LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Hard Drive replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 12:43 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 338 Posts

Thanks Greg I did not know that.

But my question would be why? I have a 160 gig iPod that travels with us in the Lexus which is what we use as I do not have a smart phone.

Dennis
Old 12-10-15, 03:53 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I also keep an iPhone loaded with music and have a Verizon Mifi in the car, but it is nice to not have to turn anything else on and just switch to HDD and play stuff. Obviously I have my favorite stuff on the Harddrive. It is handy.
Old 12-10-15, 07:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by andyville
hmmm.... why would they stop including it? Given all the problems with trying to play music from a USB drive through the ML system, it sure would be nice to have a hard drive like my M5 had!
They got rid of it for the 2010 model year when they incorporated the USB input. Now you can use your ipod/iphone or any USB MP3 player (not sure what problems you are referring to). Kinda made the HDD redundant.
Old 12-10-15, 07:34 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

So it looks like a standard HD that should be easily cloned. The Tivo people used to put HD images online so DIYers could replace the original drives with higher capacity drives. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I cloned three or four of them and made an exact copy of one that was starting to fail as well.

There are dozens of cloning programs out there that should be able to do it, but without an image, it's just a $30 hard drive. What Lexus is undoubtedly charging for is the software on the drive, not the drive itself.

I can't believe no one offers a refurb with a core exchange for a couple hundred bucks.

It's good to know this information now that I'm shopping for an '07 or '08! I just knocked $1000 off the price.
Old 12-11-15, 07:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mannye
So it looks like a standard HD that should be easily cloned. The Tivo people used to put HD images online so DIYers could replace the original drives with higher capacity drives. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I cloned three or four of them and made an exact copy of one that was starting to fail as well.

There are dozens of cloning programs out there that should be able to do it, but without an image, it's just a $30 hard drive. What Lexus is undoubtedly charging for is the software on the drive, not the drive itself.

I can't believe no one offers a refurb with a core exchange for a couple hundred bucks.

It's good to know this information now that I'm shopping for an '07 or '08! I just knocked $1000 off the price.
Sounds like you might have a business idea!

So if cloning is possible, why not do this onto an SSD instead of an HDD? I love the SSD I installed on my home system.....ridiculously fast.
Old 12-11-15, 07:52 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Cloning it may not be an issue, my problem is taking the chance with $1000 to test it. That's my only issue. The only thing needed to use an SSD provided the cloning worked would be an IDE to SSD converter. But even with that there is a chance this is meant to recognize only a certain HDD.
Old 12-11-15, 08:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

my problem is taking the chance with $1000 to test it
Pffft....couple of OT's! LOL
Old 12-18-15, 11:39 AM
Steve748
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wilkesmann
Hi Steve,

thanks a lot for your manual instructions, what a work! I deeply appreciate it. And what a poor Lexus Support to sell you an old software. However better than the non working unit with the "A program cannot...." display.

By the way: Did you see that on your new HDD that shows warranty void if any label ..... 18MAR14.
Guess that this problem is very well know by Lexus and they keep replacement HDD's ready.

I'll request the HDD at Lexus Switzerland or Germany if they sell it, It seems to be a lot of work. Or I try t cone it, when I have a free covered and heated home Parking lot (In Switzerland its rather cold now)

Thanks again, with early Season's greetings and best wishes for the New Year!

from Switzerland
Kurt
Kurt,

Thank you for your warmest regards! I agree with you in waiting for a heated garage. This job would be no fun in the cold and would probably lead to many cracked trim panels and clips. I hope that you have success with however you pursue this project. It was certainly a learning experience for me and I'm still debating whether it was worth all the time I put into it; both mental and physical. Although having $1k in my pocket vs the dealer's is always a nice thing. Enjoy your Holiday season!

With regards from the U.S.

Steve
Old 07-22-16, 07:19 AM
Luckyoreo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve748
But the problem is not so much getting to it, it's getting the new one programmed. From what I'm reading, it costs $1600 for a HDD from Lexus. This is a HDD that can be bought for $60 on Amazon. So the dealer is in essence marking up the unit $1500 which is ridiculous if you ask me. So I pulled mine out took pictures and put it back together. I'm still driving with a blank screen. If anyone knows how to program a new HDD please let us all know!!!
This is not correct. The hard drives are actually an expensive hard drive. They are automotive temp parts which are rated for extreme temp operation. I believe it's operating temp was from -30 to 85 degrees C or something close to those numbers. I can't quite remember the part name/number for the drive but when I looked the part up about 6 months ago, I couldn't find the exact part but I did find a refurbished 20gig version of the same drive and it was still about $500. If you use a generic drive from newegg or amazon it will likely fail due not being able to operate in the summer heat.
Old 07-22-16, 10:48 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyoreo
This is not correct. The hard drives are actually an expensive hard drive. They are automotive temp parts which are rated for extreme temp operation. I believe it's operating temp was from -30 to 85 degrees C or something close to those numbers. I can't quite remember the part name/number for the drive but when I looked the part up about 6 months ago, I couldn't find the exact part but I did find a refurbished 20gig version of the same drive and it was still about $500. If you use a generic drive from newegg or amazon it will likely fail due not being able to operate in the summer heat.
Yes, temps would be an issue, because even enterprise class HDs and SSDs installed in server systems and datacenters have specific cooling requirements etc.

Now if the LS460s' A/C system could channel cold air onto a more generic drive, that would be different.

And I thought our drives were expensive (I work for Dell Enterprise Solutions)!

Old 07-22-16, 07:33 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ahh, like some kittens in a bag...
Of course HDD is replaceable. I think oem is hitachi unit (40gb or so).
You need to use HDAT2 utility to unlock the original drive etc. (drive will be autolocked by the car so dont worry about relocking a new one).
To clone the drive only winhex is good.
After using hdat2 to unlock the drive will appear in windows explorer.
Instructions are out there on the interweb. Folk are updating the maps in those HDD units for free nowadays.
Look for 'prius hdd nav update' or something. The prius crowd found this thing.
Toodle-pip

edit: http://prius-club.su/index.php/topic,1569.0.html - in russian or something but describes the procedure correctly. My guess - yes, ssd can be used (yay).

Last edited by Lynzoid; 07-22-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 07:19 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

who knows how to read russian? I need to replace my HD on my 2007.. never buying 1st year model cars again...
Old 06-28-17, 09:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

I don't think that its a "first year" issue, just bad luck. The Hitachi Endurastar drive - the one Lexus uses - is the best drive for the application (not counting SLC SSD drives, which weren't available back then). The 30Gb drive is no longer available but you can get them on e-bay. I also believe the 80Gb drive will work (but I don't think you can use the full capacity).
Old 06-28-17, 10:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
who knows how to read russian? I need to replace my HD on my 2007.. never buying 1st year model cars again...
Agree with Keith. Bad luck. I don't think my 08 is any different than the '07, and it hasn't caused me any grief that's unique to a first model year.
Old 06-28-17, 10:47 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fprius-club.su%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C1569.4890.html%3FPHPSESSID%3Di7ej5lkv4c28p8siocvgvl84m4&edit-text=&act=url

There is the page translated.
Also its a 2007, which makes the harddrive 10 years old. Thats not too bad considering.

Quick Reply: LS 460 Hard Drive replacement