz chambers. If you google them, you'll see how they work because google can explain them better than I can.

They do work though because the exhaust on our Sunday/Funday car has a 3" stainless steel setup that has no mufflers or resonators in it behind a V8 and there is Zero drone with that.
I think they’re called helmholtz resonators? Not that it’s important but if someone’s gonna google it, it might make a difference
Old 09-29-20, 12:47 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I wonder if i screwed up by ordering 2.5" mufflers instead of 2.25". Wasnt sure what the stock ID piping is at. I assume 2.25"?
Old 11-05-20, 08:32 PM
Firstly808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahG
Our V8's sound amazing!!!

I was honestly surprised myself! You have to hear it in person,
No resonators, my mechanic told me to try the setup with the muffler delete, if more is needed, He would take of the resonators. The sound is perfect. No droning so far. I am loving it.

Wait, so you took off the resonators also? I was thinking of deleting my mufflers also on my 2013 LS460. If this is the outcome i would definitely do it now! Sounds mean!
Old 11-05-20, 09:07 PM
oldred
Rookie

Originally Posted by Firstly808
Wait, so you took off the resonators also? I was thinking of deleting my mufflers also on my 2013 LS460. If this is the outcome i would definitely do it now! Sounds mean!
Leave the resonators in if you want to listen to the radio, or talk to your passengers without shouting. Rear muffler delete is heaps - you can always take the resonators out later if you want more loud.

I’ve been there and ended up putting the resonators back in 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by oldred:
Firstly808 (11-05-20), Santa01 (11-06-20)
Old 11-05-20, 09:18 PM
Firstly808
Driver School Candidate

Rajah, ill definitely do the muffler delete. And thanks for the info! i wouldnt want it to be too loud to where in im yelling to the wife. Haha
Old 11-05-20, 09:20 PM
Firstly808
Driver School Candidate

Btw do You have a vid of just the rear muffler delete with resonators on? Just wondering.

Quick Reply: LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!