LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Hard Drive replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 08:21 AM
rpe94
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS 460 Hard Drive replacement

I need to have my hard drive replaced. It doesn't work when it gets really cold out, but otherwise works perfectly.

I want to download the songs I have on it, so I can upload them to the new hard drive.

How can I go about doing this?

Thank you,

Ray "buried" in Boston
Old 02-13-15, 09:24 AM
mustafakha
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clone it

Just make a clone of your old HDD and it should have all you data including GPS maps, POI, songs etc. I would prefer using UltraISO.
Old 02-13-15, 10:06 AM
fly_s2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you happen to know if one could swap the hdd for one that had greater capacity?
Old 02-13-15, 12:12 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Unfortunately, integrated systems usually have the hard drive capacity burned into the system firmware, so this is unlikely. Please post a follow up to your hard drive exchange if this is successful (with pics!) - I know a lot of us will be facing this in the next couple of years, given the typical life of HDDs.
Old 02-13-15, 12:31 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I know I looked into it a while back and i think there may be more to it than just cloning the drive. I haven't tried it yet, but if I pull out the nav again for some reason, I probably will attempt it.
Old 02-13-15, 01:13 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

http://jp-carparts.com/lexus/partlis...ype=5&fig=8603

1,378.00$ for a hard drive, and this is even before dealer markup and labor (usually my dealer always sell everything twice the price of that guy for any part). I'm pretty sure the final bill at the dealer would be well over 3000$ for that thing. There should be laws against ripoff of this magnitude. I'm pretty sure this is just a standard 2.5 inch laptop hardrive, probably of the rugged type (and to add insult to injury it's only 30gig). I'd be very surprised it you couldn't clone it and swap it with just any regular HD and even increase capacity. If it was mine I would swap it for ssd memory (if the connector are sata) for improved reliability. If you ever manage to get picture of it it would be great if you could post them here. It would be interesting too if you could dump a copy of the systems files of that thing and see if it would be possible to tweak.
Old 02-13-15, 06:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

If it was mine I would swap it for ssd memory (if the connector are sata) for improved reliability.
Oh man.... an SSD would be awesome!
Old 02-27-15, 04:59 PM
Steve748
10th Gear

Gents,
I'm there. I believe my HDD is finally toast. I had an intermittent "Could Not Read Map Data" message over the past year and I could hear the faint sound of a Hard Drive searching (click,click,click). Now when I start my '07 LS 460 the screen stays black and then says "A program could not be read". Is it possible to remove the console and replace the hard drive and then have Lexus install the operating software and Map Data? I'm not looking forward to what they will charge to do the whole job themselves. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Steve
Old 02-27-15, 05:45 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Last year there was something posted about the hard drive which stated it was a specific size and it did not appear to be something easily cloned. I gave up my interest in it as I haven't taken out my nav unit lately.
Old 08-28-15, 12:42 PM
Getmotiv8d
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing map hard drive

Originally Posted by greg3852
Last year there was something posted about the hard drive which stated it was a specific size and it did not appear to be something easily cloned. I gave up my interest in it as I haven't taken out my nav unit lately.
my Map hard drive just went out in my 2007 Lexus LS 460 a few months ago. The new map hard drive cost $1665 plus tax at the dealership total cost for a map hard drive and installation is $1900.
Old 08-29-15, 08:37 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Has anyone tried to swap his with one from another LS? If that works then hopefully someone can create an image of his so that it can be burned onto a generic 30GB 2.5 hard drive.

Originally Posted by Getmotiv8d
my Map hard drive just went out in my 2007 Lexus LS 460 a few months ago. The new map hard drive cost $1665 plus tax at the dealership total cost for a map hard drive and installation is $1900.
Old 11-05-15, 04:43 PM
wilkesmann
Driver School Candidate

Default Where is the Harddisc

Hello I have the same problem with my US LS460 2008 model, nothing works. can anybody tell me where the HD is? And is it easy to get it out/ self replaced?

thank you
Kurt (Switzerland)

Originally Posted by rpe94
I need to have my hard drive replaced. It doesn't work when it gets really cold out, but otherwise works perfectly.

I want to download the songs I have on it, so I can upload them to the new hard drive.

How can I go about doing this?

Thank you,

Ray "buried" in Boston
Old 11-09-15, 05:01 AM
Steve748
10th Gear

Hey Kurt,

The HDD is located in the rear of the flat screen display. In order to get to it, you'll have to remove the glove box, the 2 leather side panels on the gear shift console and the plastic panel beneath the steering column. There's about 6 screws holding the flat screen in. It's been about half a year since I pulled mine out so I'm forgetting the details. It's not to hard to get out but your have to be careful prying out the wood trim over the flat screen unit and also the airbag below the glove box has to come out. So make sure your battery is disconnected. I have pictures from when I did it. I'll find them and see if I can post them.
But the problem is not so much getting to it, it's getting the new one programmed. From what I'm reading, it costs $1600 for a HDD from Lexus. This is a HDD that can be bought for $60 on Amazon. So the dealer is in essence marking up the unit $1500 which is ridiculous if you ask me. So I pulled mine out took pictures and put it back together. I'm still driving with a blank screen. If anyone knows how to program a new HDD please let us all know!!!

Originally Posted by wilkesmann
Hello I have the same problem with my US LS460 2008 model, nothing works. can anybody tell me where the HD is? And is it easy to get it out/ self replaced?

thank you
Kurt (Switzerland)
Old 11-09-15, 08:00 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

I'm still driving with a blank screen. If anyone knows how to program a new HDD please let us all know!!!
Indeed! Whoever does, will be VERY popular here at CL.
Old 11-10-15, 05:01 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Well, the dealer isn't making $1500 - they aren't getting the drive from Lexus for $50. Lexus load the drive with the necessary operating system, programming and maps and then sell it to the dealer.

I see no reason why a cloning program can't make a bit-for-bit copy of the drive but someone will need to get a working drive out of another car and try that first.

Oh, and don't believe all the hype about SSDs. They have a lifetime about the same as a mechanical drive because they are limited by the number of read/write cycles (MLC). Of course, if you can afford an SLC SSD, that might mitigate the read/write cycle issue. Also SSDs have some fundamental differences from mechanical drives so, while you might be able to clone a mechanical to mechanical drive, mechanical to SSD might be more problematic.

None of which is meant to deflect attention from the cost of the (inevitable) drive replacement!

Quick Reply: LS 460 Hard Drive replacement