LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Low beam issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 05:30 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Low beam issue

I've tried searching for the problem I'm having, but I can't seem to find a solution.

What is happening is my driver's side low beam light goes out while driving. I usually can notice a little flickering of my headlights prior to this happening and then all of a sudden the left bulb goes out. I then shut off my headlights for a second and turn them back on - and they tend to stay on for the remainder of my journey. This now happens every time I use them. It goes out, I shut them off, turn them back on...then the problem tends to be gone for the rest of my trip...unless I shut the car off, then it will happen again (once per drive cycle it seems).

I imagine it's not a bulb because those either work, or they're burned out. I would think perhaps it's a loose connection, but it happens only once per drive cycle and it happens every single time. Loose connections aren't as predictable as that.

I'm not really sure what the headlight systems of these cars include...weather it be resisters, modules, motors, etc. I realize the headlights turn when the steering wheel does, so there is a motor involved. I know when I bought my car the driver's side headlight assembly was replaced, but it didn't give me any troubles for the first year I've owned it. It is very cold where I am right now, with temperatures in the often falling into the single digits...I wonder if that's not helping things? And I do wash my car at least twice a week - and I do spray the salt off the front quite vigorously...perhaps there's some freezing going on in the connectors? I don't know. And like I said I know next to nothing about how this system works on this car...anyone know anything about the headlight system?
Old 02-28-15, 05:34 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Guys sorry for the wasted thread...I think I found the answer right on this site by doing a google search (that brought me here), rather than searching through this site's search bar.

According to the thread I found it's the headlight bulbs. The guy had the exact same problem and someone answered that the bulbs were going.
Old 02-28-15, 05:52 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad you found the answer. And it made me want to go wash my car.
Old 02-28-15, 06:01 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greg3852
Glad you found the answer. And it made me want to go wash my car.
LOL! Yeah it's been a couple of days for me - the road salt must be getting less on the roads because my car still looked almost clean for two days. Progress, but it will need an undercarriage spray on Monday. I'm getting sick of living around here.
Old 02-28-15, 07:14 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Guys sorry for the wasted thread...I think I found the answer right on this site by doing a google search (that brought me here), rather than searching through this site's search bar. According to the thread I found it's the headlight bulbs. The guy had the exact same problem and someone answered that the bulbs were going.
Double make sure you replace both low beams so they will color match temp wise and provide the same light output.
Old 02-28-15, 07:25 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tee
Double make sure you replace both low beams so they will color match temp wise and provide the same light output.
Sound advice. I can buy the original Philips bulbs for around 65-70 bucks a pair on eBay right now. I've done a little more research and apparently there are other factors to consider...balister and igniters, with the bulbs being the number one culprit. Also apparently cold weather does have an effect on the problem...and I've also read that a weak bulb can destroy the balister.

I'm probably just going to do the bulbs as they seemed to be of different intensity/brightness anyway.
Old 02-28-15, 08:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Sound advice. I can buy the original Philips bulbs for around 65-70 bucks a pair on eBay right now. I've done a little more research and apparently there are other factors to consider...balister and igniters, with the bulbs being the number one culprit. Also apparently cold weather does have an effect on the problem...and I've also read that a weak bulb can destroy the balister.

I'm probably just going to do the bulbs as they seemed to be of different intensity/brightness anyway.
As stated, you must replace both bulbs for accurate and equal light output.

Furthermore, you may be happier with these (I know I am):

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...d4s-bulbs.html

I installed 5k version and they are amazing. HIDplanet.com rates them very highly and they're a great value compared to other bulbs manufacturers (Phillips etc). A few members here at CL have them and love 'em.
Old 02-28-15, 11:20 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As stated, you must replace both bulbs for accurate and equal light output.

Furthermore, you may be happier with these (I know I am):

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...d4s-bulbs.html

I installed 5k version and they are amazing. HIDplanet.com rates them very highly and they're a great value compared to other bulbs manufacturers (Phillips etc). A few members here at CL have them and love 'em.
Excellent, and the 5500k look great...how much is it to ship? I haven't created an account yet and I didn't notice shipping in the menu.
Old 02-28-15, 12:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Excellent, and the 5500k look great...how much is it to ship? I haven't created an account yet and I didn't notice shipping in the menu.
Well.... my order came to 67 bucks all in. Not sure if shipping costs change according to your location. I shipped mine to Washington State.

Also, there are a few online discount coupons available, so be sure to try those too.
Old 02-28-15, 01:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well.... my order came to 67 bucks all in. Not sure if shipping costs change according to your location. I shipped mine to Washington State.

Also, there are a few online discount coupons available, so be sure to try those too.
Ok, thanks. Looks like a good deal....I'll be ordering a pair this week.