LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Hard Drive replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 04:51 AM
car999
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve748
Kurt,

Sorry for the delay. Here's an attachment with some pictures that I hope will help out. I replaced my HDD today with a new drive that I purchased from Lexus for $1,000. They originally quoted my $1600 but the parts manager was able to get me a better price if I returned my non-working drive to Lexus. I was more than happy to oblige. I was going to see about cloning the drive and also see about getting a solid state drive but unfortunately I just didn't have time to pursue those avenues. Anyway I'm happy to report that I no longer have the "A program cannot be read, please consult to a dealer" message on my navi unit. After installing the new hard drive I have regained my rearview camera, maps (Albeit old map data from 2006) and all the other functionality of the nav unit. I'm a happy dude....for now If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to assist to the best of my ability.

Steve
Hi Steve, I have a 2009 LS600HL ( Canada) with the same issue" A program can not be read..." , I have managed to get out the HDD and tried to fix it but with no success , I will buy a new one from my dealer at a cost of $2000 CAD ( 1500 USD) . My questions to you is that when you bought the HDD , did you have it installed by the dealer or you did it yourself ? did the HDD need to be programmed or it was ready to install when you got it. All this questions because the dealer will not waranty my $2000 HDD purchase if it does not work . I will be very happy just like you...if it works and get all my functions back ( maps, rear view cam,climate controls, ...etc...) even with the map not updated . Thank you very much, Triett ( car999)
Old 05-07-22, 07:43 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Typically, a repair facility, especially a dealer, will warranty a part purchased from them and installed by them. The down side to supplying parts or doing the labor yourself is the lack of warranty.
Have the dealer do the install and you should be covered.
Old 05-07-22, 04:47 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by car999
Hi Steve, I have a 2009 LS600HL ( Canada) with the same issue" A program can not be read..." , I have managed to get out the HDD and tried to fix it but with no success , I will buy a new one from my dealer at a cost of $2000 CAD ( 1500 USD) . My questions to you is that when you bought the HDD , did you have it installed by the dealer or you did it yourself ? did the HDD need to be programmed or it was ready to install when you got it. All this questions because the dealer will not waranty my $2000 HDD purchase if it does not work . I will be very happy just like you...if it works and get all my functions back ( maps, rear view cam,climate controls, ...etc...) even with the map not updated . Thank you very much, Triett ( car999)
On my, now departed, 2007LS460 had the same problem, I have sent the whole unit to Hi-Tech Electronics in California ( if I remember right) they fixed it at a cost $650, shipped it back and I installed it, it worked with no problems.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (05-07-22)
Old 05-09-22, 04:28 AM
Steve748
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by car999
Hi Triett,
The drive came preprogrammed. So it was plug and play for me. I would imagine the same for you. But that’s an assumption. I definitely took a gamble that it would work knowing the dealer would most likely not warranty it. But I was so deep into the project that I didn’t mind the risk. You may want to have the dealer do the job if you’re concerned about warranty. My 2 cents. Best of everything. Let me know how you make out.
Steve
Old 06-05-22, 02:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Just starting to look around for options to clone existing GEN6 drive in my '12 GX 460 to a replacement drive. Just looking at it from feature continuity/fault tolerance perspective.

I'm planning to do this on my '07 G35x as well as that 14.5 year old drive is on borrowed time. They do an ATA lock on Infiniti navigation systems but apparently this can be turned down with FreeDOS and this ZU utility you need to run against the drive on native IDE.. no USB adapters.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/9644...d-password-zu/

Apparently I can enable all the GTR gauges if I want to on that rig.

Last of the hard drive models (GEN 6)

Last edited by Acrad; 06-05-22 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 02:49 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Just starting to look around for options to clone existing GEN6 drive in my '12 GX 460 to a replacement drive. Just looking at it from feature continuity/fault tolerance perspective.

I'm planning to do this on my '07 G35x as well as that 14.5 year old drive is on borrowed time. They do an ATA lock on Infiniti navigation systems but apparently this can be turned down with FreeDOS and this ZU utility you need to run against the drive on native IDE.. no USB adapters.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/9644...d-password-zu/

Apparently I can enable all the GTR gauges if I want to on that rig.
Whoa. I like it. Need someone tech savvy to make it happen.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-05-22)