LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 12:48 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I think the Ls460 would be just fine cruising at 140-150 mph. hell, my Ls400 feels great at 130 and its from the 90s! ive been all the way to 160 in it but it gets scary after 135ish. id think the 460 would be great at those speeds! that is, if your country permits it
Old 04-02-16, 12:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The LS is fine at those speeds. Doesn't mean it's safe to drive them on public roads without the proper experience and training.
Old 04-02-16, 02:28 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

My 1991 LS 400 was limited at 150. 130 seems low for the 460.
Old 04-02-16, 03:30 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I guess to each their own but if I was exceeding 130mph I'd like to be doing it in a car that was built/designed for it. I mean okay, so you're doing 150+mph in a luxury sedan, I'd just want something a lot more spirited that would take a turn or three as well as being able to swerve and avoid something on the road and stop in the event you'd need to do so in hurry.
Old 08-29-18, 02:47 AM
Ezlee600
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2008 ls460 was doing 130 on i95 got a ticket in Maryland going 115 car floats like a speed boat it can go faster
Old 12-31-18, 06:42 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Not to revive an old thread but I was searching for something else and came across this. I know people have concerns about the LS cornering at high speed and as for myself would never try it. But I did come across this video and was very surprised as to how the LS actually behaved under these maneuvers.
Old 01-01-19, 04:26 PM
LeePowers
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SARD racing

Look into SARD Racing's CUVU Evolution. It appears to be a plug n play limit cutter. Seems to be worth it,despite me not trying it yet. Might be the only worthy mod for our cars,if compatible with USA models That and the Toms/Blitz Throttle Controllers.
it's a SARD product,so I would trust it.
Probably after I trade up to an L,will I cop it.
Get one,run it at a runway event,and report back!!
I've always wondered how "that one" hit 175 on the Autobahn when hardly any mods were available. In Whose book is 175 slow? I'll take it!
0.26 drag coefficient certainly helps!

Old 01-01-19, 10:17 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a Mercedes E200 as a rental in Germany in October. It cruised effortlessly as 120 mph and the highest speed I had room for got me to 136 mph. The problem with the autobahn is that traffic and construction really stymie driving at speeds over 120 mph. I honestly think American interstates have faster average speeds over distance. I drove from Frankfurt to Munich to Berlin, and to Paris, and back to Frankfurt. The biggest difference between there and here is that people in Germany KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. There is no reason the LS460 could not run at 155mph like the rest of the cars in Germany. If a V6 E200 can do it, an LS certainly could.
Old 01-02-19, 01:14 PM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
I had a Mercedes E200 as a rental in Germany in October. It cruised effortlessly as 120 mph and the highest speed I had room for got me to 136 mph. The problem with the autobahn is that traffic and construction really stymie driving at speeds over 120 mph. I honestly think American interstates have faster average speeds over distance. I drove from Frankfurt to Munich to Berlin, and to Paris, and back to Frankfurt. The biggest difference between there and here is that people in Germany KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. There is no reason the LS460 could not run at 155mph like the rest of the cars in Germany. If a V6 E200 can do it, an LS certainly could.
Agreed. I drove from Heidelberg up to Rotterdam and it was difficult to get going very quick due to traffic nearly the entire way. Attempting to hit 100 would be tough in most spots and no way I would have attempted much more than that in the conditions I had that day.
Old 01-02-19, 01:16 PM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I cant agree more. There are a lot of cars that can have the potential with gearing and horsepower to go well over ridiculous speeds but it's extremely dangerous even for a professional driver without the aerodynamics and a smooth road. If you have to tap the brakes at those speeds the car will unsettle and you will lose control in a blink of an eye. The guys on the Autobahn have to pass a much more stringent test to drive those speeds for good reason..
This is simply not true. I had my Hyundai Genesis up over 140mph on straightaways and actually had to brake somewhat hard (140 > 80ish) due to changing traffic conditions and the car stayed true.... and it's significantly smaller/lighter than the LS460.

I had my LS460 up to 120-125mph no problem on a long straightaway with extended times over 110 with zero issues (wide open divided kentucky highway with excellent surface conditions). The car handles fantastically (no air / sport mode). Tapping the brakes would in no way destabilize the vehicle at those speeds.
Old 10-03-19, 05:32 PM
Drw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy 130 plus

The LS 460 is more streamlined than the LS 400 or 430. The early LS 400 models were track driven at high speeds on banked turn ovals for 500k miles by professional drivers , coming in for fuel, oil change and basic maintenance to prove the reliability of the new line of cars

The LS 460 easily cruises at 100 mph. The speed restriction of 130 or 133 mph may have to do with insurance in the United States and with the exception of Montana or a private track, there aren't really many areas that you could you could safely drive 130 mph or 160 mph. The regular LS 460 would still be solid at 150 mph in a straight line, but the newer F Sport model LS 460 is more dialed in to operate at higher speeds with a tighter suspension.

The great thing about Lexus is that you can drive an LS 460 300-400k miles and more with just regular maintenance. While BMW and Mercedes build a great looking car with initial quality being good, at the 10 year mark most of them are endless money pits. My 07 460 with 115k runs and feels like it's new. Same for the Tundra.

Granted, there have been a few recall items, but Lexus and Toyota have always been very good at customer service. Not perfect, but far superior to other car companies I've dealt with.
Old 10-03-19, 08:34 PM
pyroluv
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aaauae
Hello guys i got a LS460 a while back , its amazing , except for only one reason in gcc models we dont have speed limiters and can go till 280 kmh , but i got a US spec which is faster and more power but the speed is limited till 220 ish . Which is slow for us .

Is there a way to unlock the spee like a tune or anything ?
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/...item/10011143/

This is what u want
Old 10-04-19, 09:34 AM
Drw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FunFact
The 2014+ S550 is showing itself to be a very good car, even long-term. Same for the Porsche Panamera. Don't baselessly bash cars just to make you feel better about having an LS, especially when the LS can be just as expensive, or more expensive with the control arm replacements, to own long-term.

Based on my experience of owning both German and Japanese cars, it's not even close when you compare ownership costs over 10-20 years with a Lexus vs a Mercedes or BMW.

If you want to go back to a BMW 2002 model, it's a great car. If you want to lease a BMW, that's fine. However you can pick up a $100k Mercedes that's 10 years old at auction for $11k and unless you're like me and can work on it,
it's an endless money pit.

Your experience may be different than mine so we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 10-04-19, 07:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
The 2014+ S550 is showing itself to be a very good car, even long-term. Same for the Porsche Panamera. Don't baselessly bash cars just to make you feel better about having an LS, especially when the LS can be just as expensive, or more expensive with the control arm replacements, to own long-term.
No amount of control arm replacements will make an LS more expensive to own long term than an S550, or even just as expensive lol. S550 is a great car, a better car...but it will absolutely be more expensive to maintain when it gets older.
The following users liked this post:
GhostfaceK (04-30-20)
Old 10-05-19, 05:24 PM
Drw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No amount of control arm replacements will make an LS more expensive to own long term than an S550, or even just as expensive lol. S550 is a great car, a better car...but it will absolutely be more expensive to maintain when it gets older.

Agree, the S550 is a great car, I'd also rate it a better car new than the LS. However, walk up to the Lexus or Mercedes parts counter and buy an OEM brake master cylinder or a windshield wiper motor or even a stereo amplifier and you're talking some serious coin. There may be exceptions, but I've never seen parts for an S class Mercedes (OEM), be less than a comparable LS part. However, the S class is (in my opinion) is a step or two above the LS in pretty much every category.
If I didn't have to pay for the parts, I'd much rather drive the Audi S-8, Mercedes S class. However, given that I sometimes drive cars 500k miles or more, Lexus/Toyota offer the most reliable vehicles with the fewest repairs.

One regret is selling a 1969 911S.... The Lexus SC 500 is a far nicer car, but it will never have the collectible status that the 69 911 has.
Sure you can go aftermarket with radiators and certain parts and save a lot of money, but most Japanese cars usually require fewer repairs as they age. On some other Lexus models you have Toyota model parts that are available, but not for the LS as there is no USA Toyota model equivalent. Some of the older Japanese cars are (in my opinion) superior in build quality to today's models. Purchased a 1989 Nissan Maxima SE, 5 speed in 1989 and just done regular maintenance and replaced a few fuel injectors and it has 465,000 miles on it and is just keeps going.... it refuses to die and could leave the keys in it as most auto thieves couldn't drive a manual and/or wouldn't be seen in a 30 year old Nissan.

Quick Reply: LS460 speed limiter