LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 12:23 PM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Then you should read the links in my signature below. By what you say, it sounds like Exhaust Vents are right up your alley.

Jason Oliver
I appreciate it thanks, but I already tried that route and am not happy with the sound nor the resonance.
Old 08-28-17, 12:28 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I don't show you as ever having purchased a set of Exhaust Vents. And, the Exhaust Vents have no resonance / no drone. So I'm confused about the route you've tried.
Old 08-28-17, 01:18 PM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

I don't show you as ever having purchased a set of Exhaust Vents. And, the Exhaust Vents have no resonance / no drone. So I'm confused about the route you've tried.
I didn't purchase vents from you, I had a spacer made. The sound wasn't prominent enough for me and came with resonance/drone that I couldn't live with. I am considering a cutout, placement will be where the factory x pipe/center chamber is.
Old 08-28-17, 04:48 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the exhaust leak mod and even an axle back section like I have do not sound very good or refined on the 460. I went with Magnaflows and 2.25" mandrel bent. I mean the sound is decent but it doesn't have much personality and is near OEM quiet when I downshift (Rev matching F Sport transmission is addicting) Ive seen videos of JDM axle back sections and feel the same way. I feel the mid pipe section does a very good job of what it's original intent was, being Lexus LS quiet. The factory resonators and H pipe hold back lots of potential I feel. Maybe the reason I see so many modded and aftermarket LS mid pipes for sale in Japan.

However I see cut outs as a cost effective solution but will it sound good?

I had this built on my LS430. Game changer in every way but it wasn't cheap.
Old 08-28-17, 04:58 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Some aftermarket mid pipe sections found on Yahoo Japan

Old 08-29-17, 09:35 AM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

I think I will have a custom section made where the two pipes meet and install a cutout. LOUD at the hit of a button.
Old 08-30-17, 06:06 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Guys - It was suggested to me to add this short video clip to the forums. My apologies if this takes iterations of editing to get it right. This is 4 Exhaust Vents stacked. I was just playing around adding them in. I like them so I left them in.

Bear in mind a few things:
  • This was recorded on my Galaxy smartphone, sitting on the ground, propped up against a pinecone,
  • I did this yesterday (8/29) as I was leaving work (I got a couple stares from my coworkers),
  • Good quality headphones or earbuds is the best way to listen,
  • 4 Exhaust Vents while cruising at low rpm are beginning to make noticeable bass, to the point it is not quite what is to be expected of a flagship luxury vehicle. It's not loud by any means (my wife does not complain, and she complains about a lot of car stuff I do), but any revs above about 1,500 and the bass goes down and it sounds great,
  • The exhaust sounds better while accelerating (under a load) versus just free revving, and lastly
  • There is no drone, even at 4 Exhaust Vents. The deep base while (what I refer to as) lugging could be the beginnings of a drone I suppose. But I've heard drone before, and this deep bass is not it. At interstate speeds, it gets quiet. Noticeable when pulling a grade, but nowhere near a drone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oliver Enterprises:
DavidinCT (09-12-17), Santa01 (09-23-20)
Old 08-30-17, 06:47 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

That sounds great!
Old 08-30-17, 06:54 AM
sdudra
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds good Jason!
Old 08-30-17, 10:27 AM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

I want to hear the rumble and crackle of a V8...
Old 08-30-17, 11:48 AM
LexJonez
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys - It was suggested to me to add this short video clip to the forums. My apologies if this takes iterations of editing to get it right. This is 4 Exhaust Vents stacked. I was just playing around adding them in. I like them so I left them in.

Bear in mind a few things:
  • This was recorded on my Galaxy smartphone, sitting on the ground, propped up against a pinecone,
  • I did this yesterday (8/29) as I was leaving work (I got a couple stares from my coworkers),
  • Good quality headphones or earbuds is the best way to listen,
  • 4 Exhaust Vents while cruising at low rpm are beginning to make noticeable bass, to the point it is not quite what is to be expected of a flagship luxury vehicle. It's not loud by any means (my wife does not complain, and she complains about a lot of car stuff I do), but any revs above about 1,500 and the bass goes down and it sounds great,
  • The exhaust sounds better while accelerating (under a load) versus just free revving, and lastly
  • There is no drone, even at 4 Exhaust Vents. The deep base while (what I refer to as) lugging could be the beginnings of a drone I suppose. But I've heard drone before, and this deep bass is not it. At interstate speeds, it gets quiet. Noticeable when pulling a grade, but nowhere near a drone.
https://youtu.be/s63vdRvHR-s
Awesome Sound......I currently have Borla XS Mufflers and I thinking about going to the S-Type for more of a aggressive sound. I am pleased with Borla, no Drone at all.
Old 08-30-17, 01:52 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LR3vsLS
I want to hear the rumble and crackle of a V8...
not much rumble or crackle here just exhaust leaks lol.

while not cheap, here is what a 460 should sound like

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 08-30-17 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-30-17, 05:22 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
not much rumble or crackle here just exhaust leaks lol.

while not cheap, here is what a 460 should sound like
VanCityLS4 - That sounds good. I suppose that is some sort of cut-out device. The first sound doesn't sound a lot different than the 2nd, except at the higher revs, and I have on decent headphones. In the first half of that video, it can be seen exhausting to the floor prior to the exhaust valences (or whatever they're called). The sound in the 2nd half of the video, I guess is going through the tailpipes and through the valence. It sounds good too. I'm not sure which way sounds best to me. I doubt the sound from the video does it justice compared to the actual sound in person, moreso when driving. I bet it would make me drool when listening to that sound while driving. I get the same feeling while listening to my Exhaust Vents.

However, it appears to me, the first part of that clip is ... just an exhaust leak! An exponentially larger "exhaust leak" than my Exhaust Vents! Mine "leaks" a small amount, in a location what ... about 18" away from where the "leak" is on that video. And that video shows it "leaking" to the floor, same as my Exhaust Vents. Except my "leak" is a heckuva lot less than what's happening in the first part of that video. The "leak" in the first part appears to be 100% of the exhaust flow. Mine is more like, maybe 5%, heck maybe less. Those that have expressed concern about having exhaust fumes going under their vehicle and getting into the vehicle should be 95% MORE concerned about that same issue with those pipes leaking 100% of the exhaust flow down like that. To be honest, some may be concerned about such a thing, but it is actually a non issue. Those fumes are post cat, and are nothing compared to what a person is exposed to from other vehicles on the road, or stuck in traffic, etc.

So, while not cheap, that is just another exhaust leak combined with not being easily reversible (and not being cheap to reverse either).

Exhaust Vents are WAY LESS EXPENSIVE, and can be snapped right back to OEM sound in a matter of minutes, at zero cost!

Based on said facts, I can understand your condescending tone regarding "leaks!" I don't take it personal though, to be sure that exhaust system on the video is ... NICE!
Old 08-30-17, 05:43 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

I prefer the sound of the vents when comparing those clips. The second clip - it sounds way too raspy and that annoying clicking/rattle sound near the top of the rev band...no thanks. Sounds a lot like the fart cans my sons friends put on their cars.
Old 08-30-17, 07:38 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

You might refer to the first part of video as a exhaust leak but I think it's just from turn downs. It is raspy in the second half probably by passing the muffler. I prefer the sound of the first part too. Weather you call that a leak it's still dumping out at the rear of the car. Much of the sound it's making is also from a upgraded mid pipes likely 2.5" diameter. Turn downs in a parkade definitely amplify the sound and only standing there in person would do it justice.

Calling it a leak is just 'calling a spade a spade' no matter what percent of exhaust fumes bleed out. Running a stack of 4 can't be much different than unbolting the entire axle back section. You don't have to defend how much pours out under the car since there's probably a small amount under every car stuck in traffic. It was not meant to be personal. Cut outs placed under the cabin is technically the same thing. One thing is for sure I definitely wouldn't call valve at the rear muffler a 'leak'..

I was trying generating conversation about upgraded exhaust specifically mid pipes. Vents or an axle back set up like I run won't sound nothing like the car above. I can however agree that everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good (see the instant and always expected above post to defend and advertise your vents lol). And really that LS sounding like and econobox with 'fart cans' ? I'll just leave it at that

I will say again there is much better sound and HP to be gained (if anyone cares) from these motors. Most won't pay for it but not everyone here is looking for the cheapest option to make thier LS460 sound different than stock.

Quick Reply: LS460 Muffler Delete. Finally!