LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Hard Drive replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 10:49 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Agree with Keith. Bad luck. I don't think my 08 is any different than the '07, and it hasn't caused me any grief that's unique to a first model year.
07 and 08 is a year apart.. i actually bought this car in 2006.. so it's first batch of cars made
brake, interior, engine, electronics issues but most fixed under warranty and recalls...

hmmmm... trying to figure out at what angle i should approach this hard drive problem..
can't find any used hard drives on eBay. booooo
Old 06-28-17, 10:50 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by greg3852
yea... i tried google translate already.. i guess i get about 70% of what they are saying.. but don't want to tackle this unless i am 90% what da heck is going on.
Old 06-28-17, 11:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
07 and 08 is a year apart.. i actually bought this car in 2006.. so it's first batch of cars made
brake, interior, engine, electronics issues but most fixed under warranty and recalls...

hmmmm... trying to figure out at what angle i should approach this hard drive problem..
can't find any used hard drives on eBay. booooo
Yes, I realize that.My point was that there was no difference between the HD's on an 07 or 08 (or 09 for that matter).
Old 06-28-17, 11:40 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus-HDD-GEN6-08HDD-Map-2016-2017-Ver-2-40-GB-HITACHI-Endurastar-/142417637300?hash=item2128c0afb4:g:dscAAOSw~gRVrVlk&vxp=mtr

You'll need a US map update, too ($200).
Old 06-28-17, 12:07 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

oh.. very nice.. i wonder if Gen6 HDD works on a Gen5 HDD.. darn.
Old 06-28-17, 06:22 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus...RVrVlk&vxp=mtr

You'll need a US map update, too ($200).
WOW, if I could buy a US HD with the newest NAVI update and a 2tb drive to fill with music (with the newest gracenote) for $99, I'd be all over it. Looking over youtube to remove the navi system, you don't have to pull the glove box, but, the center console needs to come all apart but, does not look too bad if needed (a few hour job)

I wonder if there is any licensing issues to deal with, like serial numbers for cars for versions, etc. I personally have a Lexus part # PT219-HDDG5-13 (2013 USB navi update), that I explained here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9910049

Would love to find a way to get this installed (my car has 2007 update on it, so it NEEDS a update)....
The following users liked this post:
Especen (07-06-17)
Old 07-03-17, 05:34 AM
Steve748
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
WOW, if I could buy a US HD with the newest NAVI update and a 2tb drive to fill with music (with the newest gracenote) for $99, I'd be all over it. Looking over youtube to remove the navi system, you don't have to pull the glove box, but, the center console needs to come all apart but, does not look too bad if needed (a few hour job)

I wonder if there is any licensing issues to deal with, like serial numbers for cars for versions, etc. I personally have a Lexus part # PT219-HDDG5-13 (2013 USB navi update), that I explained here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9910049

Would love to find a way to get this installed (my car has 2007 update on it, so it NEEDS a update)....
check post #23 in this thread. I went through the same issue you're having. I attached a PDF of how I replaced mine to post #23.
Old 07-03-17, 06:12 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve748
check post #23 in this thread. I went through the same issue you're having. I attached a PDF of how I replaced mine to post #23.
Mine is fine, as of now, I just wanted it updated..
Old 07-03-17, 08:01 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The SSD route is great for durability in general but the speed will not be significantly better because of the connection into the actual logic board. There is no reason why you cannot use your own drive as a replacement as long as the partitions are named and formatted correctly. Audi guys have done the same thing. Also, the firmware most likely does not dictate partition size but rather the type / name. On the Audi MMI setup there are multiple partitions that are needed and cloned. Not sure for Lexus but it should not be very difficult to do.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 07-03-17 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 09:02 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
The SSD route is great for durability in general but the speed will not be significantly better because of the connection into the actual logic board. There is no reason why you cannot use your own drive as a replacement as long as the partitions are named and formatted correctly. Audi guys have done the same thing. Also, the firmware most likely does not dictate partition size but rather the type / name. On the Audi MMI setup there are multiple partitions that are needed and cloned. Not sure for Lexus but it should not be very difficult to do.
Yea, I guess if there was a way to get a inexpensive update for the NAVI/Gracenote update in say an Acronis format, it would be worth maybe dumping a off the shelf 250gb SSD in or even a 2tb 2.5" drive. It's not a 10 min job to pull the navi system out... Although it's easier than some people have said (look it up on youtube), it's a day project, not a short after work project. So unless it was broken or a real tested confirmed update, I would not even think about it.

Just like in major consoles (Xbox etc), moving from HD to a SSD will make minor improvements in most areas. The software was designed for the delay of the system, so the menus give an animation to show for time of it, and having a mid to super fast drive would make that much difference.

I think the Music HD storage is worthless if it could only pull it's data from the Gracenote system, I prefer custom CDs with CD text, playing the disc will show it's name or every song fine but, as soon as I rip it there is no data. If I could connect a blue-tooth keboard to type names in, that would be one thing but, typing them on the screen, NFW....
Old 07-03-17, 11:42 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If the stock drive is only 4200 or 5400 rpm you will definitely see some improvement going to 7200 or ssd but as noted on the Audi forums going from stock to ssd saw only very minor improvements in the head unit. The hardware inside the unit is most likely the most limiting factor in regards to overall speed. Probably a SATA I or II connection inside the units.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 07-03-17 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 12:05 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
If the stock drive is only 5400 rpm you will definitely see some improvement going to 7200 or ssd but as noted on the Audi forums going from stock to ssd saw only very minor improvements in the head unit. The hardware inside the unit is most likely the most limiting factor in regards to overall speed. Probably a SATA I or II connection inside the units.
Not that I disagree with you or anything. I would bet it's sata 1, if not PATA (if you look at the PDF on post #23 of this thread, it sure looks like a PATA drive). I work in IT, and where I have been for 20+ years, so I know the differences a 5400 vs. 7200 vs. SSD performance differences.

Maybe it's me, I don't think the system is really slow by any means, Navi system works fine, changing to CD/SAT/FM seems to be reasonably quick, even playing music off the HD seems to be reasonable in speed. Not enough to warrant a SSD upgrade, as it's almost fast enough, it will only get a hair better overall on a system that seems fine.

And trust me when it comes to computers, everything has to be quick, and every computer I have has a SSD in it...even have one in my work computer (and no one else on my team does)
Old 07-03-17, 12:26 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Not that I disagree with you or anything. I would bet it's sata 1, if not PATA (if you look at the PDF on post #23 of this thread, it sure looks like a PATA drive).
It's ATA-5 - remember, this is 2005-2006 technology!
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (07-05-17)
Old 07-03-17, 01:51 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by sktn77a
It's ATA-5 - remember, this is 2005-2006 technology!
Yea, ATA (ATA 1 through 7), IDE, or as it's referred to now, PATA (Parallel ATA). Old school stuff,

Can you even get a SSD in a ATA/PATA ?

Gee....I guess you can.. and up to a 512gb (dam that's expensive !)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SSD&Submit=ENE
Old 09-20-17, 09:18 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

As pointed out earlier, HDD seems to have an ATA Lock password as wrote in this thread on the GS forum (at least on newer HDD): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...th-an-ssd.html
Someone managed to use an old trick I recall using on a first gen XBOX to unlock the hard drive in order to hack it to run unsigned app, which was the hot swap method. You boot the drive so the car unlock it, then remove it while it still running (still in an unlocked state) and plug it in a computer. Then you have full access to the unlocked drive to modify it or clone it. Latest progress on the GS thread is that the hard drive was successfully cloned to an HDD but when put into a GS it failed because the car probably verify if it's in a locked state before running it... but it's getting there. I'm guessing by locking back the SSD with the same password as the original one it would succeed. This video explain how to upgrade maps for a toyota Avensis using the tool HDAT2 as pointed by Lynzoid but it seems to use the same Hitachi hard drive as the LS so I'm pretty sure this would work on our car:
. One crucial difference with the newer GS is that the car seems to boot an unlocked drive and lock it back automatically on older HDD. Then cheapest option would be to buy a SSD to PATA bridge for a few bucks on ebay. Definitely gonna try this if my hard drive ever fail.

Quick Reply: LS 460 Hard Drive replacement