LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS 460 Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 06:25 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

doesn't sound like a rattle from the brake pads. it sounds more like something is loose. was it making that noise prior to the brake job? if not, i'd take it back to your friend and let him look it over. just curious because you said it took two hours, but did he remove the calipers by any chance?
Old 02-10-15, 06:47 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgameover
doesn't sound like a rattle from the brake pads. it sounds more like something is loose. was it making that noise prior to the brake job? if not, i'd take it back to your friend and let him look it over. just curious because you said it took two hours, but did he remove the calipers by any chance?
Yes, Calipers were moved off and no, there wasn't that rattle before the brake job.
Old 02-11-15, 06:28 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Originally Posted by USCRugby
Yes, Calipers were moved off and no, there wasn't that rattle before the brake job.
i take this answer as he did remove the calipers, which was not needed to change out brake pads. i'd get him to double check everything again because something definitely sounds loose. good luck
Old 02-11-15, 07:32 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgameover
i take this answer as he did remove the calipers, which was not needed to change out brake pads. i'd get him to double check everything again because something definitely sounds loose. good luck
Well that sucks. LOL

So the calipers aren't even need to be removed? Hell, that's what took the majority of the time!
Old 02-11-15, 09:08 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Well that sucks. LOL

So the calipers aren't even need to be removed? Hell, that's what took the majority of the time!
No need as the pads slides out after you remove the lock clip and two pins that keeps the pads in place.
Old 02-12-15, 11:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

When you say "removed" the calipers, understand that by that definition, we're talking about actually disconnecting the brake fluid lines from the caliper and placing them aside. You do not need to do that to replace the pads, but you do need to MOVE the calipers off of the rotor to place the pads into them. I hope that makes sense. If he disconnected and removed the calipers to replace the pads, you may want to seek out a new friend to do any future work for you.
Old 02-12-15, 09:46 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
When you say "removed" the calipers, understand that by that definition, we're talking about actually disconnecting the brake fluid lines from the caliper and placing them aside. You do not need to do that to replace the pads, but you do need to MOVE the calipers off of the rotor to place the pads into them. I hope that makes sense. If he disconnected and removed the calipers to replace the pads, you may want to seek out a new friend to do any future work for you.
Thank you for clearing that up. They just removed from calipers off of the rotor and didn't disconnect anything.

Yes, on the friend. Next time I'll just have them order the pads directly to their store and have them install it.
Old 02-17-15, 12:00 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

I have lifetime alignment at Firestone and asked them to look at the brakes free of charge. They couldn't find anything wrong with it either.
Old 02-22-15, 10:45 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Does anyone think the break pads are causing the rattling?
Old 02-23-15, 04:26 AM
tirengolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the anti rattle clips on the pads, I, my shop , does 5 to 10 brake services a day. You may need to pull the pads off and slide them out pull the anti ratlle clips off and bend them back to there original shape. Over time and in the process of removing the pads they were probably bent , you can always buy new rattle clips. The brakes on that vehicle carries somewhere between 5 to 12 lbs of drag at all times. You can try this before you remove brakes,Take the wheel off and bump around the caliper with your hand or lightly tap areas with hammer "very very lightly" and see if you can duplicate the noise, this should be very straightforward. One other thing I would touch on real quick to other posters is this, I have a shop my dad opened in 1961 , crazy busy, the insurance world is coming down on us hard, I install or did customer parts for years and still pick and choose a few, i have actually been a recommended installer for "Tire Rack" since 1994 so I do not mind installing other products. My insurance company , I will not name them but one of the top 5 commercial lines, sent me a questioner 6 months ago and wanted to know this, do I install or sell used tires, do I sell or install used parts, do i install customers tires, and do I install customer parts. I know some shops are just jackasses about this although I did a expert witness testimony against a big corporation "largest in US" . Quick scenario, young guy bought 4 used tires from a salvage yard, took to retailer to have mounted, tire vin was 2301, over 10 years old, kid mounting tires notices bad weather crack gets manager the manager says mount them, " and testified to this in depositions, this retailer will not sell used tires but will mount a customer bring in, I do not understand that" kid leaves ,3 days latter ,going to college down interstate left front tire separates crosses medium 1 killed 1 badly injured he was ok , He was driving a 3 series BMW other car was a saturn suv. Well 11 million later it was settled out of court , so they ask me as a creditable tire store and repair shop owner this, would you Mr!!! as a shop owner have mounted those tires, I said absolutely not , he looks at me and says Thank You!!. It was a unfortunate case with a sad ending where lives were lost. So to answer the shop installing customer parts, I think , me only, we will see insurance companies really cracking down on this because of there liability, it is a sue world sometimes rightfully so and sometimes a shame. I do see both sides.Sorry for the ramble ,you guys have a good week.
Old 02-23-15, 07:24 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tirengolf
Sounds like the anti rattle clips on the pads, I, my shop , does 5 to 10 brake services a day. You may need to pull the pads off and slide them out pull the anti ratlle clips off and bend them back to there original shape. Over time and in the process of removing the pads they were probably bent , you can always buy new rattle clips. The brakes on that vehicle carries somewhere between 5 to 12 lbs of drag at all times. You can try this before you remove brakes,Take the wheel off and bump around the caliper with your hand or lightly tap areas with hammer "very very lightly" and see if you can duplicate the noise, this should be very straightforward. One other thing I would touch on real quick to other posters is this, I have a shop my dad opened in 1961 , crazy busy, the insurance world is coming down on us hard, I install or did customer parts for years and still pick and choose a few, i have actually been a recommended installer for "Tire Rack" since 1994 so I do not mind installing other products. My insurance company , I will not name them but one of the top 5 commercial lines, sent me a questioner 6 months ago and wanted to know this, do I install or sell used tires, do I sell or install used parts, do i install customers tires, and do I install customer parts. I know some shops are just jackasses about this although I did a expert witness testimony against a big corporation "largest in US" . Quick scenario, young guy bought 4 used tires from a salvage yard, took to retailer to have mounted, tire vin was 2301, over 10 years old, kid mounting tires notices bad weather crack gets manager the manager says mount them, " and testified to this in depositions, this retailer will not sell used tires but will mount a customer bring in, I do not understand that" kid leaves ,3 days latter ,going to college down interstate left front tire separates crosses medium 1 killed 1 badly injured he was ok , He was driving a 3 series BMW other car was a saturn suv. Well 11 million later it was settled out of court , so they ask me as a creditable tire store and repair shop owner this, would you Mr!!! as a shop owner have mounted those tires, I said absolutely not , he looks at me and says Thank You!!. It was a unfortunate case with a sad ending where lives were lost. So to answer the shop installing customer parts, I think , me only, we will see insurance companies really cracking down on this because of there liability, it is a sue world sometimes rightfully so and sometimes a shame. I do see both sides.Sorry for the ramble ,you guys have a good week.
I totally understand where the local shops are coming from. Everyone is looking to SUE. Where can I purchase these anti ratlle clips online?
Old 02-23-15, 01:01 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I totally understand where the local shops are coming from. Everyone is looking to SUE. Where can I purchase these anti ratlle clips online?
They're OEM Lexus parts. Go to Sewell Lexus online, register with your CL forum name and there's CL forum pricing. You can get the shims also

For me, I know it was my pads/rattle clips that was causing the rattle over rough roads, etc. When I gently apply the brakes and ride it a little, the rattle disappeared.
The verification was when I changed my brakes to BBK... rattles gone now

Last edited by 1Putt; 02-23-15 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-27-15, 04:16 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had this same rattling problem. I have read many, I mean many posts about this topic. I have taken my brakes apart and tried various things. And what I have found. That annoying little rattle many cars have... You bet it is the brake pads. At first I was like really. But I have tried 4 different experiments with switching sides on the car, using old worn out brake hardware, no hardware, and new hardware. I has able to make the sound and move it around in my car. What the cause is, well it's actually the shoes bouncing. There are a small wire, or clip that mounts to each brake shoe. By install no clip, worn clips, and new clips, I was able to prove this. As well as I now can change my brakes at NASCAR speeds. I can explain further if needed. I found this discussion on so many sites, please pad the word.
Old 04-27-15, 05:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsober1
I have had this same rattling problem. I have read many, I mean many posts about this topic. I have taken my brakes apart and tried various things. And what I have found. That annoying little rattle many cars have... You bet it is the brake pads. At first I was like really. But I have tried 4 different experiments with switching sides on the car, using old worn out brake hardware, no hardware, and new hardware. I has able to make the sound and move it around in my car. What the cause is, well it's actually the shoes bouncing. There are a small wire, or clip that mounts to each brake shoe. By install no clip, worn clips, and new clips, I was able to prove this. As well as I now can change my brakes at NASCAR speeds. I can explain further if needed. I found this discussion on so many sites, please pad the word.
So how did you fix it?
Old 04-27-15, 06:08 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
So how did you fix it?
I bought a brake hardware kit from ebay. Centric parts 117.44085. Installed new hardware. The thing that did it was Installing small wire clips on the brake pads. That clips fills the gap between the caliper and the shoe and hold the show in there tight. Really easy fix for a problem that has been killing me

Quick Reply: 2008 LS 460 Brake Question