LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 02:28 AM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS460 speed limiter

Hello guys i got a LS460 a while back , its amazing , except for only one reason in gcc models we dont have speed limiters and can go till 280 kmh , but i got a US spec which is faster and more power but the speed is limited till 220 ish . Which is slow for us .

Is there a way to unlock the spee like a tune or anything ?
Old 01-10-15, 05:26 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Too slow?!?!.. Y'all trying to kill yourselves lol...maybe time for a supercar bro :-)
Old 01-10-15, 06:31 AM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Too slow?!?!.. Y'all trying to kill yourselves lol...maybe time for a supercar bro :-)
Haha , the thing here road speed limits are like 140 /160kmh , so we drive around 200+ and slow down on speed cameras ,

But is there a way to get rid of the limiter ?
Old 01-10-15, 08:13 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

The car is governed at 130. Not that I know from experiece or anything. Knowing Lexus, its probably a combination of GPS, speedometer and gear/tach combinations that govern the car. If theyre using any 2 of 3, then it might be very hard to override.
My bike comes with a governer that knows when its in 6th gear and when it reaches a certain RPM, it stops accelerating. Based on gear and RPM, they knew how fast the bike should be going. To override this, something was made that fools the ECU into thinking that its in 5th gear therefore continues accelerating. If they have anything like this in the car, then its possible to override. The hardpart would be finding which of the 3 there are.
Old 01-10-15, 09:21 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 344 Likes on 262 Posts

Forgetabout an LS. Git u one of these:
Old 01-10-15, 11:07 AM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also like to know a work around.
Old 01-10-15, 11:23 AM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Tom's Racing japan makes a Speel limit cut module that may work for the LS460. I don't have the details, but you could reach out to the JDM vendors for more info.

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/products...hp?typeID=2110

I think HKS makes something similar as well.
Old 01-10-15, 11:36 AM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fly_s2k
I believe Tom's Racing japan makes a Speel limit cut module that may work for the LS460. I don't have the details, but you could reach out to the JDM vendors for more info.

Excellent find thanks
Old 01-10-15, 12:57 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Even if you are going in a straight line neither the aerodynamics, the brakes nor the suspension of the LS460 are suitable for speeds over 120 mph (190 kph). And if you are going to actually have to take curves at those speeds, you are in serious trouble.

As RZ stated, you need a different car for those speeds.
Old 01-10-15, 01:28 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Even if you are going in a straight line neither the aerodynamics, the brakes nor the suspension of the LS460 are suitable for speeds over 120 mph (190 kph). And if you are going to actually have to take curves at those speeds, you are in serious trouble.

I cant agree more. There are a lot of cars that can have the potential with gearing and horsepower to go well over ridiculous speeds but it's extremely dangerous even for a professional driver without the aerodynamics and a smooth road. If you have to tap the brakes at those speeds the car will unsettle and you will lose control in a blink of an eye. The guys on the Autobahn have to pass a much more stringent test to drive those speeds for good reason.

The biggest problem with this speed limit discussion is that many want to indirectly allude to doing it on the street which is dangerous to all those that share the road. What's even more reckless is that some of you have already posted your intentions which can be used against you in a court of law as well as those that show people how may be indirectly culpable. You will be surprised how many peoples posts gets used as evidence these days even in the cases of warranty claims. Diving at those speeds is a recipe for manslaughter.
Old 01-10-15, 05:45 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
The car is governed at 130. Not that I know from experiece or anything. Knowing Lexus, its probably a combination of GPS, speedometer and gear/tach combinations that govern the car. If theyre using any 2 of 3, then it might be very hard to override.
My bike comes with a governer that knows when its in 6th gear and when it reaches a certain RPM, it stops accelerating. Based on gear and RPM, they knew how fast the bike should be going. To override this, something was made that fools the ECU into thinking that its in 5th gear therefore continues accelerating. If they have anything like this in the car, then its possible to override. The hardpart would be finding which of the 3 there are.
Originally Posted by fly_s2k

I'm not sayin i AGREE with you guys... all I'm sayin is....... GROUP BUY!!!!!!

just go ahead an take my money........
The following users liked this post:
twillis (10-15-19)
Old 04-02-16, 09:15 AM
lovethels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

I respectfully disagree. The LS460 drives wonderfully at 130.

Very smooth and in control (my air suspension is lowered and I set the car to sport mode). Of course I only do this on a private race track. Did it yesterday and car drove amazing and effortless to 130. The car even shifts down two gears when accelerating from 120 to 130! My LS460 slows down to 100 and then way way down to 80 smoothly. Be sure your control arms are tight. I have the touring package with larger rotors all around. Keep it legal and keep it safe. Cheers
Old 04-02-16, 09:24 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bombing down a straight road, the car feels great at triple digits. Even with sport package, while impressive for such a large vehicle the threat of it breaking loose catastrophically is always there...
Old 04-02-16, 11:27 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Youtube has videos of the car approaching 175mph. This car would have no issues going to at least 155 like the Germans. The 130 speed limiter is way too low.
Old 04-02-16, 12:25 PM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

My two cents:
My 600h is limited to 250 kph (155mph) and it runs smooth at those speeds, The speedo shows 270kph and my GPS on my phone shows 256kph.
When the limiter kicks in the Kilowatts meter shows about 250KW, so i still have 85KW (max 335KW sytem power)
If you have air the car lowers itself at 123kph to make it more stable and aerodynamic.

Quick Reply: LS460 speed limiter